How far are you willing to drive?

MikeandAmy

Ok the wife and I are looking at the EPIC in late February or early March, has some great last minute prices. But the airfare is almost $500.00 person, so if we drive to Miami its 12 hours each way.... Would you do it???? :confused:

We are driving exactly that distance to Miami in two weeks!!! Not looking forward to the drive but cruising is worth it!

We always fly. That long drive after being on vacation for a week or more would just suck. We won't drive more then 3 hours to get the airport either. Our friends drove to Tampa for our last cruise and we flew from Pittsburgh, we left home at 4 am and arrived in Tampa at 930 same day of cruise. they left on Saturday afternoon and didn't arrive in Tampa til 1pm on Sunday. We only payed 50 bucks more then they did. So we always fly

I kept watching the airfare for our last trip and caught it when it was $112 round trip P/P. It had been sitting in the $450 range for the longest time.

We have a full sized SUV that gets a sweet 15MPG on the highway so a 12 hour drive one way plus parking we would come out ahead just to fly especially since gas is going up and up.

Of course we have discussed this at length as we are planning to take the family on an upcoming trip. We have 3 ports that are around the 8 hour mark and if you multiply the cost of the flight times 8 people, then we get a better value if we were to drive.

Basically, it all depends on your actual costs and the time you have.

We were prepared to drive from Kansas City area to NOLA in a few weeks, but then DH took a bump on a flight for work, got a $400 voucher and we are now flying :) We still have to drive to Wichita (3 hours away) to catch those flights, but that was better for us than driving the 10+ hours in 2 days. Some families find it totally worth it to drive, although I agree that after all costs are factored in it isn't that big of a price difference. It varies for some on money out of pocket up front (airline tickets) vs. along the way (gas, food, lodging).

My BIL and SIL are driving from Michigan to NOLA to join us. They will stay in budget hotel somewhere halfway, and they are planing for an additional 3-4 days off of work. They are also meeting up with grandparents for a day or two prior to boarding the boat. Their jobs allow for more flexibility, as does their children's schooling and ages. I'm a teacher, so my vacation weeks during the school year are very defined. Others can take additional days and it's not a problem. Driving was their only option I believe, since flights were stinking ridiculous from Detroit since they were flying to a warm weather destination.

Ok the wife and I are looking at the EPIC in late February or early March, has some great last minute prices. But the airfare is almost $500.00 person, so if we drive to Miami its 12 hours each way.... Would you do it???? :confused:

what's the big deal ? unless u have to drive through a severe snow storm or similar ...

just put ur mind to it and make it a fun adventure -

I grandma, drive 54 hours solo from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada (with 3 Newfoundland dogs) to Ft Myers, Florida -

nothing to write home about - and just a little further than the local grocery store -

................ make it FUN :D

Star trip to

Maybe you could wait for the Epic until Jan 12, 2013 and sail with us. :p

Seriously, if you have the time, it is not a bad drive! I hope you guys can do it. Make sure to check out all the budget lines. Please say hi to Amy for me!!

Hey stranger!! Are you in a suite on that one also? We are on the Pearl in November.... It was the Jewel but then they went and switched ships!

It's about 7 hours to Miami for us.. we made the drive on our honeymoon. The drive to Miami went by in a flash, but the drive back was hell on wheels. We are discussing making the drive for a 2013 cruise. We could do Port Canaveral, as it's only 3 hours away, but are much more excited about cruising on the Epic. Reading how far everyone else drives makes this seem like not that big of a deal. Thanks, y'all. ;)

Hey stranger!! Are you in a suite on that one also? We are on the Pearl in November.... It was the Jewel but then they went and switched ships!

Yes, we are in an Aft suite on the Epic. I love the Pearl, I hope you two have a blast!!:D

Archived