Cruising from England

cruz4evr

Cruachan, I enjoyed viewing the Cunard pictures from your website. Absolutely stunning photos......may I ask what brand camera did you use?

Thank you.

I use two Sony DSLRs - an Alpha 550 with a Tamron 28-300 zoom for most of the outdoor, and ship photography stuff; and an Alpha 350 with a Sigma 8-16 ultra wide angle zoom for the interiors. I also have a Nikon Coolpix P90 bridge camera that I use when I need something a little more portable and/or unobtrusive.

J

London is great. Very walkable city' date=' lots to do, amazing museums and friendly. The people talk funny, but that adds to the charm. On the westbound crossing you gain an hour most nights that makes it even more relaxing.

[/quote']

Talk funny ??!!!

We're hilarious !!!!!

Thank you.

I use two Sony DSLRs - an Alpha 550 with a Tamron 28-300 zoom for most of the outdoor, and ship photography stuff; and an Alpha 350 with a Sigma 8-16 ultra wide angle zoom for the interiors. I also have a Nikon Coolpix P90 bridge camera that I use when I need something a little more portable and/or unobtrusive.

J

Thank you for the camera information....have you ever considered entering your pictures in any photo contests?

Photography is one of my hobbies and I also greatly admire seeing other people's pictures....it's a wonderful learning experience!

Indeed we are; we're also in very short supply in the Capital. The predominant accent is now East European.

Perhaps the OP mistook it for Cockney.

Mary:D

Well let's hope they were out of their Uncle Ned's and had the Trouble and Strife along when they were walking near St. Mary-le-Bow. :D

Well let's hope they were out of their Uncle Ned's and had the Trouble and Strife along when they were walking near St. Mary-le-Bow. :D

Well, personally, I think that it's much more likely that their mare's tails had gone for a chalk and cheese with their ole bricks and mortar. But, hey, that's just me!

:D:D:D

J

Has anyone cruised from the UK to NY? DH and I are thinking of flying to England, spending a little time there and cruising back to NY.

Thanks in advance.

We did the crossing from Southampton to New York in November and flew back to London whilst many people styled onboard the QM2 for the return crossing. We are flying to NY for afew days and then are on the QM2 leaving New York on 29 June 2012 arriving in Southampton on 5 June to a massive Queen's jubilee celebration together with the Queen Vic and Queen Elizabeth. couldn't resist the momentous occasion. ideally for you to be able to cross from NY and then stay in the UK for a week and return on the QM2 the following week will be fantastic and a real win win! good luck with whatever way you book.

We did the crossing from Southampton to New York in November and flew back to London whilst many people styled onboard the QM2 for the return crossing. We are flying to NY for afew days and then are on the QM2 leaving New York on 29 June 2012 arriving in Southampton on 5 June to a massive Queen's jubilee celebration together with the Queen Vic and Queen Elizabeth. couldn't resist the momentous occasion. ideally for you to be able to cross from NY and then stay in the UK for a week and return on the QM2 the following week will be fantastic and a real win win! good luck with whatever way you book.

Your upcoming trip in June sounds exciting! I wish DH and I could plan a return trip from the UK to NY but until retirement, it's not possible.

We enjoy visiting NY and fortunately don't live far from the big city. We often take the commuter train and stay for the weekend, do some shopping, tour the museums or catch a Broadway show. Do you have any specific plans while you're in NY this summer?

Your upcoming trip in June sounds exciting! I wish DH and I could plan a return trip from the UK to NY but until retirement, it's not possible.

We enjoy visiting NY and fortunately don't live far from the big city. We often take the commuter train and stay for the weekend, do some shopping, tour the museums or catch a Broadway show. Do you have any specific plans while you're in NY this summer?

Hi Andrea,

We also battle to find time to take all our holidays we want to within our annual leave allowance which I understand is considered generous by US standards. I just hope tht when we do retire that we have the health and wealth to be able to carry on having lovely holidays around the world. We do love cruising so it was an easy decision to book another crossing on QM2. On our last visit to NY we had no time todo anything but did get to see progress at WTC and pay our respects again to those who perished at this site. We have not made any plans yet on how to spend our time in NY so any suggestions would be most welcome. We would like to see The book of Mormon on Broadway but it looks like its fully booked- not sure if the half price ticket booth will have any last minute tickets at the time? we may find others interested in wanting to do the same touristy things in NY before the cruise so we will see. We still need to book accommodation in NY but so far everywhere seems rather pricey even with the British pound!

Hi Andrea,

We also battle to find time to take all our holidays we want to within our annual leave allowance which I understand is considered generous by US standards. I just hope tht when we do retire that we have the health and wealth to be able to carry on having lovely holidays around the world. We do love cruising so it was an easy decision to book another crossing on QM2. On our last visit to NY we had no time todo anything but did get to see progress at WTC and pay our respects again to those who perished at this site. We have not made any plans yet on how to spend our time in NY so any suggestions would be most welcome. We would like to see The book of Mormon on Broadway but it looks like its fully booked- not sure if the half price ticket booth will have any last minute tickets at the time? we may find others interested in wanting to do the same touristy things in NY before the cruise so we will see. We still need to book accommodation in NY but so far everywhere seems rather pricey even with the British pound!

We often encounter high hotel rates in NY, especially in the summer and fall months. It's quite a challenge to find a reasonable price if not impossible. Sometimes we will take a weekend trip in January or February when the prices are not quite so insane.

If you enjoy musicals, Mamma Mia (music by Abba) is excellent to which you could probably obtain half price tickets to since it's been on Broadway for quite a while. Or perhaps you have already seen it in London. The Book of Mormon is very popular and fairly new so I doubt half price tickets would be available.

I recommend going to the "View" in the evening which is on the 48th floor of the Marriott Marquis hotel in Times Square.

It's a revolving restaurant/lounge with stunning views of NY.

We often encounter high hotel rates in NY, especially in the summer and fall months. It's quite a challenge to find a reasonable price if not impossible. Sometimes we will take a weekend trip in January or February when the prices are not quite so insane.

If you enjoy musicals, Mamma Mia (music by Abba) is excellent to which you could probably obtain half price tickets to since it's been on Broadway for quite a while. Or perhaps you have already seen it in London. The Book of Mormon is very popular and fairly new so I doubt half price tickets would be available.

I recommend going to the "View" in the evening which is on the 48th floor of the Marriott Marquis hotel in Times Square.

It's a revolving restaurant/lounge with stunning views of NY.

that's good advise, thanks. We will certainly look into all the options. We are regular theatre goers in London and Mamma Mia is on the to do list so we may well try and book for Broadway.

that's good advise, thanks. We will certainly look into all the options. We are regular theatre goers in London and Mamma Mia is on the to do list so we may well try and book for Broadway.

You're welcome Travel mad. There are many great musicals on Broadway......The Phantom of the Opera is excellent, that's been running for many years. We recently saw Memphis which was very enjoyable.

Whatever show you book, I hope it all works out for you and that you will have a great New York experience! :)

This is a link to a US based site that deals with Broadway tickets that I have used in the past. http://www.entertainment-link.com/home.asp?utm_source=NY&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=em1001

This is a link to a US based site that deals with Broadway tickets that I have used in the past. http://www.entertainment-link.com/home.asp?utm_source=NY&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=em1001

thanks for the great link.I will certainly look into this. there are plenty of shows which we have seen in the West End already but so many that we still need to see. Were you on the last westbound crossing of QM2 under Southampton banner in Nov 2011, as we did this trip but flew back from New York. We had such a great trip on QM2 that we have booked to do the Eastbound trip arriving in time to celebrate the Queen's jubilee. Have also just booked a China, Japan and South Korea cruise for summer so 2012 is going to be another busy year of cruising for us.

thanks for the great link.I will certainly look into this. there are plenty of shows which we have seen in the West End already but so many that we still need to see. Were you on the last westbound crossing of QM2 under Southampton banner in Nov 2011, as we did this trip but flew back from New York. We had such a great trip on QM2 that we have booked to do the Eastbound trip arriving in time to celebrate the Queen's jubilee. Have also just booked a China, Japan and South Korea cruise for summer so 2012 is going to be another busy year of cruising for us.

Yes I was, I was also on the 5 day trip immediately after the refit and reflagging.

Archived