A cheap cruise, was it worth it?

Invincible

My take on MSC and Costa, before having tried them, is that the criticism comes largely from Americans who want a senior daycare program they are accustomed to and are upset they see a totally different setup. That's due to their lack of due diligence. We have never had a bad cruise and don't intend to have one on Costa or MSC, either.

It looks to me that you endure rather than enjoy these cruises. There's nothing wrong with feeling spoiled on a cruise. That's how they are marketed by the lines. The bottom line for me is price but I draw the line at having to tough it out. I'd sign up for the Peace Corp. if I wanted that sort of holiday.

Well, if I have to tough it out, at least I will be doing it in a superior aft balcony cabin.

Will I starve? Certainly not.

I promise to write about my suffering when I return in May, 2013. If I survive.

Haha - love it!

Love how some are saying that there is so much suffering on these major cruise lines now. One wonders what could be good enough if that were the case!

Well, if I have to tough it out, at least I will be doing it in a superior aft balcony cabin.

Will I starve? Certainly not.

I promise to write about my suffering when I return in May, 2013. If I survive.

You already told us your background in Africa and the former Soviet Union has you prepared. Just don't bother to queue up for toilet paper. They will have that waiting for you in your superior aft for your superior aft.:D

Absolutely a cheap cruise is worth it if you know and understand why you are taking it. For example, the Musica Med cruise I'm taking in April was selected because it matched time, itinerary, and price. I never even thought about what the line was (except to see if it was the capsized one). Only after I booked and paid did I go check it out. For what I paid, it is the equivalent to what I would pay for a hotel room and two meals on land per day. Looky that- I have a place to sleep and breakfast and dinner. On land, I would still pay for lunch, drinks, a bottle of water, souveniers, admission fees, transportation to get from one place to the other within a town, so none of that changes. Where it does change is this- I don't have to pay to get from city to city with a rail ticket, nor do I have to spend precious daylight hours to go from place to place nor do I have to spend bumpy nights trying to sleep upright on a train or bus. I wake up each morning and am in a new place. As a solo woman traveler, I get uncomfortable at night in a foreign city as dining is often late at night and extended amounts of time. Forget any kind of nightlife. Trying to find something age appropriate where you don't know the language or the geography is challenging. This time, instead of curling up in my room early at night, I have the option of a contained environment with shows and bars and such. I have the option.

So yes, based on those criteria, I do think a cheap cruise is worth it. It depends on why you're going. And it could suck. US Air certainly sucks over Delta, but both of them will fly me to Europe in 8 hours. This cruise might suck over another (or not), but it's taking me to Greece.

Archived