Advice for Cruising with a 1 year old out of Charleston in March on CCL Fantasy

Cruisin Suzy

We leave in just over a month from Charleston for 6 days on the Fantasy. My daughter just turned 1 and is very active (she will most likely be walking by then as is taking her first steps now). Just wondering if anyone has an packing tips or other advice they would like to share. We have adjoining rooms with my parents, and my brother and his wife, as well as aunts, uncles, cousins and grandma will be on the cruise so we have lots of hands on deck to help with the little one!

I should add that we have cruised twice in the Caribbean before- both out of Florida, one CCL and one Princess, but this is our first vacation with our daughter.

So far, from other ideas posted on CC, I have come up with this list- any help in adding to it would be much appreciated!

-sippy cup/ cutlery/ bib and a small bottle of dish soap for washing

-her own lifejacket

-umbrella stroller with basket and sunshade

-small toys that can double as beach toys/ bath toys and every day toys

-a few books (she loves books!)

-sunscreen

-sun hat and sun suit

-infant Tylenol

-powdered Pedialyte

-crib and pp sheet (not sure which one will actually fit the crib)

-clothes (need some help on which type as Charleston is a bit cooler I think but then FL and Bahamas are warmer- we are in Charleston for 4 days before)

Sounds like you've got it covered! Whatever you use on a regular basis at home...bring it.

As far as clothes....layers...bring warm weather stuff, and if it's cool, put 2 layers on the child. No need to bring 2 different 'seasons" of clothing.

We went on the same cruise with our DS when he was 1 and it was hard with the pool (him not going in) but try to give him a nap in stroller during that time since my older kids were swimming. But a good idea is to take extra boxes of cereal with you from breakfast for later. I would take a box of cheerios with us to dinner and give him some , since it takes a while to get the food. Have fun!

-sippy cup/ cutlery/ bib and a small bottle of dish soap for washing

We brought the disposable bibs and placemats. The disposable bibs, although not "green", came in handy especially when we were in port. If you do not go that route, I suggest bringing a ziplock bag that you can place the dirty bib in. This is even true on ship if you do not want to rush back to the room right after each meal. The placemats were great because (with the exception of the MDR), the tables are not always that clean and we could just put finger foods on the placemat and let our DS feed himself a bit in between us feeding him.

We brought the disposable bibs and placemats. The disposable bibs, although not "green", came in handy especially when we were in port. If you do not go that route, I suggest bringing a ziplock bag that you can place the dirty bib in. This is even true on ship if you do not want to rush back to the room right after each meal. The placemats were great because (with the exception of the MDR), the tables are not always that clean and we could just put finger foods on the placemat and let our DS feed himself a bit in between us feeding him.

Great idea! Thanks! Do you know where I could purchase these? Target?

We went on the same cruise with our DS when he was 1 and it was hard with the pool (him not going in) but try to give him a nap in stroller during that time since my older kids were swimming. But a good idea is to take extra boxes of cereal with you from breakfast for later. I would take a box of cheerios with us to dinner and give him some , since it takes a while to get the food. Have fun!

Awesome ideas- not sure if DD will sleep in stroller if it isn't moving, but will keep this in mind and she sure does love her Cherrios!

Sounds like you've got it covered! Whatever you use on a regular basis at home...bring it.

As far as clothes....layers...bring warm weather stuff, and if it's cool, put 2 layers on the child. No need to bring 2 different 'seasons" of clothing.

Will keep the idea of layers in mind when I am packing, thanks!

We cruised with our son when he was 11 months and 14 months and it looks like you have the majority covered. I would also suggest those green or yellow bags to put dirty diapers in and lots of snacks. Also, bring extra diapers. First cruise I had many left over and 2nd cruise I had 1 left by the morning we disembarked couldn't believe I went through so many. Also, we brought all of our son's things (things he couldn't do without) in our carry on in case luggage was delayed or lost. Enjoy your cruise!

I dont think the crib sheet is necessary, we just used what the ship had when I went in 2010. We did bring his favorite stuff animal and favorite blanket. The disposable bibs and place mats are awesome, definatley some bags for the diapers. We also bring the pediatric probiotics. My son can get some yucky stools sometimes and this really helps with an off digestive track.

We would take a few cartons of milk from the breakfast area and cereal boxes too for snacks later in the day. We did not bring on snacks and honestly we did not need them. Plenty of food around to get something. You could bring extra ziplocs to put stuff in.

Thanks, will def bring extra diapers!

We cruised with our son when he was 11 months and 14 months and it looks like you have the majority covered. I would also suggest those green or yellow bags to put dirty diapers in and lots of snacks. Also, bring extra diapers. First cruise I had many left over and 2nd cruise I had 1 left by the morning we disembarked couldn't believe I went through so many. Also, we brought all of our son's things (things he couldn't do without) in our carry on in case luggage was delayed or lost. Enjoy your cruise!

Good to know about the sheet. I had heard from others that they used a regular bed sheet and that it was kind of bunchy. Was your's an actual crib sheet? Thanks!

I dont think the crib sheet is necessary, we just used what the ship had when I went in 2010. We did bring his favorite stuff animal and favorite blanket. The disposable bibs and place mats are awesome, definatley some bags for the diapers. We also bring the pediatric probiotics. My son can get some yucky stools sometimes and this really helps with an off digestive track.

We would take a few cartons of milk from the breakfast area and cereal boxes too for snacks later in the day. We did not bring on snacks and honestly we did not need them. Plenty of food around to get something. You could bring extra ziplocs to put stuff in.

Good to know about the sheet. I had heard from others that they used a regular bed sheet and that it was kind of bunchy. Was your's an actual crib sheet? Thanks!

The one we got on RCCL was just a plain white top sheet from a twin set. We had brought our own pack and play sheet and used our own. Another thing is - we have found at hotels and on the cruise - the AC can be pretty cold. We brought a fleece sleepsack for our DS (lighter to pack than a blanket).

The one we got on RCCL was just a plain white top sheet from a twin set. We had brought our own pack and play sheet and used our own. Another thing is - we have found at hotels and on the cruise - the AC can be pretty cold. We brought a fleece sleepsack for our DS (lighter to pack than a blanket).

OK, good to know, maybe I will bring our own just in case as it takes up little room as I think she would probably rip a non-fitted one off. Good to know about the AC as well- thanks!!

Archived