Odds of an Upgrade?

tipfamily

What's the chance that I will get an upgrade when booking a Balcony Guarantee? I've booked a reservation on the Valor in June 2006. Does it make a difference how early you book?? :confused: I really want to get the best cabin for the best price!! :)

I also saw where some people had to put two beds together. Is that the case for balcony cabins or do they have queen beds? Just wondering if we should just choose our cabin? :o

What's the chance that I will get an upgrade when booking a Balcony Guarantee? I've booked a reservation on the Valor in June 2006. Does it make a difference how early you book?? :confused: I really want to get the best cabin for the best price!! :)

I also saw where some people had to put two beds together. Is that the case for balcony cabins or do they have queen beds? Just wondering if we should just choose our cabin? :o

Tipfamily raises an interesting question, namely, how does Carnival determine who gets an upgrade. Do early bookings have a priority... how about bookings made directly with Carnival... or bookings made by their best producing TA's... or price paid? Anyone know?

here's your answer {or part there-of} as was explained to me by Carnival..no upgrade until your paid in full.Not thinking of making final payment until last minute?....then don't expect an upgrade....after that who knows.

Bob & france

We booked a balcony guarantee in mid-January for June 12 cruise on the Miracle. Just found out this week (58 days out) our cabin and we got an upgrade to 8I, extended balcony.

We did pay in full a couple of weeks before the deadline, but I have no idea if that has anything to do with the way they assign the cabins.

Good luck.

We booked a balcony guarantee in mid-January for June 12 cruise on the Miracle. Just found out this week (58 days out) our cabin and we got an upgrade to 8I, extended balcony.

We did pay in full a couple of weeks before the deadline, but I have no idea if that has anything to do with the way they assign the cabins.

Good luck.

I just booked my cruise 2 weeks ago and we leave next week. I also booked a Balcony guarentee. I was told that I would get a room no lower than the Upper deck and that my room would not be assigned until the day before we set sail. Who knows what the truth is on this topic. I'll report back when I return on the 30th of April.

I looked up the S&S encryption on my documents and called Carnival. The gentleman that I spoke with did not want to confirm this was my cabin. However I began asking questions about this particular room (9207). Looking at the deck plan it seems to be partially obstructed to the left as it is the second cabin from the front of the ship on the starboard side. It looked like the bridge was obstructing. When I asked he took the time to ask someone else about it. (If it wasn't my room, why would he waste his time.) The good news is it is a public deckway and is not obstructed. I just cant plan on moonlighting on my balcony as anyone can see into my balcony if they are on the deck on the front of the ship.

BTW, my guarenteed category 8A turned into a category 8D. Not bad if you ask me, plus I am located in a part of the ship that will have very little traffic.

There really isnt a rule of thumb for upgrades. I have read these baords and "thought" the earlier I book the better the upgrade. I "thought" if i paid it off earlier the better the upgrade. Booked a cruise 14 months out and paid in full. I got a very cheap price compared to people booking after me.

Seems to me--by personal experience only...the more you pay for your cabin the better your chances of being upgraded.

I got what I paid for-- an oceanview-- Many people who booked after me got upgraded. I'd rather take the cheaper price and book a set cabin now.

I have typically received some sort of upgrade on Carnival sailings. Two years ago on the Pride, I had booked 5 cabins. I had a balcony for myself and as low as a 1A for my sons.

There was a fare decrease and when the agent called in my behalf - evryone was put into balcony cabins on the same deck! For the boys -that was a big score!!

I have a gty on the Liberty for next February - we'll see what happens???

Thanks for all the replies. I emailed my PVP (don't know if she'll respond by email or not...we'll see). Anyway, I told her I wanted to go ahead and choose a cabin vs. going the balcony gty route.

There was a fare decrease and when the agent called in my behalf - evryone was put into balcony cabins on the same deck! For the boys -that was a big score!!

mringenoldus, Are fare decreases common and if so when do they usually occur ? Since I booked over a year in advance, should I be watching for decreases? Would I still be able to get a fare decrease if I have not yet payed in full? Just curious?

Fare drops are common and can occur anytime - but I particularly watch just prior to final payment.

I'm obsessive and watch mine all the time. then I contact my TA if I see anything that seems like a decrease. Prior to final payment they will typically adjust the fare. After final patyment, you may request an upgrade or onboard credit.

No matter how good your TA is - you care about your cruise more than anyone so you are best able to catch price adjustments.

We booked our cruise on the Destiny back in Feb and will be sailing 05/22/05 our of San Juan. I called our TA to find out about possible upgrades. We had booked a Balcony Gty and when our TA called to check to see if we had an upgrade she received our Cabin Assignment of an 8C on the Veranda deck. I am so excited, I am thinking we got a good upgrade. Is this a normal upgrade, we did pay in full when we booked.

Hi

Just thought I would let you know that I booked my cruise over a year ago for June 05, 2005 and booked a 8A balcony guartnee and just found out today by using the gift method that I am now on the Panorama Deck #1027. This is my first cruise and I am so excited. I hope this is a good location. It looks good to me by looking at the deck plans. Anyone know about this room.:)

We had to cancel our family cruise on the Pride for June.:( My husband and I may sail the Pride in February for our 25th anniversary. We thought we would try the guarantee route this time. Just what is the "gift method" that Karen mentioned?:confused: :confused:

Tahoe,

The gift method is when you sign into your reservation on the ccl website. Take note of your booking number. Then click on 'fun pass' at the bottom of the page. You will have to enter your booking number and a few other details on this page. Then when that page comes up, click on order gifts and services. pick something from that page and add it to your basket. At the bottom of the page, it will either have your room assignment, or it will say Guar.

Archived