Tipping: What should we expect to tip on excursions & B&Bs?

azguy

I didn't mean $10 for everyone I come into contact with. But for a job well done by an employee of an excursion that usually lasts for hours, I think $10 isn't much. I'd never tip an owner either.

And welfare is something that is given mostly to the lazy, unmotivated non-contributing member of society. I don't believe in welfare but am forced to give it anyway. I believe in rewarding a job well done - with a nice tip when it's been earned.

My daughter is in the hospitality industry part time while she is earning her degree in that field. She works in a non tipped position. She tells me about the young men who work with her in positions where tips aren't expected but are accepted. Some people will tip nothing, some a buck or two, and some will hand over a $5. The guests all get the same treatment whether they tip or not. But she says the guys are so excited when they get a good tip. It makes their day. And they continue to work hard for everyone - tips or no tips. I'd rather make someone's day. But only if they do a really nice job.

This is no roast...just a clarification. Hopefully. I'm not in the business of handing out welfare to the lazy. But I do like to encourage those who work their butts off. And not at the rate of $10 for a few minutes. It does seem that most excursions cost more than $100 and last a couple of hours or more with a few exceptions. Each one should be looked at individually.

What I DON'T like is the way the guy's who handle the baggage at the port expect more then they are worth. They handle the bags for a few minutes and expect a $20. Why can't they behave in a civilized manner like the skycaps at the airport?

Archived