Please don't flame me

Herbaltees

Carnival executives. I assume it may be an English way of referring to the execs, not sure where the term comes from. Perhaps: In Greco-Roman antiquity the beard was "seen as the defining characteristic of the philosopher; philosophers had to have beards, and anyone with a beard was assumed to be a philosopher.(wiki)

Carnival executives. I assume it may be an English way of referring to the execs, not sure where the term comes from. Perhaps: In Greco-Roman antiquity the beard was "seen as the defining characteristic of the philosopher; philosophers had to have beards, and anyone with a beard was assumed to be a philosopher.(wiki)

Ahh! This makes sense. I have only known the term to be used along with hiding one's sexuality.

one would think this was way before schick, and everyone had a beard. :rolleyes:

It's similar to the use of the word "suits" in describing upper management. You called them "suits" because back in the day ( and still today in some places ) they all wore suits.

These days I love (sarcasm) the word "they". It's a great (sarcasm again) way for someone to try to pass on an allegedly immutable, unpopular requirement or decision without actually releasing the identity and level of the person(s) who made the decision.

I never except "they" when someone is trying to tell me how to do my job.

While I have heard of excecutives being called "the beards" in my circle "the suits" is more common.

I had never heard about bearding being a homosexual disquise. When I was single (a million years ago) or when my husband is out of town, I have a very good and very straight friend that will "beard" me to an event. In other words be my date.

Pretty neat to hear different takes on a phrase.

not sure why he chose "beard", cause here, it's someone you marry or date, to hide your homosexuality.

Ahh! This makes sense. I have only known the term to be used along with hiding one's sexuality.

I've never heard this!! :eek: & I live on earth!! :D

I'm waiting to see who is going to rush to put this thread or gist of it on JH's face book or blog :rolleyes:

Carole

it doesn't matter. he'll post the question.

85% will say he can do no wrong

14% will discredit the source.

1% will still be standing guard.

I've never heard this!! :eek: & I live on earth!! :D

I've heard it from both directions, a "beard" hides male homosexuality and "mustache" hides female homosexuality. However, I've also heard execs being referred to as "beards" and "suits".

Archived