Children Friendly Luxury Cruise?

desjarmc

We are looking for a luxury cruise that is ''family friendly''.

My husband and I went on the Silversea, Seabourn on our own and had a fantastic time but this time around we want to bring our 7 years old daugther.

Any suggestions?

We would travel in the Summer.

p.s doing the Disney Cruise this year and looking for something more upscale BUT family friendly for next year.

Thank you in advance.

We took an Antarctic cruise on the L'Austral in December (before the holidays) that had 5 children (4 as part of an extended family from South Africa) aboard. The South African kids (perhaps 6-13?) all hung together and were the hit of the cruise with the crew and passengers. There were 2 Wii areas aboard - one in the main lounge and another in a small children's lounge - and they certainly enjoyed it. They also put together a musical act for the end of the cruise and got a standing ovation. I am sure there were other diversions, but the main attraction were the landings and zodiac cruises.

Did they have an extensive children's program, no - but you would not expect one in that small a ship and in that destination. Perhaps smaller is sometimes better than being on a much larger ship with more extensive facilities.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike2121: I agree with you on that particular cruise. Antartica is port intensive and is a great place for families. What I was trying to politely say when I referred to smaller ships is that passengers on some luxury cruise lines really do not want children on the ship -- at any time. And, if children appear on ships when school is in session, many passengers are not happy (myself included) because we take take great care to sail when school is in session. We are not child haters -- in fact, most of us have raised our children which is why we now prefer vacationing in peace and quiet.

Mike2121: I agree with you on that particular cruise. Antartica is port intensive and is a great place for families. What I was trying to politely say when I referred to smaller ships is that passengers on some luxury cruise lines really do not want children on the ship -- at any time. And, if children appear on ships when school is in session, many passengers are not happy (myself included) because we take take great care to sail when school is in session. We are not child haters -- in fact, most of us have raised our children which is why we now prefer vacationing in peace and quiet.

Neither I nor my DGF have children and also choose to sail when school is in session. It has always proven to be the best choice for us. We have loved some of the larger ships we sailed on (like the Solstice), but our first cruise on the PA II changed everything for us. It was like we found our home.

The children on the L'Austral cruise were surprising not just because of their presence, but they were an even bigger surprise because they were such a pleasure. The youngest girl, Beatrice, was a little blond doll and succeeded in capturing the heart of both the Cruise Director and the Captain. The 2 sets of parents and the other 3 children (the South African extended family) were wonderful people as were most of the passengers.

I think that is what we love most about about expedition cruising - a very international group of passengers with a single focus - the destination with its unique wildlife, scenery, history, etc.

We've sailed four times with Crystal, twice during holidays and twice over the summer to Alaska. They are not doing the Alaska trips for at least 2 years. Our son was 8 on his first cruise and he loved it. Crystal may not have the facilities of a Disney ship, but the have truly well trained staff to take care of the kids. We only saw ours at meal time and when we went ashore. They have dance lessons, games sessions, movie nights, talent shows, cooking lessons in the ships galley and tours of the bridge. They eat dinner together a couple of nights during the trip. Our son is now a teenager, and he loved the teen activities he attended over the summer on our trip to Alaska. They started later, and ended later. It was so cute to see the kids having tea together in the Palm Court.

Archived