iPhone Apps for Cruisers

skydog802

Does shipmate work on board without using internet? I was hoping my child could use the deck maps to get around. (me too)

I think paper maps are available on board.

But yes, the content is already downloaded. Be sure to turn off all cellular signals to avoid any 'pushed' content and the charges that may accompany it. Many apps push for new content and you would be charged accordingly if a cell signal is available.

I could use this during the cruise on my ipod touch for the deck plans and budget tracker. But I doubt that I will because my phone and ipod go immediately into the safe. I paid 1.99 for it and my mom got it for free.

That's what I was looking for. Check on deck plans, port info, etc without using the data plan on the phone.

Shipmate may take you on a fantasy cruise which is kind of fun -- one example, when we were going to Sydney, Novia Scotia on a TA it was convinced we were going to Sydney, Australia. Gave us all the info for Australia and non for the port we were going to.

There are several errors in Shipmate info but there are lots of things that are correct as well so if you have a need for the info give it a try.

Yes. I leave my phone in the safe during the cruise!!

Since, I use my phone for almost everything, including photos, videos, fitness, nutrition, notes, etc, it goes everywhere with me. I don't plan to leave it in the safe unless I'm going to be in the pool or such.

Since, I use my phone for almost everything, including photos, videos, fitness, nutrition, notes, etc, it goes everywhere with me. I don't plan to leave it in the safe unless I'm going to be in the pool or such.

To each their own. I prefer to disconnect from my electronics during vacation. I might read on my iPad, but not much. Too much else to see and do!!

To each their own. I prefer to disconnect from my electronics during vacation. I might read on my iPad, but not much. Too much else to see and do!!

I agree with ya. And I do disconnect from technology while on vacation, but like anything else, I use it as a tool. I won't have connection to the Internet, email and other online apps, but as a photographer, I tend to use my iPhone a lot as a camera / video capture tool. It's not any different than carrying a small compact camera or a DSLR (which I own at least 4 professional models), except that my camera is called an iPhone.

I agree with ya. And I do disconnect from technology while on vacation, but like anything else, I use it as a tool. I won't have connection to the Internet, email and other online apps, but as a photographer, I tend to use my iPhone a lot as a camera / video capture tool. It's not any different than carrying a small compact camera or a DSLR (which I own at least 4 professional models), except that my camera is called an iPhone.

I have a D80. Obviously I take that. I can't imagine only having iPhone quality photos to document my travels. I love having good quality photos to print and share.

I guess I don't consider a camera an electronic in this case. I leave all others aside - I NEED my camera though.

ETA: what do you shoot with? I'm sure your answer will make me green with envy!!

The one ap I never travel without is JWIRE -- the downloadable database tells me where free Wifi is all over the world. Update the database before I leave and am good to go.

Looking at my email is something I choose to do and thank everyone in advance for refraining from bashing me if I don't do things the way you like to. Respect gets respect!

I have a D80. Obviously I take that. I can't imagine only having iPhone quality photos to document my travels. I love having good quality photos to print and share.

I guess I don't consider a camera an electronic in this case. I leave all others aside - I NEED my camera though.

ETA: what do you shoot with? I'm sure your answer will make me green with envy!!

I shoot Nikon. I mainly use my Nikon D700. I also have the D300, D200, D70s.

The one ap I never travel without is JWIRE -- the downloadable database tells me where free Wifi is all over the world. Update the database before I leave and am good to go.

Looking at my email is something I choose to do and thank everyone in advance for refraining from bashing me if I don't do things the way you like to. Respect gets respect!

I'll have to check out JWIRE. Thanks for the pointer.

No worries on the email thing. I'm always checking mine along with other stuff.

Just downloaded ShipMate . . . I do use TripDeck to manage my itineraries (for work & personal travel) and GateGuru as well. Keep the suggestions coming!

You know, TripDeck looks pretty good despite the reviews. I just installed and played with it a few minutes and it does have some good functionality. Thanks for pointing out this app.

I have a new kindel Fire I want to take on our cruise in March.

Has anyone had any problems using one on board?

I know i can read a down loaded book with the wifi turned off,

any thing else i should worry about?

Thanks for any info.

Tropicqueen

You shouldn't have a problem using it on-board. Just make sure you load it with all the books you need before you leave your house. Connecting on the ship's wifi is super expensive.

I think paper maps are available on board.

But yes, the content is already downloaded. Be sure to turn off all cellular signals to avoid any 'pushed' content and the charges that may accompany it. Many apps push for new content and you would be charged accordingly if a cell signal is available.

Thanks. I had already downloaded it last cruise but forgot to use it.

I use Travel Wallet to track my expenses, and Deck Director for on board ship maps and info.

With Travel Wallet, I love that I can customize all the fields and print out the expense report after the cruise.

Deck Director is great, but you do need to connect on Wifi for real time, mapping, that will give you GPS style turn by turn directions to anywhere you want to go on the ship. You can use it to look up maps and where a venue is on the ship without connecting to Wifi.

Zippy

• 2 weeks later...

For a journal you might want to try Daily Tracker. There is a section called Quick Notes where you can add pictures and google maps to your daily journal of activities.

I have to tell you though, I have about 4 trip journals that started with every little thing and then petered out about the 3 day. :D Take lots of pictures and jot a few notes to refresh your memory but you will probably be doing the journal once you get home.

I use Travel Wallet to track my expenses, and Deck Director for on board ship maps and info.

With Travel Wallet, I love that I can customize all the fields and print out the expense report after the cruise.

Deck Director is great, but you do need to connect on Wifi for real time, mapping, that will give you GPS style turn by turn directions to anywhere you want to go on the ship. You can use it to look up maps and where a venue is on the ship without connecting to Wifi.

Zippy

Thanks for pointing out the 2 apps.

For a journal you might want to try Daily Tracker. There is a section called Quick Notes where you can add pictures and google maps to your daily journal of activities.

I have to tell you though, I have about 4 trip journals that started with every little thing and then petered out about the 3 day. :D Take lots of pictures and jot a few notes to refresh your memory but you will probably be doing the journal once you get home.

Thanks for the recommendation of Daily Tracker. I'll give it a try.

Archived