Art or Pottery for Souvenirs?

jdblakeslee

We always like to seek out a place to purchase a nice piece of art or pottery as a souvenir. No junk, please...something really special, perhaps crafted by a local artisan. Can anyone direct me to such a place or area in any of the islands?

Thanks, in advance,

Jennifer

Up in the Volcanoes National Park there is an art gallery. It is next to the Visitor's Center in a long, low, old and historic building which was one of the original buildings in the park. They feature all local artists and have everything from pottery, ceramics, and jewelry to furniture. There are beautiful and unique things to fit all budgets. It is a wonderful place and is often overlooked by visitors in their rush to see all the other sights in the park. We always stop at this gallery with our visitors and they usually find something wonderful to take home with them.

Thanks, y'all! Exactly the sort of info I was hoping for! We found some amazing things in Alaska a few years ago, things that really represent what we love about Alaska. I'm hoping to find something just as special in Hawaii!

Jennifer

Aloha!

Galleries are a terrific location to find something really unique but don't hesitate to wander through one of the many street markets on the various islands - we have been blessed with collecting many beautiful original pieces of artwork over the years including Hawaiian petroglyph metal sculptures, tapa cloth pictures and even hand-drawn artwork from a local fellow on the beach in Mahaka, Oahu. Quite often we have enjoyed "talking story" with the artists to learn about their inspiration in creating the pieces which gives even more meaning to our treasures.

Have fun exploring and seeking out that perfect piece to add to your travel stories!

We'll certainly keep our eyes out for those out-of-the-way spots that have some of the best things! Years ago, I visited my sister who was living in Honolulu at the time, and we went to a "swap meet" where I found THE most amazing framed batik print...I paid $ 4.00 for it and, unfortunately, lost it in Hurricane Katrina. The print was not valuable but more a remembrance of the month I shared with her and her children.

I'll be on the look-out!

Jennifer

There is a flea market in the port of Kona-just a short walk from the pier-maybe a mile, to the right of the pier, just off the main street. I found an older local women there who was painting traditional Hawaiian symbols on tapa. I picked out a pair of turtles representing family. The painting is about 10x8, was easy to transport home, and it was not very expensive. It was nice to see the women working and although she did not speak English well she was able to tell me she had been doing painting in this way since she was quite young and her son now helped her to run a business and obtain the tapa. The painting is simple, warm and reminds me of our trip every time I see it!

Also in Kona, on your way to the farmers market mentioned above, walk through the Kona Inn shopping complex on the waterfront side of the street. Most of the shops have the usual tourist stuff, but keep going almost to the end on the right hand side and there's a small shop selling "made in Hawaii" things. Some art prints, lots of hand made jewelry, very nice stuff. While you're in the Kona Inn complex, stop for lunch or a Mai Tai at the Kona Inn restaurant or the Canoe House. Both offer great views of your ship and good food and drink!

Archived