Damage on the QE2

robertkarenuk

Thanks for posting this, Robert. I'm trying to work out which 1969 tapestry of the Royal family this would be. I know there is the interesting 3 panel Hernmarck one depicting the launch - in which the Queen & Prince Phillip are shown at the launch - but I don't recall any others. Any ideas, anyone?

Peter

cant wait to find out further details...I have friends who disembarked this cruise in Southampton so will be interested to see if they were aware of this vandalism. The tapestries that hung in "d" stairwell on quarterdeck are the closest i can think of that could be the ones involved. Sure hope someone fishes them out of the tide...they must be worth quite a bit!

I think it has to one of those three. I know the one depicting Princess Margaret was badly faded due to faulty laundering in the past, but that one looks like the pictured one in the report. Looks like some very bad staffing problems?

David.

The BBC link has now been updated with a picture of the damaged tapestry - so looks like the lost one is part of the set. If it went overboard in the Atlantic I guess gone forever....although the BBC gets it wrong when it says she was on her way back from the Caribbean - she was on her way home from the World Cruise - any World Cruisers out there spot anything?

Peter

No, the BBC stated that the QM2 was back from a 6 month stay in the Carribean and the QE2 had just finished its World Cruise

The BBC article is muddled, it states:

"The damage followed a staff party held on the crew deck of the ship as it made its way back from the Caribbean. "

The QE2's last port of call before Southampton was Malaga, which last time I looked was in Spain:)

Peter

Guys, as pointed out by GG, have a look at the picture of the tapestry on the BBC website. The damaged panel that they show is the one on the left of the three, but look to the right : the pole is there along with a bit of fabric at the top, but no tapestry attached.

I also assume that the middle of the three panels is the missing one.

This is a real shame, it is amajor part of QE2 history.

As for the Carribean/world thing, the BBC (like all journalists - sorry guys) gets it wrong now and again. They shouldn't but they do. Last week they said QM2 was the fastest and most famous passenger ship in the world.

Having read some more articles online this evening from the Guardian, Telegraph, etc I note that a 'portrait of the Queen' was also damaged. Does this not refer to the portrait of the Queen & Prince Phillip that as far as I know came from RMS Queen Mary? If this is true it is a great shame & such mindless act of vandalism!!! I am just glad the crewmembers have been sacked!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

Having read some more articles online this evening from the Guardian, Telegraph, etc I note that a 'portrait of the Queen' was also damaged. Does this not refer to the portrait of the Queen & Prince Phillip that as far as I know came from RMS Queen Mary?

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I believe that the portrait of the Queen and Prince originally came from the R.M.S. CARONIA. Never the less it's still a senseless act of destruction, and those scoundrels that did it should be held accountable for their deeds.

Have no doubt, the full force of British law will decend on them. They may even be given 20 hours of community service instead of the usual gentle pat on the head and lecture about being good boys in the future.

David.

Having read some more articles online this evening from the Guardian, Telegraph, etc I note that a 'portrait of the Queen' was also damaged. Does this not refer to the portrait of the Queen & Prince Phillip that as far as I know came from RMS Queen Mary?

Given the other minor misstatements in the piece maybe they were referring to the image of the Queen which sits atop the pedestal in the Queens Room. (Think I might be censored if I call it a b**t.) That would be more easily accesible for defacement than the portrait of the Queen and Prince in the stairwell. There was damage done in the Queens Room so the opportunity was there.

I agree with the sentiment of this thread. I am aghast and very dissappointed that this happened. I guess maybe trying to hire older people for Cunard might be better than hiring "children".

Besides flogging and jail time, I hope the judge in Southampton has the ability to garnish wages for the rest of their lives to repay at least alittle of the damage that they have caused. Maybe if that happens, some people might think twice about their actions. Community service might be nice short-term, but having to pay for the rest of their working lives would send a stronger message and remind them of their dasterly deed for a long time.

I hope everyone in Britain will keep us up to date on this case.

Ed

From another board:

I am on the QE2 in Madeira today and have details.

The persons concerned were a group of 4 sharing a cabin. One got fired and the other three resigned. They then allegedly conspired to get "revenge" on Cunard by causing damage,by urinating in crew spaces, throwing overboard the 1/3 of the tapestry with the Queen's face on it. Damaging two others. They threw deck chairs over the side and released a distress bouy which altered the coast guard (twice)with a resultant $70,000 fine for a false alarm. They were then locked up in separate passenger cabins for the duration of the voyage. They were turned in by other disgusted crew members. The forward crew lavatories were also vandalised.

I heard that "tins of blue paint was thrown about on the entertainment deck"

Does anyone know if this is true? If so, I assume they mean the Queen's Room?

Also, any word yet on the "portrait" of Queen Elizabeth II that was damaged?

Michael

cant wait to find out further details...I have friends who disembarked this cruise in Southampton so will be interested to see if they were aware of this vandalism. The tapestries that hung in "d" stairwell on quarterdeck are the closest i can think of that could be the ones involved. Sure hope someone fishes them out of the tide...they must be worth quite a bit!

If you go to bbc.uk and search "QE2" you will find the report from a couple of days ago. They have a picture of a tapestry said to be like the one that was pitched overboard. A picture of the Queen was also vandalised. Shameful.

Archived