taking your own snorkel gear on a booked adventure?

j24752

Has anyone ever booked a snorkeling adventure through the cruise line, and then taken your own snorkeling gear on the tour boat? Do they allow you to do that or would they prefer you use their mask and snorkel?

Do we really need fins to snorkel?

It really depends upon where you snorkel, if you are in a bay or inlet where there is not much in the way of currents then probably not. However if you are out in open waters then they are a good idea. I have a set of full sized fins and think that I may try to find a smaller size.

I would definitely take your own gear. I always have and always will. You know where your snorkel and mask have been and you know that they will work well. You can spend thousands of dollars on trips and shore excursions but if your mask leaks or fogs it ruins the whole trip.

I have heard that some companies will actually send your new equipment right to your stateroom so you don't have to mess with packing it on the way to the boat. All you have to do is tell them what boat you'll be on and when you are departing and they'll have it sitting in your stateroom with a bow on it waiting for you.

Happy Sailing!

It really depends upon where you snorkel, if you are in a bay or inlet where there is not much in the way of currents

I am not sure of the current or waters, but it will be at cocoa cay? Anyone here been and know what the currents are. I know, I have so much reading up? Any good reads about this island? lol

Just got back from 2 weeks in eastern carribbean, we snorkeled every other day and did beach breaks on the other days. I carry travel size fins, a vest, mask and snorkel and used my equipment at beaches when no equipment was offered. At several stops the waves were very strong and I needed the fins to get back easily.

As an additional note, my bright green vest lets us keep track of each other in a group as most excursions use orange!

On our short upcoming 4 day cruise, we will be in the water while others are still waiting in line at the private island for checking the equipment in and out.

Archived