P&O Classical Old Liners

In the 50s and early 60s P&O ships except for the old Himalaya and the Canberra were all named starting with the letter "O".

Does anyone know whatever happened to those great old liners...the Orsova, the Orcades and the Oronsay?

Ciao for now!!!

The ships starting with "O" were actually Orient Line ships (no connection to today's Orient Lines who own MARCO POLO). P&O bought control of Orient Line in 1919 but Orient remained independent. In the post-war years, P&O and Orient Line's passenger operations were marketed as P&O-Orient Lines. In 1962, P&O purchased the remaining interest in Orient Line and their passenger operations were fully integrated into P&O.

Today's ORIANA is named in the Orient Line tradition.

The fate of the post-war P&O-Orient Liners are as follows:

IBERIA was scrapped in 1972.

CHUSAN was scrapped in 1973.

HIMALAYA, ORCADES, ORSOVA, and ORONSAY were scrapped in 1974.

ARCADIA was scrapped in 1979.

CANBERRA was scrapped in 1997. An excellent site on this incomparable ship - arguably the best-loved and most distinguished post-war British liner (sorry QE2!) - can be seen here.

ORIANA was withdrawn in 1986 and sold for stationary use in Japan and later China. She is presently at Dalian, China, where she was used as a tourist attraction; however last year she was severely damanged in a storm and she is presently dormant with her future in question. See more here.

1972-1974 must have been an incredibly sad time for P&O, with six of their nine passenger vessels being withdrawn. Unfortunately the slowdown of immigration to Australia, the popularization of the jet aircraft, and the fuel crisis mandated a rapid fleet reduction. The three remaining ships all became full-time cruise ships and CANBERRA lasted more than two decades further!

Fortunately they rebounded in cruising and when P&O Princess Cruises was spun off from P&O Steam Navigation in 2000 they were the third-largest cruise operator in the world. Today P&O Princess Cruises is the largest subsidiary of Carnival Corporation & plc and among other things they own the world's largest ship, QUEEN MARY 2 - a rich reward considering the traditional rivalry between P&O and Cunard! In the end P&O won, even if by way of Carnival.

• 5 months later...

When we did Australia/NewZealand on the Pacific Princess (old), in Jan 95, they had a wonderful in-cabin TV feature on the Orient Lines and P&O Lines ships being used as troopers during WWII. Background music included Roger Whittaker's "Tonight We Sail for England" (if that is right title).

Unfortunately, I have lost the name of the program - would love to buy a copy if available commercially.

Host Doug - any ideas on that documentary?

I do have a copy of that wonderful book, P&O History, which includes much info on the old ships.

I was lucky in my younger years to have sailed on the Arcadia once and the Oriana twice. Many memories and often wonder about crew members who I made friends with. These in those days where voyages from 45 days to 30 days hence many friendships where formed. ;) Male and female... (LOL).

Just so happened after 29 years of trying to get my wife to cruise she finally relented and agreed. She enjoyed it so much she booked the next on board...

Oh those memories and I seemed to have the ability to stay up later then as well :)

Incidently, the old Orri is in the process of being broken up following the damage received during the typhoon. There are pictures somewhere, very sad to see such a wonderful old ship being ripped apart but after she was so badly damaged it was the only course available.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Folks,

When I was on the ORIANA (San Francisco-Auckland, Dec 73) One of the head bartenders was an English guy by the name of Mick.

On this 14 day voyage (when rules were meant to be broken) there was many a night when after the bars closed we all were invited down to the crew's quarters to continue the merriment in the cabin's below G deck (not too many knew that there was anything lower than that).

Will always remember Mick and his bar staff for the hospitality and fun they showed us all on that voyage 32 yrs ago.

If anybody knows of Mick's whereabouts these days post it for us. Cheers and...

Ciao for now!!!

• 1 month later...

I know I'm reading some very old posts, but it made me smile

to see that the other cruisers from the good ole days, are also wondering where some of the great people we met on these longgggggggggg cruises, are.

I am in touch with one of my 6 cabin mates!!!! whom I met in 1972

we are meeting up in Los Angeles, and going on Island Princess January 21, 2006. She lives in England and I am in Canada!!

Should be fun, and very different with only 15 days cruising, instead of the 35 days we cruised to Sydney, Australia!!!

wow.

those were the days@!!

anne.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived