Parking in Manhattan

theverro

Hello! Looking at the Miracle out of NYC or the Pride out of Baltimore in October. The parking at Manhattan port is $30 a day which I know is actually decent, however.. anyone know of any cheaper options? Any slightly out of the way hotels offer park and cruise?

Thanks!

I'd recommend finding something in New Jersey, in the areas around Hoboken, Jersey City, Bayonne (would not recommend Newark though)...

You can take a ferry/cab/train from any of these areas to the city - they're only about 15-20 minutes away, right across the Hudson River, if you are unfamiliar with the area.

I'm not sure what the prices are going to be for Hotels and such. The W in Hoboken is pretty expensive though, so Jersey City might be a more viable option.

Public Transportation to the city is not bad costwise - $1.75 each way on the Path, and 3-4 each way on the bus. Ferry is around 9 each way. I couldn't tell you the price of a cab to the city.

Good luck, and happy cruising! I was just on the Miracle for the New Years Cruise, and it was a blast!! =D

When we sailed out of Manhatten we found a cheap flight from Rochester to JFK that worked out to about the same price as gas and parking at the pier. Neither of us really wanted to drive in Manhatten, and it's good we didn't because a marathon was on the day we got back and many streets were closed.

Sailing out of Baltimore is very easy. Parking is $15/day and the port is very easy to get to.

Hello! Looking at the Miracle out of NYC or the Pride out of Baltimore in October. The parking at Manhattan port is $30 a day which I know is actually decent, however.. anyone know of any cheaper options? Any slightly out of the way hotels offer park and cruise?

Thanks!

Try googling "icon parking" and look at their coupons. Right now there are several lots offering $25/day and one offering $20/day. A couple of years ago we got parking for $16/day while we were on the Miracle. We called to confirm that they would actually honor the rate for all 8 days and they were happy to do so. YMMV

Gone out of NY 3 times and going again in May. Also out of Balto (as we live outside the city) 5 times.

We just drive up and pay it. I try not to think about it though. My husband likes having our vehicle there. Parking is very easy and we are in and out in NO time at all. We drive up to Hoboken where we found a little dinner our first time up. We get there about 9:30. We eat a nice breakfast, head to the terminal and only end up waiting about 1/2 - 45 mins to board.

No way I would ever park my car long term in the city. You would be better off out on Staten Island some where, or in NJ. Park in the city and your car may be missing parts or just missing.

Obviously someone is stereotyping NY here. While expensive, parking in a garage in NYC is nothing like a 1980's movie where your car is stripped the minute you walk out the door. Especially in Chelsea! Most garages actually have 24 hour surveillance for your car's protection.

I don't worry about parking there, I worry about driving through Manhattan to get to the pier...No way!

There is a hotel in Elizabeth, NJ...country inn and suites or something like that...we did this last year. We got a park, sleep and cruise package. Up to 14 days parking at the hotel included. Room was $115 plus tax and you pay to get into the city.

The problem is, staying in NJ, unless you take the ferry, and then you are on their schedule, you are going to pay a decent amount to get into the city...I mean, considering travel time, traffic and mileage it will be atleast $50-$60 to get there via cab...usually more. Geographically Newark and Elizabeth and those areas are only 13-15 miles away, but more like 30-40 minutes to actually get there.

If you look at all of your options, parking in the city is probably your cheapest option. The parking at the pier is RIGHT at the pier, if you park on the rooftop level and are on the starboard side of the ship you can see your car...Miracle uses Pier 88 (usually).

Baltimore is easier to drive to and cheaper, and they are the same class of ship, but the itineraries on the Miracle are better, and NYC is closer for you.

Archived