Anyone try the seaplane trip as a shore excursion?

cvhbauman

We are coming in on the Sensation, May 18th. Ship is supposed to dock at 7AM and leave at 3PM. Seaplane schedule to the Dry Tortugas is 8AM or 10AM, returning to Key West at noon or 2PM. So we are either cutting it close on the take-off, or on the return. We're trying to decide if we want to risk it. :confused:

I called Carnival about their on-time record, and she couldn't tell me anything other than "they try to be on time or ahead of time." The seaplane people recommend the 10AM flight, in case the ship runs late, but that leaves us rushing to get back to the ship.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone with knowledge that will help with this decision--if Carnival has been docking the Sensation on time there, if the seaplanes get back on time, how traffic between Mallory Square & the airport is (it's less than 5 miles--the morning should be OK, but will there be street traffic at 2PM?), are there taxis at Mallory Square? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

After debating back and forth, we have reluctantly decided to not attempt the seaplane this cruise. The scheduling is just a little too tight for us to feel comfortable. We decided it wasn't worth being stressed out about docking on time to make it, or putting a damper on the day while we worried about if we'd get back to the ship on time. If everything ran perfectly, there is sufficient time, but we all know there's no guarantee on things running perfectly! :rolleyes:

Everything I've read about it, though, was favorable, so we have promised ourselves to do it another time--probably on a driving trip. I hope you have a good time in June, though!

We were thinking about the same thing. You made the right decision. We e-mailed them and got a response back last night. They said that loading time is 7:30, but it is a distance to their place, and with the time restraints, they do not encourage cruisers to take their trip. Was impressed with their honesty and quick reply. We are very disappointed too. We are thinking about doing the "jungletour" small boat and snorkle trip.

Archived