Noumea Tours

issy999

Just booked our second cruise. 9 nights to Vila, Mystery Island, Lifou and Noumea. Been the three of the islands last time and loved them all - walked to the church and snorkelled in Lifou, Waterfall in Vila, snorkelled on Mystery Island. Does anyone have suggestions of what to do in Noumea? We are there for a full day till 10pm!

Hey, Was just in noumea yesterday, and 2 days before, still on the cruise now.

We went jet Skiing both times, was fantastic! :)

Also went swimming etc there too.

I have been told quite a lot that there is not that much to do there, which is very true.

Mostly just shopping and swimming :)

I have been told quite a lot that there is not that much to do there, which is very true.

can i ask where you went swiming?

also shopping?

Forgot to add that we'll have our children with us, aged 11 and 12 - so jet skiing not really suitable. Any other suggestions? We'll be snorkelling at two of our other stops, so looking for something different here.

The Tchou Tchou Train (Le Petit Train) is always popular with adults and children. You can book via the ship - (expensive) or try when you get ashore.

http://www.petit-train.nc/index_en.html

There is also the Noumea Explorer bus that takes in the two beach areas in Noumea, the Aquarium ( my personal favourite) and the Tjibaou Cultural centre. It is hop on hop off and you can find ticket stands for this and other tours/ attractions on the ground floor of the Passenger terminal where you dock.

Another option is a water taxi ride to Duck Island (Ile aux Canards) - I know you are planning to snorket in other places but weather is not always predictable so be prepared if you have a glorious day in Noumea to change plans and head off for duck island. There is a snorkeling trail, which may particularly appeal to the children. Again enquire at the terminal building.

http://www.newcaledonia-diving.com/DIP/snorkelingtour/seagardenuk.html

Enjoy your day in Noumea. We are fond of the place, having spent several land holidays there. You may find more information or get more answers on the Pacific Islands board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=104

Colleen

• 5 months later...

Hello :) just wondering if you think its better to book jetskiing through the cruise or if your better off booking when your on the islands? not even sure if you can book it on the islands but thought i'd ask anyway.. going to noumea in october and jetskiing is the one thing im dying to do! :)

Amadee Island is worth a visit, I haven't been myself but I've heard from a few people it's very good.

I recommend the Aquarium near Bay de Citron, not hard to get a bus out there and there is a nice beach nearby and lots of cafes.

As for shopping... I'm the wrong person to ask as I was there boxing day when the shops were closed. The tourist centre near the port, upstairs and down, had some good stuff (particularly if you want pearls). You can also get your passport stamped there.

I love Mystery Island though and can't wait until I get abck there, beats all th other Islands by very fair IMHO.

Archived