Upgrades

Cordaline

We are booked on QE2 4th Oct in M1 outside, How does the upgrade system work,and how do you rate our chances?

David, as MUFI says, no one really knows how it works - the thing to watch is the cruise price nearer the time you sail - if for some reason the cruise does not sell well & prices drop get onto your travel agent to see if Cunard will give you better cabins - in an M1, booking 6 months out, you may have a reasonable chance - but don't worry about it - there will be people on the cruise who paid more than you - and others who paid less - and its the latter who will want to talk about it. If someone's opening gambit is 'How much did you pay' you can bet i) they got a good deal and ii) they want to show off about it....on one crossing (not on Cunard) we got so weary of this we invented an outrageous story ''$99 including 6 category upgrade to deluxe balcony suite, $500 onboard credit and free helicopter transfers' just to watch their faces fall....some of them didn't even work out we were joking!

Enjoy!

Peter

David, as MUFI says, no one really knows how it works - the thing to watch is the cruise price nearer the time you sail - if for some reason the cruise does not sell well & prices drop get onto your travel agent to see if Cunard will give you better cabins - in an M1, booking 6 months out, you may have a reasonable chance - but don't worry about it - there will be people on the cruise who paid more than you - and others who paid less - and its the latter who will want to talk about it. If someone's opening gambit is 'How much did you pay' you can bet i) they got a good deal and ii) they want to show off about it....on one crossing (not on Cunard) we got so weary of this we invented an outrageous story ''$99 including 6 category upgrade to deluxe balcony suite, $500 onboard credit and free helicopter transfers' just to watch their faces fall....some of them didn't even work out we were joking!

Enjoy!

Peter

Thank you Peter

If it was left to my golfing gods we would probably get down graded. What sort of bribe do you make to the upgrade gods?

I once threw a set of clubs into the lake near the eighteenth green, and my golf improved no end.The pro sold me another set twice as dear.

Cordaline

The Upgrade Fairy, is a unique and wonderful person, she will quietly come along and ever so gently, tap you on the shoulder, and woosh !! you have an upgrade, if you know what to look for you can almost sense her arrival, if you dont it can be a very welcome surprise at checkin to hear those magic words,

"youve been upgraded!!"

My experience, chased her all over the place, eventually caught hold of her, and eventually she gave in and gave me an upgrade.

Quite how she decides really is anybodys guess, l dont believe there is a system in place, and past passenger loyality believe me doesnt count!!! l knew a passenger on my last QE2 cruise, she was a 1st timer and upgraded from Mauretania to Queens Grill.

But if you do managed to be touched by the upgrade fairy, Good luck!!!!

cheers

Myles

How can you track the cruise prices? When I look at the Cunard website, nothing changes!

Find an internet cruise discounter (tho we are not allowed to mention them by name, they often have ads at the top of the page...) and keep track. Cunard's published prices will be the highest anywhere.

Peter

The Upgrade Fairy, is a unique and wonderful person, she will quietly come along and ever so gently, tap you on the shoulder, and woosh !! you have an upgrade, if you know what to look for you can almost sense her arrival, if you dont it can be a very welcome surprise at checkin to hear those magic words,

"youve been upgraded!!"

My experience, chased her all over the place, eventually caught hold of her, and eventually she gave in and gave me an upgrade.

Quite how she decides really is anybodys guess, l dont believe there is a system in place, and past passenger loyality believe me doesnt count!!! l knew a passenger on my last QE2 cruise, she was a 1st timer and upgraded from Mauretania to Queens Grill.

But if you do managed to be touched by the upgrade fairy, Good luck!!!!

cheers

Myles

As long as it is a Fairy with wings,I will welcome her with open arms. Any other "Fairy"............

Cordaline.....you're sailing on a ship called 'QUEEN'.....I'd tread carefully if I were you.......
:D Maybe he's worried about losing his wife to a better dance partner?

We just got "visited" and it seemed to help to book a guarantee rather than a specific cabin. We were booked in a category with only 8 (?) cabins, so the upgrade was fairly likely, and we're very happy.

Well said Guernseyguy,

I mean QE2... Named by the Queen,launched by the Queen and run by so many.... people.. all of them very happy...

And as for me, why do you think lm called Cunardqueen????? answers please on a postcard... LOL

But yes the illusive upgrade fairy, reminds me of Santa, we all know he comes one a year, but how often does the upgrade fairy come, now l think l shall leave the matter there.......................

cheers

Myles aka cunardqueen@aol.com if your on aol check it out???

We just got "visited" and it seemed to help to book a guarantee rather than a specific cabin. We were booked in a category with only 8 (?) cabins, so the upgrade was fairly likely, and we're very happy.

Happy for your good fortune.

I hope you'll share the specifics with us. Did you make final payment far in advance of the final deadline? Have you sailed with Cunard before? Which sailing are you on and is it one that is being currently discounted?

Oh, and yes, what was the upgrade?

Thanks in advance.

2moose,

I have signed up for Sailmail numerous times but I still haven't received anything! It's hard to know what to ask my TA to do - she is great and has been very helpful for many trips. She's already gotten us a $200 reduction of our final payment. BUT, if higher priced cabins are now going for what we've already paid (we made our final payment last week), we want one of those! We were on a Radisson cruise last summer, and, after we booked, they started offering free air or $1000 per passenger off the cruise price. We had already booked mileage tickets, so Radisson very cheerfully lowered our final payment by $2000! I don't understand why Cunard won't do the same. I just don't know how to find out what the "deals" are. Radisson keeps a big list of specials on their website - you can track the fares and take advantage of anything until the ship is full. Why is Cunard seemingly so secretive?

Thanks to anyone who can help with this!

How can you track the cruise prices? When I look at the Cunard website, nothing changes!

recent sail mail $1,690usd for b-7 cat with one way air included. i'm sure there will be many takers and many upgrades. ciao ciao bella

2moose,

Do you have any idea when you received your most recent sail mail from Cunard?

I too have attempted to sign up on numerous occasions to no avail. As of April 8 Cunard informed me I was set to receive sail mail, though I am still awaiting this elusive Cunard correspondence.

Thanks kindly,

Cruiserking

I too have attempted to sign up on numerous occasions to no avail.

Cruiserking - I have long been signed up & receive mail sporadically - the most recent (today) for a Crossing I am already booked on. Fortunately this was for a UK offer departing in a week so was MORE expensive than I'd paid via a US TA over a month ago......

.....Clueless...or what.....

Peter

recent sail mail $1,690usd for b-7 cat with one way air included. i'm sure there will be many takers and many upgrades. ciao ciao bella

2 days ago offer was in british pounds and usd(i get both). it is my experience although the usd$ is falling the prices are almost always cheaper to the yanks, go figure, the brits always pay more.ANYONE KNOW WHY????????????BEST TO ALL

:D Maybe he's worried about losing his wife to a better dance partner?

What is the diference between Specific and guaranted?

Cordaline

We didn't have a specific cabin assigned to us, but paid the P3 rate. We were "guaranteed" at least a P3 cabin, but had the chance that, were a P3 not available, that we would be upgraded. We're now in a Q3. I'm not sure if this is generally available with Cunard, but have done this with other lines.

What is the diference between Specific and guaranted?

Cordaline

Specific cabin is where you have a defined cabin number eg 8345, Guarantee is where you are not assigned a specific cabin until a couple of weeks before the sailing - but you will get that grade of cabin, or better - so for example on the QE2 if you book an 'M1 Guarantee' you could be assigned an M1 cabin, or you could get a Caronia grade cabin....Generally I have booked Guarantees in the past - sometimes you get what you book, sometimes something better. Reasons for not booking a Guarantee for example is if someone has mobility problems and wanted to be sure they were near the lifts, or were travelling in a party and wanted to be close to each other.

Peter

Tandemtourer, sorry I seemed so vague, we're just trying to work out a slight glitch with our traveling companions that this upgrade has caused.

We booked in January, and didn't pay in full until due (75 days out?). In fact we'd originally booked a C1, but wanted to make sure we were in P category once our friends booked in a P2. So our committment to the guarantee wasn't until last month. Upgrade was from P3 to Q3. We are past passengers, but this is only our fourth Cunard sailing. The cruise is on sale, but not one of ones in the current sale brochure for QE2 sailings, but I think that's mostly because it's only a seven day cruise, and they aren't advertising it much in the USA.

I'd have to agree with previous posters about upgrades - they seem to be given out randomly, but I think mostly the upgrade has to do with sailings that are slow sellers or in the shoulder season.

Specific cabin is where you have a defined cabin number eg 8345, Guarantee is where you are not assigned a specific cabin until a couple of weeks before the sailing - but you will get that grade of cabin, or better - so for example on the QE2 if you book an 'M1 Guarantee' you could be assigned an M1 cabin, or you could get a Caronia grade cabin....Generally I have booked Guarantees in the past - sometimes you get what you book, sometimes something better. Reasons for not booking a Guarantee for example is if someone has mobility problems and wanted to be sure they were near the lifts, or were travelling in a party and wanted to be close to each other.

Peter

T%Thank you Peter, must ask my agent(Victoria Travel) about that. Cordaline

Archived