My first experience with the upgrade fairy!

nessz79

I had my first experience with the upgrade fairy today. We got an e-mail offering us a better balcony for only $40 total (per stateroom). We were already booked in a partially obstructed balcony (7A) and we were able to upgrade to an extended balcony (8K). So excited! We're on the Legend and went from room 5234 to 7291 if you want to take a peek.

Just wanted to share in my excitement :).

That sounds great! How soon until you cruise? Would love to get a call like that before our sailing next month.

We cruise April 1st. This is the first time we've been contacted about an upgrade. I think it might be related to the recent Concordia tragedy (people cancelling or not booking)...as it is a Spring Break week and we expected it to be busier.

As I've cynically said before, while happy for you, all the folks who booked ES for that category and who are looking for price reduction on that category won't see a "published fare reduction" when CCL engages in this private sale tactic. ES is becoming more of a gimmick every day.

As I've cynically said before, while happy for you, all the folks who booked ES for that category and who are looking for price reduction on that category won't see a "published fare reduction" when CCL engages in this private sale tactic. ES is becoming more of a gimmick every day.

That might be one of the reasons I've never had an upsell offer before. This is the first time we didn't book ES. We did Past Guest. Es has its definite advantages and definite disadvantages. Hard to say what's best in a situation.

Don't get me wrong-I would have jumped at it too. I just think CCL is a little dishonest in promoting "price protection" based on a lower published fare, then avoids publishing those fares by private upsells. In business to make money, I know, but how transparent can you get? Folks who don't read these boards have no idea.

Archived