Stroller?

WideAwake428

We are looking at going on a cruise on Oasis. This would be our first cruise with a child (our daughter would be almost 10 months old). I know I'd be taking my Moby carrier but what about a stroller? Are they allowed/have you seen people use them? Do they just seem to get in the way? I wouldn't want to lug it on and then never even use it because it isn't convenient.

I surely would take a stroller for my 10 month old. I even thought about brining one when my girl was 3 years old. We did not then, but I surely did to Disney World. Now she can keep up very well, but at 10 months, we would have been wearing her.

Nancy

We were on the Allure about 5 months ago with our 2 yr old daughter and we used ours quite a bit. It was also our first cruise. Definitely while at the ports is was used alot. We saw quite a few other families using strollers too. Ours is a Chicco cortina, which is a full size stroller and was not a problem at all. We just never got a smaller stroller and I even considered getting a small umbrella one before the cruise, but I'm so glad we didn't because all the extra storage space to carry diaper bag and stuff came in very handy. I take my strollers everywhere because our daughter is really big and heavy and I can't carry her for too long.

I would imagine that with an infant it would be even more necessary. We had a balcony cabin so we used to keep it on the balcony.

We plan on taking it with us again next month when we are on the Oasis, even though our daughter is almost three, because don't want to worry about having to carry her when she is super exhausted after a day at the beach or after walking for a while at the ports of call.

Hope this helps!

We brought a maclaren when we went with our 18 month old. It was great because it folded up so thin and was out of the way in the cabin (although we ended up putting it on the couch folded up because with the pack and play we were running out of floor space). We used it at almost all the ports too. It was helpful because of the long walk usually at the piers. When we went on excursions, we just folded it up and stored it (even on a boat). We had a techno but bought the lightest weight one we could find for the trip. It did not recline but he was able to sleep in it just as well and it was much lighter than our techno. I wonder what we will do in November when we go on the Oasis. We will have a 3.5 year old and an almost 18 month old. I would love to bring my double stroller (phil and teds) but I k now that is out of the question as it is so heavy and bulky and no room in the cabin. We will either just bring one maclaren or wind up bringing two. We shall see how the 3.5 year old is doing with no stroller when we get closer to the trip.

I'd also say the MacClaren versus an umbrella stroller. The MacClaren is compact but substantial enough for comfortable naps. I would bring an umbrella stroller maybe for an older baby but not a 10 month old. We used the stroller around the ship and in port. We never brought it to the dining room or lido, just carried our son and used the high chair as the stroller does take up room around or under the tables.

• 2 weeks later...

We cruised with our 15 month old and brought our stroller and our baby carrier. The stroller we used the most. It's a huge ship, not to mention getting around the airport. In port it was great for lugging the diaper bag and anything we bought in port. We use a CityMini and that's what we brought. It has a nice canopy for shade. We also have a MacLaren and that would have been fine too. It was a little tight squeezing it into the closet with our other things (balcony cabin on princess) but worth it. Bring a cheapo umbrella over nothing, you won't regret it!

Not only will you want a stroller for around the ship, but you will want it in port too....

We just took "The Traveling GingerBaby on the Go" (8 mo--) on his first Cruise --Just off the Triumph this past weekend.

We did (lots) of research and decided on the Chicco LiteWay. Its Awesome! Reclines fully but is very supportive unlike umbrellas. Yet was small enought to fit in the closet when in the cabin. (weighs only 16 lbs)

Love it!! we also got a small backpack type bag (think purse size) to just tuck in the (smallish) cargo space for going around the ship...just big enough to hold 2 diapers, wipes, disposable changing pads, "diaper disposal" bags (which I put EVERY Diaper in, wet or poopy, in the cabin or not--never smelled a diaper once) and a bottle, spoon and bib.

Worked like a charm... I was going to bring our BabyK'tan, carrier but when I tryed him in it for the first time since he was "tiny" he was having none of it.. so the K'tan stayed home...

~also, on Carnival they *did* have Jeep strollers(about 8/10 of them) for "loan" in the Camp Carnival area~

chicco1.jpg.f2c37b5627d5c94f2684903cf143d8ff.jpg

coconut.jpg.5965fb191128b8dd04e2e00c6955f376.jpg

sleepcruise.jpg.c9a4c400f401a782fa13083ce67dd9ba.jpg

budkincruise.jpg.751343c6f384c324515ad097f663c47f.jpg

Personal choice. Hard to get an idea of the size of stroller in photo, with out any point of refrence. ;)

Just remember that the ship is tight as far as getting around, esp in the evenings. And consider the weight of the stroller, you do have to fold it and carry it a few times... it has to go thru the xray coming and going from each port and at embark.

(and at embark you have to hold baby 'at arms length' to go thru xray...which with a heavy baby can be tough..lol -- GingerBaby at 8mo already weights 25 lbs...)

So just consider the size of the stroller when your pushing it too... and how it turns and manovers... that LightWay we have turns on a dime... very easy to handle.

in Any case...have fun!:)

We always used an umbrella stroller (Chicco?) for the cruise, due to space constraints. Don't forget it has to be stored INSIDE your cabin at night. We've kept it on our balcony during one cruise and on other cruises, we would fold it up and put it in the shower. Totally out of the way!

CeleBrat

Posted to clarify. Chicco makes an umbrella type stroller, it does Not fully recline and is only about a pound lighter then the one we decided on.

The LightWay is the one we got (a bit more pricey...worth it tho) Fully Reclines has very good back support...important to us since GingerBaby is a big boy (@ 8 mo)

We always bring an umbrella stroller on our cruises for DS. Strollers make exploring ports a whole lot easier! I never found strollers to be an inconvenience or in the way for other passengers. We use a Chicco umbrella stroller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From the photo you have shared with us, I would say that it's better to use an umbrella stroller than full size stroller. Full size strollers are larger and heavier, as well as wider. May be hard to get around in concentrated public areas on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be interested in any stroller recommendations that you have. We have a Baby Jogger City Mini for our little guy (who will be 10 months old on our cruise in September). Is that too big? What would you recommend?

We have taken our City Mini with us on the RCCL Allure, RCCL Liberty and NCL Sky. It just fits through the doorway into the stateroom without having to collapse it. As you know, it conveniently folds in half for easy storage in the room or on a balcony when not in use.

Umbrella strollers are very convenient when used simply as a means for getting from point A to point B. But, when you are travelling with a diaper bag, formula/milk, etc., you can't beat the convenience the larger stroller offers in terms of underneath storage and being able to hang the diaper bag off the back. And, it is ideal for taking long distance walks on deck, around the track, and ashore so the little one can sleep in the very reclined position.

Archived