Any News on Egypt?

TeamBozo

My wife and I are booked on the 18 day Dubai to Monte Carlo cruise on the Whisper in April. I'm sure we'll have fun no matter what, but we are hoping to be able to visit the Pyramids and Luxor.

I've heard conflicting reports about the status of these excursions. The official word (of course) from Silversea is they are planning to run them. Have you heard anything to the contrary?

Thank You.

My niece, her husband and their daughters have lived in Cairo for the past 8 years. He works with the Egyptian Air Force and spends most of his time up in the delta south of Alexandria. Other than the period while the overthrow of Mubarak was going on, they have been there continuously. My brother talked to them last week and they said things are not much different than in the past and they are not being advised to leave. You must keep in mind though that things there can change in a heartbeat. I'm sure that SS will not go there if there is any danger to the pax and they will not do the tours you mentioned if there is not a very good degree of safety. Even in 2005 when we did the tour from Safaga-Luxor-Abu Simbal-Cairo-Port Said from the Regent Voyager we had armed guards with us the entire way.

I hate to say this but if seeing the Pyramids and Luxor are your main reason for taking this cruise I would cancel before final payment. As Dougburns says SS will not go there if it would endanger the passengers and ship in any way. However, if they substitute some Greek island at the last minute it would be a great disappointment. I just think things are way too volatile in that region now to be planning a visit.

Archived