American Airlines and travel insurance

fishdoc

We are on the Eclipse TA on April 21, 2012 from Miami to London. Back in September I booked a flight from our closest airport (Greensboro NC) on American Airlines to Miami. The flight is scheduled to leave at 6:05 AM on the 21st and arrive in Miami at 8:15 AM-plenty of time (6 hours) to go from the airport to the cruise terminal by 3:00PM. Problem is I booked the flight for the day of departure and if for any reason American Airlines because of bankruptcy decides to cancel or eliminate the flight we will not be able to make the cruise. I contacted American Airlines today and tried to move the flight from April 21 to April 20th –a day earlier which would give me some time to make alternative flight reservations if American Airlines decides to drop/cancel the flight. American Airlines response was they will let me rebook for the 20th only if I buy new tickets with no credit given for the flight on the 21st. If we miss the cruise April 21st. because delayed or canceled flights by American Airlines, travel insurance companies will not reimburse because the “common carrier” -American Airlines is in bankruptcy unless your travel insurance was enforce before American declared bankruptcy. So if you have flight reservations with American Airlines keep your fingers crossed and have an alternative plan!

We are on the Eclipse TA on April 21, 2012 from Miami to London. Back in September I booked a flight from our closest airport (Greensboro NC) on American Airlines to Miami. The flight is scheduled to leave at 6:05 AM on the 21st and arrive in Miami at 8:15 AM-plenty of time (6 hours) to go from the airport to the cruise terminal by 3:00PM. Problem is I booked the flight for the day of departure and if for any reason American Airlines because of bankruptcy decides to cancel or eliminate the flight we will not be able to make the cruise. I contacted American Airlines today and tried to move the flight from April 21 to April 20th –a day earlier which would give me some time to make alternative flight reservations if American Airlines decides to drop/cancel the flight. American Airlines response was they will let me rebook for the 20th only if I buy new tickets with no credit given for the flight on the 21st. If we miss the cruise April 21st. because delayed or canceled flights by American Airlines, travel insurance companies will not reimburse because the “common carrier” -American Airlines is in bankruptcy unless your travel insurance was enforce before American declared bankruptcy. So if you have flight reservations with American Airlines keep your fingers crossed and have an alternative plan!

While non of us can guarantee anything, I thought I would let you know just because an american carrier has declared bankruptsy it does not mean your flight is at risk of being cancelled. We have been in the same situation with TWA for years, which was bought by American. Generally carriers are bought out by another carrier and it takes years.

I would guess even if your flight was cancelled American would do there best to get you scheduled on another flight or carrier.

We flew American last October to Rome. Before we left I realized that the flight we were on was late both direction,almost daily. I was not concern about our flight to Rome becuase we went a day early. Did feel concerned about flight back, making a connection in NY on to San Francisco. When we arrived in NY, late, American had arranged for us to be on another flight. Someone met us and others to give us new tickets before we went thru Customs in NY.

News stories of bankruptcy are scary for sure. It is always good to book so you go at a minimum a day ahead. Live and learn, hope your trip works out well with no problems.

I do no think your flight is at any greater risk to be cancelled last minute than any other major carrier. If they cancel it in advance, you have options. Just monitor for any changes periodically.

Our AA flight from SFO to Rome in November 2011 (before the bankruptcy) was changed four (or was it five?) times. Each time they rebooked us, and if the new schedule/itinerary wasn't suitable, I phoned them and they worked with me to make it better. I don't think you're at any greater risk due to the bankruptcy, but they may change your flight for other reasons (season, weather, passenger load, etc.), so check your reservation every day and if you don't like the change, phone them ASAP. It helps if you are an AAAdvantage member.

Archived