Renovations-Outrigger Waikiki Beach

jdblakeslee

We were thinking of booking a room for the day of disembarkment to spend at the beach and when I went on the Outrigger's website to check out rates, there is a message that the hotel will be undergoing renovations from March 1 - June 30, 2012...looks quite extensive, pool by the beach will be closed during this time frame. We also have dinner reservations at the Hula Grill pre-cruise, so I may be cancelling them for another place.

We're moving on to Plan B, but I wanted to give cruisers who may be thinking of doing the same as us a "head-up"!

Jennifer

Aloha!, My hubby and I are staying at the Outrigger on the beach 2 days before our cruise. We gave a lot thought to the possible negative side affects of the renovations (noise, dirt, things not working properly) but given the discounted rates which includes breakfast each morning, we decided to go for it and hopefully all we be well. My hubby only really cares about being on the beach. The hotel does seem to be sold out during the time that we will be there, but I am sure that the number of rooms availabe are limited because of the renovations. I was quite surprised when I found about the "resort fees" that are typical for the Waikiki area. I didn't know anything about these fees when I started researching Waikiki hotels. Apparently, these mandatory fees are not always included in the room rate or disclosed at time of booking, but magically appear on the bill when you check out. That would have been an unpleasant surprise!!:eek:

Even during renovations, I would stay at the Outrigger Waikiki in a heartbeat. You cannot beat the location and the beach will still be the same. The pool was never anything great....so I would not miss that at all. I would go for the good deal and enjoy.

We own a condo in an Outrigger-managed property on the Big Island. Over the years, there have been several necessary major renovation projects and Outrigger has been very good about doing everything they can to minimize the impact on guests. They're very strict about the hours that work can be done and giving advance notice of any service disruption (such as water or power shutoff, etc.) They usually do their work in "blocks" and may not even use rooms that are in close proximity to where the work is being done. If in doubt, call the hotel local number and ask to talk to the manager on duty - ask specific questions about what is being done and how it will impact guests.

Archived