Concordia News: Please Post Here

kingcruiser1

Having been on a bridge where the commanding officer was carrying out a complex manoeuvre and when he ordered 'stop both engines' and got the reply...'Repeat your last!'.. things went pear shaped in the blink of an eye.

Thankfully all was recovered with no harm done, just a lot of red faces, along with an extremely angry captain.

However is it fair to suggest that in this case from what we are reading, experts have re-enacted the scenario and the delay that is being discussed had NO INFLUENCE on the outcome?

The helmsman as an individual might well be extremely hard done by but I was not in court and have not heard the evidence or read any transcripts?? (are there any and if so are they available for public access) so I have to accept his guilty plea.

I do have a degree of sympathy toward this person but that is without being in possession of the facts regarding his prosection??

I would however like to ask those who are much better informed than me the following.

How did this person get selected for such a task?

What training did they undergo?

What supervision did they have during their training?

Who was responsible for allocating this person to that job and were they aware of his skill levels in whatever language was to be used on the bridge?

I fail to see what the water tight doors have to do with this manoeuvre but I fear I might be slightly bias in my sympathy toward this captain??

an amzing salvage operation and here's hoping her keel can stand up to the task of supporting the ship until it is refloated? (question)

Edited by glojo

“Schettino is not the only one responsible,” said Daniele Bocciolini, a lawyer for several survivors.

“He’s not responsible for the lifeboats that couldn’t be launched nor for the emergency generators that failed,” he added.

Interesting that the lawyer for the claimants made the above statement, as for the guy who says 13 seconds made no difference well yes it did, the difference between a Damned Big hole and what may have been a small one!

Ok the collision may well have still taken place but with a less disastrous outcome.

Still find it odd that they are only after one person when others were there and were as much to blame despite the Captain having overall control.

Hi Micki

The reports I have read quoting Franco Gabrielli.

"The agency's head, Franco Gabrielli, reaffirmed that further tests were needed but told reporters the remains were "absolutely consistent" with the two missing people, said Reuters news agency."

I am reluctant to over optimistic as it may have lost something in translation. But reading that it does look as if both Maria and Russel have been found. Lets hope so.

Can I ask those of us who know more than me if the clothing and things like belts, jewellery etc would have survived and is that the reason Mr Gabrielli is so confident about what they have found.

Clive, from what others said on the other thread many months ago, yes, some things such as you mentioned could have survived.

I could go a little further but it would be a gross conversation. However, that said, if they were in the area crushed from being on the outcrop, the fishies may not have had access to them tho there is still the possibility of the conditions the location and the water could have.

Light, I saw the pictures yesterday. I looked closely, trying to decide if was an illusion created by the uneven line of the starboard side that made the bow look bent. The ship is blocked enough by what I believe was the command center to see the bow enough to know for sure.

At this point, I kind of think illusion.

Hi Micki

I did hesitate before posting as I didn't want to step over the line of good taste, I sincerely hope I didn't. If I did I unreservedly apologise.

My thoughts go out to the people that have to carry out the actual recovery, its hard to think of a worse job. I only hope that the gratitude of the families can ease their thoughts.

Hi Micki

I did hesitate before posting as I didn't want to step over the line of good taste, I sincerely hope I didn't. If I did I unreservedly apologise.

My thoughts go out to the people that have to carry out the actual recovery, its hard to think of a worse job. I only hope that the gratitude of the families can ease their thoughts.

Clive, like you, I chose my words carefully to respond. I too hope I didn't cross that line. Unfortunately reality sometimes bites.

I do believe the families have been warned of the possible conditions. They are the ones I am most concerned about. Being warned is one thing, dealing with reality is another. But I think of Russel's brother. In one interview I read, he just wants something to take home to bury properly and a place where he can pay his respects. I believe Maria's husband feels the same. He was so uncomfortable with the thought she had "washed out to sea."

It's all about closure for them.

found some satellite photos before & after parbuckling that I don't think was posted yet - seems to me there's noticible deformation where the bow was dangling over the mountain. She seems slightly bent to starboard.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/25/costa-concordia-before-and-after-photos_n_3989756.html

I think it's an illusion caused by the crushed side resting on the rock.

I would say that both people would likely have things with them that would identify them even after 20 months. For example, the crew member will have his name tag which is either bronze or gold plated and would still be pretty much intact and also he would likely had his employee ID with him which is a plastic card. And there is a good chance that the passenger had her card key with her which has the name printed. Even if the printed name has worn off, the magnetic strip would likely be readable which would identify the cabin number. This is assuming their chothes are still with the remains.

Luis, I didn't bring the whole link over because it pretty much is a repeat of everything we have linked already. I did bring an update which had this in it:

The head of the civil protection agency, Franco Gabrielli, told reporters the remains discovered on Thursday were "absolutely consistent" with the two missing people, an Indian man and an Italian woman.

Leads me to believe something in the way of an ID or clothing has provided some answers.

As always, positive ID's must be made but this has to bring some sort of relief to the families.

So thankful that all concerned with righting Concordia were ever mindful of those left behind.