Driving in Elba, Italy

Northerncheapo

Hello All...

First, I want to wish you all a great journey on your Monaco-Barcelona-Monaco trip in April. Looks like many of you are on this particular voyage, but alas, I am doing the Monaco-Monaco May 5-17 so I will be missing you all. From the looks of it, we are sailing alone,lol.

I have a question about Elba (Portoferraio), Italy, our second last port of call. I understand that the island is 'fish shaped' and can be circumvented in a few hours by car. I was wondering if any of you have driven on this island and if it was difficult. And by difficult, I mean, are there crazy drivers? Are the roads clearly marked? That kind of thing. We are considering renting a scooter and tooling around (can't find anyone who rents motorcycles...weird?).

We have an image of driving along and stopping where we want without any stress. DH is not interested in fighting idiot drivers while on a bike (he is an experienced motorcycle driver and I will be the pax).

Thoughts?

Thanks,

A

Oh, of course, if it is a safe and calm enough area to ride a scooter on your own, then we will each take one.

Although...the last time I rented a scooter was just outside Stanley Park in Vancouver. Cars were whipping around me as I struggled with the speed limit on my limited cc's just prior to entering the park gates. Finally, someone rolled their window down as they were passing me and yelled, "GET OFF THE F'KING ROAD". I started to bawl as my husband was ahead of me and I was really trying my best for that short 2 km ride on the main road. LOL True story.

A good friend of mine rented a scooter on vacation, was involved in an accident (not her fault) and ended up with a ruptured spleen, having emergency surgery in a foreign country where she didn't know the language, etc. It was awful. Now accidents can happen anywhere. But I think this is a bad idea.

Elba is a beautiful island - we visited on the Spirit in May 2011.

However, it is very similar to many Mediterranean islands - out of the towns the roads are narrow and very windy, with precipitous drops on the edge of the road. I'm used to narrow roads - I drive a lot in rural England, Ireland and France - but I would have been anxious driving on Elba.

And yes, Italian drivers do tend to be crazy.

Archived