From the UK, using an USA TA

welsh-girl

Hi

Has any one from the UK ever booked a cruise with an American TA

We are looking at going on a Canadian River Cruise in 2013. There is a small ship called the Yorktown that does the itinary that we like the look of. I am e-mailing a lovely/very helpful TA in America who can arrange everything for us but I just want to know if anyone has any experience of doing this.

Hope that someone can help me.. Thank you in advance

Lots of advantages in using a US T/A, especially price and more customer-friendly cancellation terms. :)

A couple of minor caveats:

US T/As don't quote prices inclusive of mandatory charges as UK agents are obliged to do. Such as sales tax, mebbe port fees. So check what there is to pay on top of the quoted price

Your price will be in USD & by the time payment is due the exchange rate is likely to have moved. Mebbe to your advantage, mebbe to your disadvantage.

And one major caveat:

You will not have the consumer protection of ABTA, ATOL, or the UK govt. If the T/A goes belly-up or runs off to Hawaii with your money, no-one will re-imburse you. Ditto any disputes.:eek:

So pay only by credit card. Not debit card, PayPal, bank transfer, brown envelope etc. That way your credit card company has joint responsibilities with the T/A

JB :)

Hi

Has any one from the UK ever booked a cruise with an American TA

We are looking at going on a Canadian River Cruise in 2013. There is a small ship called the Yorktown that does the itinary that we like the look of. I am e-mailing a lovely/very helpful TA in America who can arrange everything for us but I just want to know if anyone has any experience of doing this.

Hope that someone can help me.. Thank you in advance

According to my American TA, she can book anyone on most major cruise lines if you have a North American address, even if you are not a resident of North America. Only a couple of cruise lines will not allow it. So verify first with your American TA. I book for a friend from Australia using my address with Celebrity and was ok. Happy cruising.

According to my American TA, she can book anyone on most major cruise lines if you have a North American address, even if you are not a resident of North America. Only a couple of cruise lines will not allow it. So verify first with your American TA. I book for a friend from Australia using my address with Celebrity and was ok. Happy cruising.

I have booked through an American TA. They have a large website and you can look up wich cruiselines will allow overseas customers.

For example Carnaval, Celebrity, Crystal and Norwegian will allow overseas bookings and there seem to be no need for a residential address. TA also checked with cruiseline to see if was still in place.

Cruiselines that do not allow overseas bookings are : Costa, Cunard, HAL, MSC, Oceania, P & O, Princess, Royal Caribbean & Star Clippers.

THis can change sometimes like MSC changed recently to non overseas.

Hi All

Thanks for your informative replies.

The thought of no ABTA etc. protection was one of my main worries.

I'm still trawling throught he good old internet to try to find a UK agent that can help.

Several have promised to call me back but not heard from anyone yet.

Thank you again

Archived