Hotels in Barbados

donaho

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Donaho,

I too am looking for a brief encounter in Barbados.

We have booked Spirit for 2013 and Tripadvisor giving less than favourable

Reviews of the Fairmont, I'm wondering has anyone any experience of

'The House' In Barbados? Boutique style, Adults only, 34 junior and 1 bed suites.

Rooms look lovely.

The coral reef club would be my second choice.

Duct tape do you have any further advice on coral reef club please?

Many thanks Joe 90 for your speedy reply.

Duct Tape, thank you for answering also.

The advice I am hoping for in relation to Coral Reef Club is mainly about room types. There are cottages and junior suites and superior and luxury categories. I would trust your advice on which category to select.

You very kindly advised me on Greve and the truffled parmesan which was delicious, and also Osteria Di Passignano which was the highlight of our cruise.

Any tips on what made your Coral Reef stay special would be very appreciated.

We have been to Barbados before in 1997 and stayed in the Colony Club but we weren't overly impressed.

Friends have raved over dining at The Cliff, which we never ate at so we want to try Barbados again to include that.

Last year on Spirit was for my fortieth birthday and the next cruise on Spirit is for my husbands. I never believed Silversea could be as good as they were,

and we couldn't wait to rebook. We are completely hooked!

I really want it to be special and of course I don't even have to consider that with Silversea as I know it will be, so that leaves Barbados....

Many Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Ingrid

Hello,

I too would whole heartedly recommend the Coral Reef Club, having stayed there the first time after leaving the Silver Whisper & even though I stayed one night post cruise I was upgraded to a lovely double garden room - food & service first class. Last year I stayed there 3 nights prior to a cruise on the Spirit & again was upgraded to an even larger ground floor double garden room - what a first class hotel and mirrors the service on Silversea. I am in the process of arranging this year's cruise on Silversea & will not hesitate to go back to Coral Reef. A tip and my own personal opinion, you can book on MAP (dinner bed & bfast rate) at the Coral Reef & still choose to dine at the sister hotel The Sandpiper a more intimate restaurant and I feel has a slight edge on both food & service compared to the Coral Reef. they do book up very quickly so an early booking is always preferable.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Dear Richard,

Thank You for taking the time to reply. I will go ahead and check room rates and availability. I will also look at the Sandpiper for dining. It would be great to see both properties.

I could never just fly straight home, especially after leaving Spirit which is so difficult in itself. At least if you have a few extra nights to look forward to, it makes the departure easier!

Best Wishes for your next trip and thanks again for the invaluable advice.

regards

Ingrid

Hi Jolly Jones,

Thanks for that. I have heard that The Cliff is Spectacular. Have all tables got a view?

Have you any other not to be missed tips please?

anything at all would be great.

regards

Ingrid

There's photos on their website - http://www.thecliffbarbados.com/CR/Public/default.asp - the tables are outside, I think they all have a view.

I can't help you very much with Barbados, it's not my favourite island so I don't go there so much, altho' I will be there for two days before embarking on the Spirit in April. I'll just be doing cheap and cheerful then, staying at the Dover Beach Hotel near the St Lawrence Gap.

A few thoughts:

Bridgetown's not worth the effort.

The best beaches are up the west coast.

The best nightlife is at St Lawrence Gap on the south coast.

If you have the time, it's worth the drive past The Crane and up the east coast to Bathsheba, even all the way up to see the caves at North Point. You'll see a very different island from the 'prime' tourist areas.

Mango's by the Sea in Speightstown http://www.diningwithus.net/mangos/ used to be a fun restaurant, haven't been there in a while, might be worth trying.

PS Wherever you drive, just accept that you will get lost - the signage is hopeless, the local's directions even more so - but you'll get where you're going eventually, it's not that large an island.

JollyJones

Thank you so much for such detailed advice. Checked out Mangos

Restaurant and it looks fabulous, great cocktail list

Too! We will definitely try it for dinner.

If we stay 3 nights post cruise I will take your

Advice and drive to Crane beach, getting there is

All part of the adventure. Much appreciated.

Regards

Ingrid

• 2 weeks later...

I have been staying in Barbados since 1970 and including rentals I would guess I have probably stayed there for a total of six months. Most of the good West Coast hotels are lovely. I would recommend you look at a site like "Luxury Link" to see if they have specials and see what tripadvisor.com and the NY Times have to say.

I would not recommend Sandy Lane. As I recall a non-ocean view room is at least $1,300 shoulder season plus meals are extra and equally pricey. The rooms are lovely, but not worth the price. The food is the same as one would get at any good West Coast hotel. The hotel was totally renovated and then totally destroyed when a rare hurricane hit Barbados. The British company who owned it redid the whole property and decided that they would make it work by making it the most expensive resort in the Caribbean. It attracts a lot of people who want to go to the most expensive place. My American and British friends who winter in Barbados pronounce the place populated with vulgar guests and overpriced, and decry the loss of the old Sandy Lane that was much more low key.

Sandy Lane is actually Irish owned.

It has black out dates and also has a minimum stay requirement during

the Easter period when I will be there.

I'm currently considering Royal Westmoreland. It's not directly on the beach

But the villas have their own private pools and are roughly £800.00

Per night and some come with golf buggies.

Archived