Cabot Trail and Cape Breton Highlands

We are going to be in Sydney the first week of June off of the Carnival Glory. They have two excursions called Cabot Trail and Cape Breton Highland and Brad D'or Lakes Grand Tour. Which one would be the best one to take? The first one is 7 hours long the second is 6 hours long. Both are $99.00 pp. Would love to see the Cabot Trail but a little concerned being on the bus so much, however, if there is alot of scenery may be worth it. We realize it is probably only a third of the Cabot Trail but don't think we will ever be back up that way in a car. Thanks for info.:)

I would suggest you arrange to rent a car or hire a car and driver. You can decide where to go according to the weather. You would not be seeing the best part of the Cabot Trail, but it is still spectacular on a clear day. You will be able to get to the pretty part past Ingonish Beach if you do this, while I think the ship's tours stop in Ingonish Beach for lunch and shopping and then go back to Sydney. However, June is early in the year and it could be foggy.

There should be less chance of fog on the Bras D'Or Lakes. They are beautiful, but more serene than the Cabot Trail sections on the ocean. The Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck is excellent. If it is open, drive down to Iona to the Highland Village and then go back to Sydney via Christmas Island for different scenery.

Another source to check is toms port guides. He has yet to visit Louisbourg himself so he cannot give it the rave reviews it deserves.

Thank you for the info - I will check everything out. And Smitty3000 - I will see you on the ship.

Hi Canuck Eh, i meant to post this as a question and I put it on your post instead. Sorry about that. I came back to find out if I had any response and couldnt find it. Here it is. Oops ;) I guess they are kind of the same question. I am trying to decide between those two excursions.

At first I was sold on the Cabot Trail but the other one looks good too. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone on the roll call. We are going to have so much fun.:) Also, thanks everyone else too for the info.

Hi Canuck Eh, i meant to post this as a question and I put it on your post instead. Sorry about that. I came back to find out if I had any response and couldnt find it. Here it is. Oops ;) I guess they are kind of the same question. I am trying to decide between those two excursions.

At first I was sold on the Cabot Trail but the other one looks good too. Looking forward to meeting you and everyone on the roll call. We are going to have so much fun.:) Also, thanks everyone else too for the info.

Hey Smitty - I agree. I think the Bras D'Or Lake sounds like it might be a better choice. Oh Ya, fun fun fun!

• 1 year later...

We have such a short time on the island. We're interested in the little Highland Village which has received lots of good reviews. Would there be enough time to see the D'or Lake and Highlands? Which tour company have you had good info?

Archived