Contemplating booking a cruise, ?'s

First off I would like to introduce myself as I am new to the board. I am also new to the whole cruise process as I have never been on a cruise before. I do however have a few question and concerns.

First concern I have, which I'm hoping someone can chime in to clarify, I am fairly receptive to allergies and or what triggers my allergies. For some reason exhaust smell (either diesel or gas) bothers me quite a bit. When your on a cruise, especially on the deck, is the exhaust smell strong?

Second concern I have, Pets. Cats and dogs kick them my allergies up like a bull on a dirt road. As there usually alot of pets people bring on board??

Thank you everyone! :)

Welcome to CC! I have been on 8 cruises and never noticed an exhaust smell (except for around the pier around smaller boats when getting off at different ports) or pets on board. Be careful - you may become addicted to cruising!

WalkThaFreekinPlank,

We've never had a problem with the exhaust that comes from the funnel. I suppose if you're behind the funnel and the wind is just right you might be able to smell it. If that happens just move up-wind of it! :)

The only pets allowed on-board are service animals. We've been on 4 cruises and have never seen an animal on the ship.

Take the plunge, book a short cruise to start with and see how things go. Good luck!

First off I would like to introduce myself as I am new to the board. I am also new to the whole cruise process as I have never been on a cruise before. I do however have a few question and concerns.

First concern I have, which I'm hoping someone can chime in to clarify, I am fairly receptive to allergies and or what triggers my allergies. For some reason exhaust smell (either diesel or gas) bothers me quite a bit. When your on a cruise, especially on the deck, is the exhaust smell strong?

Second concern I have, Pets. Cats and dogs kick them my allergies up like a bull on a dirt road. As there usually alot of pets people bring on board??

Thank you everyone! :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic and welcome to our amazing addiction!!!

First, don't worry about exhaust from the ship's engines. The purpose of the design of the funnel (the thing that the exhaust gasses are routed through...) is to keep soot and fumes away from the open decks. Only once can I recall any smell of fumes and that was at very low speed entering a port.

Only rarely will you see an animal onboard... only certified service animals are permitted to board with the guests so no worries there for your allergies.

I live in San Antonio and have the devil's own time with my allergies to cedar, etc nearly year round. Getting on board a ship and out to sea is wonderful relief for me!!!

:)

If you are up on deck you may get an occasional whiff of exhaust, but as another person advised, just move upwind. No pets will be on board.

Just go ahead and book one! I was very cautious at first, but after the first one I was totally hooked.

Welcome to CC! I have been on 8 cruises and never noticed an exhaust smell (except for around the pier around smaller boats when getting off at different ports) or pets on board. Be careful - you may become addicted to cruising!

Just a bit of exhaust smell doesn't bother me that much. I should be ok then. Thanks for the info! Trust me, we are very excited about our first cruise.

Another question I have, I have heard (pretty sure it's false) that on some cruise lines they have a pier just for salt water fishing.

Ditto what others have said. I just wanted to say, THANK YOU for doing your research ahead of time! It absolutely amazes me the number of people who will spend their hard earned vacation dollars and never do one minute of research. You are going to have an awesome time! Why? Because you'll be prepared! As Mach said, welcome to the addiction :D

Just a bit of exhaust smell doesn't bother me that much. I should be ok then. Thanks for the info! Trust me, we are very excited about our first cruise.

Another question I have, I have heard (pretty sure it's false) that on some cruise lines they have a pier just for salt water fishing.

Ummmm... nope... no pier attached to the ship for fishing. You'll be at about 25 mph... that's a heck of a high trolling speed!!!

:)

Ditto what others have said. I just wanted to say, THANK YOU for doing your research ahead of time! It absolutely amazes me the number of people who will spend their hard earned vacation dollars and never do one minute of research. You are going to have an awesome time! Why? Because you'll be prepared! As Mach said, welcome to the addiction :D

Lol, I have been burned in the past from not asking question or researching things first. Last year we took a trip to Egypt but never thought about not bringing enough clothes with us, as we usually just buy some more if needed, but good luck in Egypt unless you wanna walk around in a table cloth.

I assume you are referring to fishing off of the boat? There may be some small charter type lines that have this but not your mainstream cruise lines. Many ports have excursions with various types of fishing, however. I know there are some ports where you can fish near where the boat docks also. I am not a fisherman but if you will clarify what you are looking for, I'm sure someone here who is will answer your questions

Lol, I have been burned in the past from not asking question or researching things first. Last year we took a trip to Egypt but never thought about not bringing enough clothes with us, as we usually just buy some more if needed, but good luck in Egypt unless you wanna walk around in a table cloth.

That's hilarious! :D

cmon really a Table Cloth, hahaha. I guess you didnt have a ball cap either you just had to wear a towel. j/k

cmon really a Table Cloth, hahaha. I guess you didnt have a ball cap either you just had to wear a towel. j/k

Lol, well I might have been a bit incorrect by reffering to table cloth, but I don't want the sun to hit it just right to expose my goods. If I did have to wear a towel up there I would have painted it orange and drawn a white longhorn on the front.

Im not sure what itinerary you're looking at, but when my dad & sis did western Caribbean they brought 2 fishing poles from home and when they arrived at each port dad simply got in a cab and asked them to take them to where the fish were biting. He spent $50 tops on the whole trip just driving around with the locals and fishing :)

Im not sure what itinerary you're looking at, but when my dad & sis did western Caribbean they brought 2 fishing poles from home and when they arrived at each port dad simply got in a cab and asked them to take them to where the fish were biting. He spent $50 tops on the whole trip just driving around with the locals and fishing :)

Now thats what I'm talking about! I never thought about that, wasn't sure how strict fishing was @ the ports. Would be nice to bring a portable grill and cook some fish.

Archived