Should I upgrade from balcony to extended balcony?

klondike11

I'm sailing on the Spirit in May to Alaska in a mid-ship 8D balcony on the Empress deck. I noticed today that the extended balconies are only $20 per person more. I've searched the board but can't find much on mid-ship locations. My DH insists on being mid-ship. Currently we hold 6186 which is a very good location. Is it worth all the hipe to switch to the next deck up to get the extra 20 feet? He will not even consider going aft-has a big fear of getting sick from the motion of the ocean! Thanks to all!

I think your idea of the extended balcony is incorrect...it is not an extra 20 feet...it is just 2 feet deeper (no longer). Gives a little more leg room. If you are able to snag one of the few exceptional extended balconies (which I always try to do), that would be a different story. The cabins are 6232, 7258 & 8232, and their balconies are 3 times the length of the other balconies! But those are usually booked well in advance.

If you are happy with your location as it is, then just stay where you are;)

I think your idea of the extended balcony is incorrect...it is not an extra 20 feet...it is just 2 feet deeper (no longer). Gives a little more leg room. If you are able to snag one of the few exceptional extended balconies (which I always try to do), that would be a different story. The cabins are 6232, 7258 & 8232, and their balconies are 3 times the length of the other balconies! But those are usually booked well in advance.

Funny becuase I prefer the deeper then then the longer. I found I could get sun on the deeper balcony in the afternoon but we found the longer balcony was just wasted space. Just MO -- and everyone is different!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there!

Just noticed I have the same cabin immediately following your cruise! :D Also considered bumping-up, but agree that 6186 is in a great location, and should be great. Have a great cruise!

We upgraded from an obstructed balcony to an extended balcony ($100 total) mainly to do away with the obstruction, get the wider balcony (not interested in the longer ones) and to be closer to the Lido deck. If you are concerned about the new location, just keep what you have. Have a great cruise!

We upgraded from an obstructed balcony to an extended balcony ($100 total) mainly to do away with the obstruction, get the wider balcony (not interested in the longer ones) and to be closer to the Lido deck. If you are concerned about the new location, just keep what you have. Have a great cruise!

That's us, too. It's worth it to upgrade from an obstructed view, especially to be on a better deck.

However, if you already have a good balcony, it may not be worth the extra 2 feet.

We got an extended balcony, aft, on the Glory. The balcony was nice with a lounge chair which I napped in every day, but it did take a couple of feet off the room size. We had a single chair where the small settee usually is. Also, the balcony side walls are at an angle, so the people in the room next to us kept leaning over to look at us (lol). If I could do the wrap around with the suite, I would do that, but I won't do the aft extended balcony anymore.

But we always go for cabins in the aft section. I'm susceptible to motion and I have never felt any excess movement.

We got an extended balcony, aft, on the Glory. The balcony was nice with a lounge chair which I napped in every day, but it did take a couple of feet off the room size. We had a single chair where the small settee usually is. Also, the balcony side walls are at an angle, so the people in the room next to us kept leaning over to look at us (lol). If I could do the wrap around with the suite, I would do that, but I won't do the aft extended balcony anymore.

But we always go for cabins in the aft section. I'm susceptible to motion and I have never felt any excess movement.

Great for the Glory, not for Alaska though. Alaska is for the beauty of it, Beauty not to be missed. I'd never have an aft for Alaska to see "where I've been" .

It 20 sq feet bigger. To me 60 sq feet is better than 40 sg feet any day for that price.

Archived