Problem Paying RCCL

Cruise_Kitten

I went to go and pay my cruise off the other day and got told my card was declined! I asked why as all the money was in my bank and they told me to call my bank. I called my bank who said Royal Caribbean must have put my card through as a credit card, it's just a standard Visa Debit, I was then told to call up Royal Caribbean again and make sure they were putting it through as a Debit not a Credit card.

So called Royal again and went through all the options and got through to someone. Gave my card details again and it was once again declined. I asked if he had put it through as a debit and he said he had. He then proceeded to tell me that people who bank with NatWest are all having their cards declined by them because of an incident that happened at a TA shop in Scotland over the Christmas period. He couldn't tell me all the details but I would have to find another card to pay with because until all these restriction have been taken off they won't take Natwest Visa Debit cards!!

Anyone else had this problem or know of any reason why this would happen?

CK x

It is true that RCCL cannot accept payment by Nat West Visa Debit Card...this is due to a change Nat West made to the chips in their Debit cards from what I understand.

Royal Bank of Scotland Debit cards cannot be used either with RCCL for making payments.

I've also encountered problems with RBS debit cards but only online, I have been able to pay over the telephone with it. If you have a credit card use that, added protection, no CC charges from RCCL either, unlike some travel agents.

It is true that RCCL cannot accept payment by Nat West Visa Debit Card...this is due to a change Nat West made to the chips in their Debit cards from what I understand.

Royal Bank of Scotland Debit cards cannot be used either with RCCL for making payments.

Nice to see I am not alone in this. Such a nightmare!

I've also encountered problems with RBS debit cards but only online, I have been able to pay over the telephone with it. If you have a credit card use that, added protection, no CC charges from RCCL either, unlike some travel agents.

I have 1 credit card with a limit of £250 for emergencies only, stuck somewhere, car breakdown......

I am still not very money wise and it's an amazing feat that I can save up enough money to pay for a cruise :D I was always told as a child by my granddad that if I ever wanted anything I would have to save up for it, that way when I got it I knew it was worth the hard effort and I would feel like I deserve it :)

CK x

Sounds more like RCI not updating their systems to cope with changes in security made by banks.

Nice to see I am not alone in this. Such a nightmare!

I have 1 credit card with a limit of £250 for emergencies only, stuck somewhere, car breakdown......

I am still not very money wise and it's an amazing feat that I can save up enough money to pay for a cruise :D I was always told as a child by my granddad that if I ever wanted anything I would have to save up for it, that way when I got it I knew it was worth the hard effort and I would feel like I deserve it :)

CK x

Make an overpayment so that you are in credit then once this has been credited to you card/account, make the payment (done this a few times to simply get the protection offered by paying by credit card).

Archived