Just back from Dzul-Ha

mcgraiha

Just got back from the Carnival Elation last nite and spent last Wednesday in Cozumel snorkeling at Dzul-Ha. We had wanted to go to Paradise Beach also but due to last minute changes, our ship had to tender in Cozumel and that was a loooong process so a lot of our time on the island was cut out. Dzul Ha was fun and the snorkeling was fantastic. we rented equipment from the beach club right there....i think it might have been cheaper if we went across the street to the Palmar Estates Beach Club but it was reasonable. We paid $48 for 4 masks, 4 sets of flippers, 3 life jackets, and a locker that was large enough for all of our belongings. they had a small menu but the prices were reasonable so we ended up eating there also. it cost $44 for chips, salsa, guacomole, chicken nachos, and about 7 beers and a diet pepsi, including tip. i thought that was a good price although the nachos were not anything special. it was definitely our most relaxing day. it cost $10 by cab from the Punta Langosta pier. so altogether we spent about $112 for the whole day for myself, my husband, and my parents. much cheaper than a snorkel excursion from the ship and my family enjoyed the ability to walk in from the shore instead of off a boat (my dad is not a strong swimmer) and also we could take a break and relax in between trips out in the water. there was also tables and chairs both in the sun and under a large hut which was great as my dad burns very easily.

We, too, had our best hours at Dzul Ha. You're right, you probably would have saved a little money and found a wonderful oasis (and gorgeous, relaxing pool) at PalMar across the roadway -- but isn't the snorkeling wonderful?

My traveling companion really didn't want to snorkel, but went along to appease me. I won't have a difficult time getting her in the water again -- she loved it.

So how was the snorkeling at Dzul Ha?

Plenty of fish -- we saw a large flounder even (or was it a grouper?) -- and varied coral even within yards of the shore, but even better farther out. The current is noticeable, but there are beaches farther south within walking distance where you can exit and hike back.

Archived