Europe 2006 cruises

RDWills

I know I am planning a long ways off, but I usually do. So far I've been having trouble finding prices because most online sites don't let you plug in summer 2006 dates. HAL's site has prices, but we all know that HAL's prices are a bit on the high side. Also for at least my cruise - Noordam August 9th - they have already increased their prices! Anyone know of a site with Europe 2006 pricing for suites up yet.

Someone on the Europe board suggested expedia, but they price all the rooms but suites, perhaps because HAL has gone to the SA-SC pricing for suites. Also on the Expedia site if you click on reviews for the ship (The new Noordam is starting service in early 2006, February I think), the review starts out with this great info....

Noordam, which entered service in 1984, is still a classy ship.....:)

Noordam, which entered service in 1984, is still a classy ship.....:)

Are you referring to the now retired Noordam? If so, the 2006 Noordam is a newbuild. (Fourth Vista Class ship)

I really doubt that there will be discounted rates available on the net for summer of 2006 as of now. The way Europe has been booking for both this and next summer, rates have been lower early out and then generally rising closer to sailing. Booking now will lock in the lead rates and if rates go up prior to final payment, you can always look into an adjustment.

I just got an email with great deals for 2005 - unfortunately, we can't take advantage of them this year, but are hoping they have similar deals next year. The price for a 12-day Vikings cruise in the Baltic is comparable to what we are paying for 7-day Alaska... :o

Are you referring to the now retired Noordam? If so, the 2006 Noordam is a newbuild. (Fourth Vista Class ship)

I really doubt that there will be discounted rates available on the net for summer of 2006 as of now. The way Europe has been booking for both this and next summer, rates have been lower early out and then generally rising closer to sailing. Booking now will lock in the lead rates and if rates go up prior to final payment, you can always look into an adjustment.

I was referring the the New Noordam, which as you say is the 4th Vista class ship, but apparently no one has told the folks at Expedia that it is a new ship, their database just pulls up the the reviews of the old ship with the same name.

I was referring the the New Noordam, which as you say is the 4th Vista class ship, but apparently no one has told the folks at Expedia that it is a new ship, their database just pulls up the the reviews of the old ship with the same name.

Probably because the new ship has not been launched yet. I am pretty certain most "bricks and mortar" TA's have access to pricing, we have obtained pricing for several cruises in 2006 - no bargains yet, it is far too early as Steve mentions. But for me, it is yet another reason to use a "regular" rather than "online" TA. :) Seems like they have updates a lot faster - same with sale pricing.

Agreed ... I'm looking to book a cruise in Europe for the summer of 2006. The prices are all higher than they've been in the past. And, many of the online TAs lack the Summer 2006 HAL listings.

It's interesting that suite prices aren't online yet but others are. So the SS prices are up, but not S or PS? One of the great travel mysteries, I guess. Who has done HAL cruises in Europe already? Is there another line (or two) that is comparable, in you opinion(s)? We originally looked at Baltic or Med cruises before going with the Carib this year, but it goes well on Zui, we may look over there for 2006 or 2007. Which classes of ship do they ususally use for Europe? Hope they're not sending a bunch of the big ones over there...

Thanks in advance,

Scrumpy

Thanks Jim! We looked at several this year, but in the end I didn't want to be away from home for too long at one time. I do not have my ship classes straight, but the Prinsendam is smaller than Maasdam (which we loved). It's hard to tell from the info at HAL. Looks like 500 or so fewer passengers. Does it get crowded at all? Do you get more ocean motion? I'd really like to do this, I think.

thanks again!

Scrumpy

We sailed the Mediterranean last fall (Lisbon to Athens) on the Prinsendam. Really great ship. Its smaller size let us get into some unique ports of call.

The Prinsendam carries just under 800 passengers. I didn't notice any ocean motion that was out of the ordinary. The ship definitely does not feel crowded. It's such a breeze to get around in. Doesn't take but a couple of minutes to get from stem to stern. My DW noted the lack of variety in the onboard shops ... but I could care less. I don't go cruising to shop! (I know ... it's a guy thing.) We look forward to boarding her again in August.

Archived