photos of tortola

louthebowler

thanks mdsue - i love to see 'real photos' as opposed to 'official' . it looks a really nice place, will be seeing for myself in a few weeks.

You will love it- lush, green, mountainous, and drop-dead beautiful beaches. I'll be back again this spring, too.

we havent made any plans yet for tortola. st lucia sorted and barbados probably sorted ( thanks to all the info on here) and thinking of going to see brimstone fort on st kitts but tortola has me undecided. hubby had hip replacement end of december so still not sure what he will and will not be able to do. on land holidays our favourite thng to do was always to get up early and walk along the beach for a couple of hours but think trying to walk in sand could be hard work after this operation. if anyone has any thoughts and what to do, i would love to hear.

If a beach is what you decide on (whether to walk or relax) the majority of folks will be going to Cane Garden Bay. Several beach bars there but it gets very crowded and we avoid that. Fun for happy hours but not during the day when ships are in. We stayed on our balcony while staying there when several taxi loads came into CGB.

Smuggler's Cove is the nicest and least crowded beach and Patricia has excellent grilled food and beers. But the only rest rooms are portapotties (and the ocean :D).

Long Bay Resort offers day passes and has a beautiful, long beach that you see on post cards. Great beach to walk or sit and watch the pelicans dive and there are some facilities there as well as a small pool bar at the resort you can wade in.

Roundtrip taxi fare for 2 people is $32pp for Smuggler's and $28pp for Long Bay.

Brewer's Bay is another option ($24pp roundtrip taxi).

There are also island tours available either by taxi ($55/hr and includes a stop) or scatosbusntaxitour.com is another option.

You can also taxi to West End and ferry to Jost Van Dyke and enjoy the beach bars in White Bay (Soggy $ Bar, Ivan's Stress Free Bar, Seddy's One Love, and Foxy's over the hill in Great Harbor). Roundtrip taxi to WE = $28pp, roundtrip ferry = $25pp.

www.bvi360.com is an operator that goes to Jost.

Jost ferry schedule

http://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_jost.htm

You can also rent a Jeep and tour the island if you don't mind steeper hills and switchbacks, $50/day includes everything, but I would recommend a taxi your first visit. The views from the hills are absolutely amazing.

There are also some nice small shops near the dock, and Pussers Pub is a fun spot for a bite and has some nice "nautical" cloting in the rear.

Anything sound interesting?

blue water , your many posts about smugglers and patricias has us thinking we might give there a try, toilets no problem, if you've been to the greek islands and used some of theirs, then portapotties a step up. could always wear a nappy! ( or is that diaper to you!!)

you obviously have a soft spot for that location which comes across well in your posts.is tortola one of your favourite places?

i'm not sure if i could narrow mine down, ive liked so many- but i suppose the most memorable i would put at chichenitza (mexico), grand canyon , and the sting rays on grand cayman.plus walking on so many beaches too numerous to mention. from the cool (thats cold- not laid back!!) beaches of england and wales to the warm med and the extra warm caribbean:D

blue water , your many posts about smugglers and patricias has us thinking we might give there a try, toilets no problem, if you've been to the greek islands and used some of theirs, then portapotties a step up. could always wear a nappy! ( or is that diaper to you!!)

you obviously have a soft spot for that location which comes across well in your posts.is tortola one of your favourite places?

i'm not sure if i could narrow mine down, ive liked so many- but i suppose the most memorable i would put at chichenitza (mexico), grand canyon , and the sting rays on grand cayman.plus walking on so many beaches too numerous to mention. from the cool (thats cold- not laid back!!) beaches of england and wales to the warm med and the extra warm caribbean:D

Yes, when we stay on Tortola Smuggler's and Long Bay (Tortola) are our favorite beaches to hang out at because they're not swamped like CGB. We like CGB for happy hours and dinners but we also like staying further south and enjoying Sebastian's, Bananakeet and Jolly Roger. Smuggler's and LB are not our favorite beaches anywhere, but they are definitely right up there. Some of our fav's include Grace Bay, Doctors Cave, the gold coast of Barbados, SMB on GC, Riviera Maya, Bahamas out islands - so many as you said...

But Long Bay is what you see on post cards and calendars, and Smuggler's is just comfortable. And of course you have White Bay on Jost and Sandy Spit nearby for a day trip on Kuralu or Patouche or another day sail outfit.

I see Patricia got a new banner! She is a helluva grill cook (that's not her in the picture). Smuggler's had a crowd that day! Last 2 days we were there there were 2 or 3 couples from a Carnival ship and a couple of local families with young kids that we really enjoyed watching. Nigel next door is a great guy and rents snorkel gear.

Enjoy your time on one of our favorite islands!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived