Best excursion for May temps?

chauncy's wife

I am so sick of researching all these ports. I live on these boards & really need to get my life back...lol. Belize seems to be the hardest port to decide on & would like opinions from those who have been in Belize in May. I had planned on doing the ruins until I read a many reviews on how hot & humid it was in May. I live in Georgia & if I want swelting heat, I'll go outside. So the ruins are out. I was planning on snorkeling but have read so many reviews about how all the reefs are dead & how you wait around forever while tours recruit more customers for the tour. I don't want to spend hours waiting plus hours of boat riding just to be rushed through a snorkeling excursion that only lasts 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. So I am now thinking of cave tubing + ATV but I just read a review where someone talked about the trek to get to the caves plus the low water levels. I know I can't have it all and realize I chose the time of year to go. I don't mind a little heat but when you combine it with hiking through a jungle w/ bugs and toting a tube, I don't think I would enjoy myself. Has anyone been in May where you booked an excursion & wasn't uncomfortable in the heat & if so what excursion was it? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Let me suggest that you look up the web site for Coral Breeze Tours & look at their snorkeling tour that we do two times each year with a local lunch on Caye Caulker.

As to the wait for this tour to leave, we get on the first or second tender, arrive in the TV & check in with Henni & have time enough to visit the Pharmacy & return & the group is about ready to leave.

We find it a fun & entertaining tour & trip on to Caye Caulker.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

My review may have been the one you read regarding the heat and humidity in Belize in May. Yes, the hike to Lamanai was way too hot for me. We did not see monkeys, which I was looking forward to see because it was too hot for them to be out!:eek: It was 100 degrees and humid and the hike through the jungle was stifling.

However, I must add that I did that tour while my DH did the cave tubing tour. He really enjoyed it and was not too hot at all. I would not enjoy carrying a tube though the jungle no matter what the temp, but I am not in the best of shape, which is one reason I was so bothered by the heat.

I am also considering what to do in Belize as we will be returning next May, although a couple of weeks earlier. I am looking at the Alta Ha/River Cruise tour as the ruins are not as long of a hike and the river cruise part of the Lamanai day was very refreshing. The only part of the day that bothered me was the hike through the jungle. We will be snorkeling at our other stops on that cruise and Belize is so well known for the ruins I would like to see another site.

BTW - the ruins at Lamanai were very interesting and I would highly recommend that tour when it is not so hot. Despite the heat it was a good tour.

We took a Carnival tour to Altun Ha. It was very enjoyable in May. It was hot and humid but the bus ride was airconditioned and informative and there were jungle breezes and shade available. I have M.S. and my sister went along who doesn't tolerate heat well. I stayed in the shade and walked around the outskirts of the ruins. My sister was able to hike to the top of the ruins. A nice jungle setting. Perhaps we were fortunate that there were breezes that day.

Archived