Still researching

colkeena

What is the best way to get from Venice to Southampton?I would prefer a train to see some sights as I would not be rushed.We have 3 days but have spent some time in Venice so would like to go straight to Southampton and see a few sights from there.Are trains more expensive than flying?Trying to get from one cruise to another.Want the least hassle possible.Are there senior rates on the train?Would I have to buy tickets before we go?How long does it take to get from Celebrity cruise in Venice to train or flight using cruise transferLots of questions.Want to be prepared with information before booking cruiseThanks

I love taking trains in Europe but not in this case.

It's almost always going to cost more to take the train than a plane in a situation like this.

The train trip would take between 17 - 23 hours, depending on the connections you get. You would need to change trains anywhere from 2 -4 times in the course of the trip. In some cases the station you arrive into isn't the station you need to depart from. With luggage this would be a challenge, to say the least. Finally, because of the timing, you may find yourself with hours to fill in a train station (late night arrival, departing train isn't until next morning), or arrive at your final destination in the middle of the night.

Here's an example:

Venice to Milan (2.5 hours)

Milan to Paris (8.0 hours) *arrives Centrale, departs Porta Garibaldi

Paris to London (1.5 hours) * arrives Paris Lyon, depart Paris Nord

London to Southhampton (1.5 hours) *arrives St. Pancras, departs Waterloo

Of all the European train web sites, I find the German one the most complete and easiest to use for research: http://www.bahn.com/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

You might consider taking a train to Le Havre and the ferry from there to Southhampton, but you still have a difficult train trip with two or three changes and arrivals and departures from different stations.

Would you consider renting a car and driving? Venice to Le Havre by car is about 13 hours, then a ferry from there.

Hmmm. Quite a challenge. I believe it will be less expensive, and certainly less time consuming, to fly. The trains to go that distance are very costly. Plus you would have to go through Paris, or Calais, to get the Eurostar to London, and then take a train back the other way to Southampton, unless there is another way I don't know about. I guess you could get to Northern France and get a ferry across the Channel. But it is going to be cheaper to catch a flight on a discount carrier, although beware of the baggage charges.

We were going to take a train from Barcelona to Paris. It was hundreds of dollars per person. We caught a plane, booked the day before, for under $100/pp. Had we booked earlier, we could have paid half that.

I just checked the Trenitalia site. I had to look in April to get a price. It takes 13 hours to get to Paris and costs 120 euros pp. Then a minimum of $92 to get to London, then the train from London to Southampton--all the while lugging your baggage on and off the trains. If it were me, I'd fly!

We would probably opt to fly because of the economics. Easyjet has flights from Venice to Gatwick that generally cost less then $100. Of course with EasyJet your luggage can easily double the cost depending on the weight.

Hank

Archived