How do they check your luggage if its locked?

kjdcruiser

X-ray!

Cokes and water are no problem. Carnival, for instance, allows a 'reasonable amount' to be brought on board. You can take them in your carry-on or checked luggage. Liquor...? Sometimes it's confiscated, sometimes not. Good luck.

The airlines will cut the locks on your bags, open them and reseal with a plastic tie. Then they put a label on the bag telling you they opened it. We flew with a roll of quarters in our bag and they opened it to look at them.

Remember to carry all your valuables with you. We had reports on our last cruise that someone at the airlines stole a camera and other equiptment from someones bag. The person thought it happened in Florida. They received no compensation. Carla

If you have TSA approved locks the TSA will not cut the locks. All US airports have the keys to them while you set the combination. They then put a sticker on your tags to show they've been opened. I just got back from a cruise and TSA opened every piece of luggage with the TSA locks. If the cruise lines want to really know what is in the luggage, they do page people to have them come down and open their luggage. They will have YOU open it if there is something very suspicious.

On our honeymoon cruise, we bought a Mayan style craft from a local shop, and we packed it --- wrapped in newspaper --- in our suitcases. We checked our bags at MIA for our flight back to EWR, and halfway to our gate, we got an announcement over the airports PA system to go to the TSA office...the security people asked that we open our suitcase and unwrap this craft. Once they saw what it was, all was well, but as an earlier poster said, if TSA wants to search, they will find a way to do so.

Mike & Silke

If you have TSA approved locks the TSA will not cut the locks. All US airports have the keys to them.

BooBoo - Obviously, you haven't heard all the tales of woe from many, many travelers who bought those TSA locks.

Most of them report that either:

1)nobody knew where "the key" was, or

2)nobody took the time to go get the key.

Result - cut locks.:o

Perhaps the original poster was asking how the cruise lines can take alcohol out of your locked suitcase at the pier.

Easy answer. They don't. But in nearly every American port today, ALL suitcases must be x-rayed before they go onboard (that's one of the reasons why it now takes so long to get your bags to your cabin).

If something resembling a bottle of alcohol is spotted by the x-ray people, they hold the bag on the pier for several hours, then call you out to the pier to unlock the suitcase and show them what is inside. If it is alcohol, they let you take it out and then they confiscate it.

The TSA is of the opinion that a bottle of liquid could be alcohol - or it could be an explosive. It could also be something seemingly as innocent as high-proof alcohol, like Bacardi 151. On most cruise lines today, Bacardi 151 is forbidden, due to it's explosive and highly flammable properties.

Lock your luggage before you give it to the porter. Cruiselines will not cut your locks. THey are not looking for smuggled alcohol in your checked luggage. If there is a problem with your bag they will call you to the pursers desk and open it with you.

If you have TSA approved locks the TSA will not cut the locks. All US airports have the keys to them.

BooBoo - Obviously, you haven't heard all the tales of woe from many, many travelers who bought those TSA locks.

Most of them report that either:

1)nobody knew where "the key" was, or

2)nobody took the time to go get the key.

Result - cut locks.:o

Actually, I found that every time I had a regular lock on my suitcases, they were cut (five locks in five trips) - as if TSA thought that I was trying to hide something from them, so they wanted to open it just to see what's in there. Once I got the TSA-approved locks, they have never been opened. Keep in mind that I got the special locks that change color from green to red if it was opened with the TSA key. I suspect that when the TSA sees a TSA lock they take it that you are locking other people out but are more cooperative with them, so they expect you aren't hiding anything from them.

Actually, I found that every time I had a regular lock on my suitcases, they were cut (five locks in five trips) - as if TSA thought that I was trying to hide something from them, so they wanted to open it just to see what's in there. Once I got the TSA-approved locks, they have never been opened. Keep in mind that I got the special locks that change color from green to red if it was opened with the TSA key. I suspect that when the TSA sees a TSA lock they take it that you are locking other people out but are more cooperative with them, so they expect you aren't hiding anything from them.

Also, many of the TSA approved locks come with a guarantee that if they are cut off, you can send them in for a free replacement.

Quick question- I was just wondering how security checks your luggage if it is locked? I am trying to get onboard with cokes, water and liquor. Any suggestions for packing this properly would be helpful. Thanks.

They break the locks then seal them with plastic clips

If you're not carrying an extreme amount of liquor, just pack it in your carry on luggage. To be really safe (or devious) pour it into a suitable soft-drink bottle, e.g. Nestea for bourbon, Sprite for gin or vodka. I've never had a problem with this. Just don't leave the bottles lying around: my teenage daughter once took a swig of "iced tea" in our cabin and learned the hard way to ask before drinking!

We are taking Wild Turkey with us. I bought the Equate brand of listerine, looks almost exactly the same. We are packing it in our luggage with towels wrapped around it. Since I read a post where the cruise line made someone open the suitcase so they could look at the bottle................I have even decided to keep the saftey plastic and use a small piece of packing tape to put it back on so it looks like its still sealed. Just an idea for you :) We are a family of 5, so I am all about cutting costs where I can!!:)

Hello , due to this thread, we purchased those locks.. and the great thing was we were clothing shopping in a walkabout mall.. and saw a Samsonite store.. stopped in and in the Clearance rack were these locks!! the ones that change color so we bought the two .. and found out they were there by accident ..we paid $2.49 ea.. yippee. and now to find out that they will be replaced if cut. major kudos. Thank you all for this thread and the info I have learned..

And right now Samsonite is having a sale. I surely do hope you are lucky and get these little "gems"!! tsa30blkbe01.jpg nixel.gifnixel.gifTravel Accessories

Travel Sentry "Indicator" Combination Locknixel.gifSummary of Features:

• Combination locks

Price : $10.95

< we also bought luggage "tags" that were metal and had a button on bottom . you pushed in and out came your info. and it was on metal ring.. also on sale. for that low price of $2.49!!. >sm2627slbe02.jpgnixel.gifnixel.gifdetail 1 Our Price :$5.95sm2627slbe01.jpg nixel.gifhttp://www.samsonitecompanystores.com/webapp/scs/servlet/SItemDisplay?productId=145104&storeId=10151&langId=-1&keyword=tags&pc=

Really neato things at a Samsonite store.. Looking to see what other great ideas you wonderful people come up with. Have an awesome day!

Archived