pier 66 vs embassy suites ft. lauderdale pre cruise

obsessedsc

pre cruise we are trying to decide between Pier 66 and Embassy Suites?! any help?

this is a family cruise and as a child we stayed at pier 66 pre cruise (i was about 10 years old) and i thought that would be a fun memory to relive but it costs more than embassy (not much)

any one have a better suggestion that would be under 200/ night but still nice and good location?

Both hotels are good and are near the port. So, if you don't mind paying a little extra for the memories then go for it.

Are you staying for a couple of nights or just one night? If it's just one night, I am not sure paying more would be worth it.

You can also check out the Renaissance Ft. Lauderdale. Same general area...not sure when you're traveling, so not sure what the rates would be.

We stayed at the Embassey Suites before two cruises last year and liked it a lot. Free breakfast, very convienent to shopping (full shopping center right behind), Manager's Reception and night with free drinks, and lots of restaurants nearby (we liked Chuck's Steaks across the street). Also, great view of the ships from a high floor on the back of the hotel!

Sadly you won't relive the same memories at Pier 66 as you did when you were a child. The hotel was purchased by a venture capital company and sweeping changes were made. You can no longer go to the top of the hotel and view the city and ocean at sunset. It was a beautiful lounge that served cocktails and nice hors d'oeuvres and snacks. Also had a band in the evening with dancing. GONE. Now they have it set up for banquets and parties only. They renovated the rooms which was a plus though. The pool landscaping was changed. The entire grounds were bulldozed. I happened to be staying there when it happened. It was a nightmare. The pool was not changed, just the landscaping which had been gorgeous and did not need to be bulldozed.

SO I would recommend the Embassy Suites for a family. They have a nice pool and serve complimentary breakfast. I believe there is some kind of transportation to the port package.

What we now do if we cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale is stay at the Rennaisance in Boca Raton. They have a gorgeous pool and beautiful courtyard. Close to Two Jays Deli and the Cheesecake Factory. We drive in on the day of the cruise and park at the Park N Cruise lot. Very convenient.

Having stayed at both places, I vote for the ES. The biggest problem with Pier 66 is that there is nothing around it without getting transport or a long walk. ES is right in the heart of a lot of other restaurants with the wine place and drug store a short walk away.

Archived