Concerned...

Katar

My DW, DD (2yo), and I are booked on NCL Star to Bermuda on May 13, 2012. This being our 8th cruise, we have cruised twice with our DD: First time when she was 7 months old, which went rather smoothly (she was still stroller bound), and the 2nd time when she was 20 months. Our cruise number 2 did not go so well... She is a very active child and quite literally wore us out. We even had to take turns to go to meals. Don't get me wrong - I am not complaining but not particularily looking forward to experience this again either :p

So here is a million dollar question: DD turned 2 in January. She is still active but in a more controlled way. She is very outgoing and fairly independent (i. e. playing with other kids at the playground) but not used to being away from her mommy. Most importantly, we rarely speak English around the house and the only exposure to English language she gets is from watching cartoons like Dora the Explorer, Mickey’s Clubhouse, Barney, etc., so there may be a bit of a language barrier. However, this may not mean the same for a 2yo as it does for an older person. All we want is to have her at the Kids Club for 1 or 2 hours in the afternoon and again in the evening so that we can enjoy a meal at the MDR or a specialty restaurant. I realize that each child is different and there is no simple answer to this but do you think she will be OK at the Kids Club? To be honest, I am not tremendously bothered that DW and I will not be able to eat together. My main concern is that DD will not like being "on her own" and will get scared. Are there any other parents here who faced a similar dilemma? How did it go for you?

I think she'll be fine...but the only way to know for certain is to try it! If she enjoys it, then keep it up. If she doesn't...oh, well!

The staff in the kid's club is well-trained....they really know how to engage the kids...pretty soon, she'll forget all about you and want to have fun!

Just try it! If she doesn't do well this time, try again in a year...there's a marked improvement as kids age!

I have twins that are currently 9, that have been cruising since they were around 4 yrs old. Yes slightly older than yours, however I have 1 that I still face the hurdle of leaving her at the camps. Even before we go now, she says " I'm not going to any camps". What you need to do, for your own piece of mind and enjoyment, is just take her to the camps at the times you need. Yes she will probably cry and fuss and make you feel terrible and break your heart. BUT by the time you are at the elevators she has already forgotten you and is having a blast. The crew are amazing with children of all ages. In the off chance that she doesn't settle they will notify you, and you can try again the next day. It will do her a world of good, to be away from you for a little while and have her interact with other children. Give it a try you maybe very surprised!

Well, there isn't too much point in worrying about it unless you're thinking to cancel before final payment. :D

We have a similar situation:

• at 7 months the cruise was a piece of cake
  • at 13 months they (twins) ran us ragged
  • at 2YO (24 months and a week) they were more controlled but still ran us around a bit... but we didn't have to worry so much about they falling down stairs or off a chair since they are much more physically adept

However, DS wouldn't go to camp. He went for a hour on day 1 with but then something happened and he refused to go back. That somewhat ruined our plans to have some alone time, but we still had a great cruise. We're going again in May, when they'll be just over 2-1/2. I mean, a bad day on a cruise ship is better than a good day at work anytime, right? ;)

That said, I'm curious why you think you can't eat together? With a 2YO it should be no problem to have a sit down dinner in the MDR most of the time. (If they don't have a nap, probably not, but that is within your control for the most part.) At 13MO we did pretty well also, but ate in the buffet a couple of nights. At 7MO, we ate in the buffet... they just didn't have the patience to make it through an hour+ of dinner right at their normal bedtime.

As far as language: if you live in an English speaking country, I'd think that would be more of a problem at home. The ship's staff is from all over the world, as well as the passengers in many cases. Even the kids staff may have Europeans who speak English well, but as a second language. In any case, all 2YOs speak "play" and "fun". :D

Is DD currently at home with either you or DW during the day or is she in any type of daycare/babysitter now? My DD will be almost 3 when we go on the Dawn in May, but she is with a babysitter a couple days during the week as DH and I both work full time (the other days she is with family). I also put her in a "kids club" at my local gym when I go work out. If there is anyway you can put her in a "club" or play area that is supervised before the cruise just to see how she deals with it.

We also plan to put our DD in the kids club while on the cruise so we can have some alone time. She may cry at first, but give it a try - she may very well just love it and burn off some of the "toddler" energy! Good luck!

Archived