Travel with special needs children

rocking-m-cruiser

Help, I apologize if I started a duplicate thread but I have been unable to find this information. I will be sailing in the next couple of weeks with my sister and this is her first cruise. She will have her FOUR kids ages 5-11 with her. Yikes! LOL!

Her 8 yr old twins are special needs with Downs and I am trying to find some answers. Since my kiddos are grown and I have never cruised with kids before I do not know anything about Camp Carnival.

Does anyone know anything about Camp Carnival? If you had children there with special needs, did they like it? How was the supervision? How is the interaction with the kids? Do they let the children out of the room unsupervised? Carnival is sending information for registration but I wanted to let her know something ahead of time. I'm a tag along this cruise to help and do not know anything about this. I've heard alot of great things on CC but not too much with special needs. Any information would be helpful.:rolleyes:

http://www.*****/Carnival/info.html

Children with Special Needs

Carnival Cruise Lines is dedicated to offering the finest cruising experience for our guests with disabilities and special requirements. A Fun Ship® cruise vacation is perfect for people who have a special need for fun. Our ships provide excellent service and a variety of accessibility features to make your voyage an exciting, relaxing and memorable one.

The following information highlights some of the conditions under which our onboard Carnival Youth Program accepts children with special needs into the respective programs (Camp Carnival, Circle “C” and Club O2).

· In order to participate in any Carnival Youth Program activities the parent or legal guardian will need to complete a registration form.

· You will also be given an alternate special needs checklist, which will help aid the Youth Staff in how to best serve your child while participating in the activities.

· Children with special needs have the option to move down one age group if this will help them better adapt to the environment.

· We do not provide one on one attention, but if this is necessary, the parent or legal guardian, assigned helper is welcome to stay and participate with the child during activity times.

· Parents of children with special needs will be provided with a beeper or phone (if applicable).

· Youth Programs Important Information rules still apply to all children, in terms of administration of medication, illness, hours and unacceptable behavior while in the program.

· The Youth Staff may not administer any medication and/or needles to any child participating in the Carnival Youth Program. Additionally, no medications with the exception of epi-pens, diabetic testing equipment and inhalers are permitted in the facilities.

· Should a child still be in diapers and they are older/bigger than what the diaper changing table can hold, then the parent or legal guardian will be called to assist.

· Youth Staff cannot lift children with mobility disabilities.

· Since the Youth Staff are not able to provide one-on-one assistance, children will need to be able to feed themselves. In the event that a child needs to be fed, a parent or guardian may remain with the child during dinner, or bring the child to activities following the dinner service.

We have a guest comment code for children with special needs. The purpose of this code is to give advance notice to the Youth Program counselors on board for children that have a special need that we do not have an existing code for. Guest Access Services will use the special needs code “3” for guests 17 years of age and younger that have pre-identified a special need such as:

• Autism
  • Down’s Syndrome
  • Allergies
  • And other disabilities that we do not have a specific code for

Note: The “3” code is not to be used for a child who uses a wheelchair, is diabetic, deaf or blind as we already have existing codes for these disabilities.

On our transAtlantic on the Magic in Oct., a dad was cruising with his teen daughter who had Down's. She had the most fun of anyone I've ever seen on a cruise. I realize I'm not really answering your question because she was older than the 8 year olds. But just want you to know that everyone I saw interacting with her found her just delightful. I have a photo in my album of her dancing and having the time of her life. We had lunch with them one day, and very much enjoyed it. Hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise.:)

On our transAtlantic on the Magic in Oct., a dad was cruising with his teen daughter who had Down's. She had the most fun of anyone I've ever seen on a cruise. I realize I'm not really answering your question because she was older than the 8 year olds. But just want you to know that everyone I saw interacting with her found her just delightful. I have a photo in my album of her dancing and having the time of her life. We had lunch with them one day, and very much enjoyed it. Hope you and your family have a wonderful cruise.:)

Thank you for the info. Did you happen to see if there was interaction with other kids? These guys are happy all the time, love to play and be played with.:p

My son was in a group with an older girl (he was 3, I suppose she was 7 or 8) with Downs on the last cruise. They told her she was going to be a helper with the littler kids (though I suspect she knew what was happening as well as we did) ... she was over the moon and the Camp Carnival women were amazing with her and treated her like she was one of the little kid care workers rather than a kid herself - it obviously was something the parents came up with, but they pulled it off - you could see she felt very special and seemed genuinely happy to be there.

My son has peanut and tree nut allergies, and needs an epipen near him ... on the last cruise they thought he *might* be having a reaction because his face looked flushed and called me right away. It was nothing (he was just red from running around and his Indian skin tone tends to show in flushed circles on his cheeks - poor kid!), but I am glad they called me before he needed the injection, instead of waiting it out.

Here's hoping you have a similar experience. From what I have seen on the ship, the older kids do a lot of video games and tv stuff - some are allowed supervised pool time and to check themselves in and out (but that is with parental approval) ... good luck!

My son was in a group with an older girl (he was 3, I suppose she was 7 or 8) with Downs on the last cruise. They told her she was going to be a helper with the littler kids (though I suspect she knew what was happening as well as we did) ... she was over the moon and the Camp Carnival women were amazing with her and treated her like she was one of the little kid care workers rather than a kid herself - it obviously was something the parents came up with, but they pulled it off - you could see she felt very special and seemed genuinely happy to be there.

My son has peanut and tree nut allergies, and needs an epipen near him ... on the last cruise they thought he *might* be having a reaction because his face looked flushed and called me right away. It was nothing (he was just red from running around and his Indian skin tone tends to show in flushed circles on his cheeks - poor kid!), but I am glad they called me before he needed the injection, instead of waiting it out.

Here's hoping you have a similar experience. From what I have seen on the ship, the older kids do a lot of video games and tv stuff - some are allowed supervised pool time and to check themselves in and out (but that is with parental approval) ... good luck!

The kids can check themselves out? I had no idea on that.

The kids can check themselves out? I had no idea on that.

Older children - 9-11 year olds ... the parents have to give approval for the kids to be able to do that throughout the cruise. It is so the older kids who want to use the video games and tvs or participate in some activities can check themselves in and out of the Camp Carnival without a parent actually walking them to and from the room. I would never do this (I don't trust a 9-11 year old unsupervised on a ship - anything could happen!) but people do ....

This link has some helpful info: http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/emb_guest_specials_requirements.aspx

If she hasn't already I would email the specialneeds@carnival.com folks. I found them to be very helpful when I had some specific concerns about cruising (my son has autism).

Thanks Julie for the links. Great help! My sister looked at some of the links and the website concerning special needs children. We would also like to hear from guest who have been there. So far there hasn't been a big response. My quess is, either there might not be as many good experiences as we had hoped or people don't want to talk about it. I completely understand. Thanks again!:)

Happy cruising!

Also you might want to check out the special interest cruising section. Looks like you might also find some info there. Here is one post I saw there :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1529110 The OP has a son with Autism but I saw other posts referencing Downs Syndrome. HTH!

I will check it out. Thanks again for all the information for my sis. Getting her out of the house to go on a vacation was a trick in itself and she wouldn't take one without her kids. (Maybe that's why her kids are so well behaved...I dont know) I couldn't possible find a better solution other than a cruise with Carnival. I've had a marvelous time on all my cruises. Not one complaint. Thanks and HAPPY CRUISING!:)

My daughter has special needs and has cruised many times; we always had positive experiences with the kids' program staff, and I have heard/read many other great reviews over the years. I know it's always possible you'll run into that one person you don't hit it off with, but I also think the parent's attitude and expectations have a lot to do with how successful the experience is.

In addition to activities staff, the dining room staff have always been WONDERFUL with my daughter, recognizing that she would prefer the kids menu, etc. and have always been great about including her in their dancing, etc.

Good luck, and I hope your family has a fantastic experience!

We carried our 5 year DGD on a cruise last year. She has ADHD. She absolutely loved Camp Carnival. The workers were great with her. She didn't want to leave when we went to pick her up. They gave us a cell phone to use if we wanted to check on her and so they could call us if need be. There is a good variety of toys and games. The activities are age/ability specific and structured. They painted the kids' faces like pirates and Funship Freddy, made a Dora Explorer backpack, a pirate mask, and sand art. They have signatures on file of those who are allowed to pick them up and they can not leave with anyone else. (Unless the parent had given them written permission to leave on their own). The kids are allowed to play on their own or in groups, their choice. There is a good ratio of staff to children. On embankment day, you would be able to tour the facilities, meet the staff and register the kids. I have a nephew who has a mental disability and I would not be afraid at all to leave him in Camp Carnival. I hope you, your sister and the kids have a great cruise.

Sorry I used the word kids so much. My DH reminds me "kids" are baby goats. But as a child, I heard, "Kids keep it quiet!" so much, it is embedded into my brain...:D

We carried our 5 year DGD on a cruise last year. She has ADHD. She absolutely loved Camp Carnival. The workers were great with her. She didn't want to leave when we went to pick her up. They gave us a cell phone to use if we wanted to check on her and so they could call us if need be. There is a good variety of toys and games. The activities are age/ability specific and structured. They painted the kids' faces like pirates and Funship Freddy, made a Dora Explorer backpack, a pirate mask, and sand art. They have signatures on file of those who are allowed to pick them up and they can not leave with anyone else. (Unless the parent had given them written permission to leave on their own). The kids are allowed to play on their own or in groups, their choice. There is a good ratio of staff to children. On embankment day, you would be able to tour the facilities, meet the staff and register the kids. I have a nephew who has a mental disability and I would not be afraid at all to leave him in Camp Carnival. I hope you, your sister and the kids have a great cruise.

Sorry I used the word kids so much. My DH reminds me "kids" are baby goats. But as a child, I heard, "Kids keep it quiet!" so much, it is embedded into my brain...:D

Thanks you have eased our minds greatly. I use kids too. LOL!

My son is high functioning autism, and he cruised with us 3 times. They will give you a phone, so you be in better contact. They were very good about making my son feel welcome. He did make friends on the cruise. I don't really think the kids club had a lot to do with that, though. He is not outgoing but tends to make one or two good friends who are a little shy, like him.

The only problem we had was one night he wanted to be with his sister, who is one level in age down from him. Even though the rules said he could go down in age if needed, they would not let him. Minor problem.

All in all, my son loved cruising and makes some great friends. I am sure everyone will have a positive experience.

Archived