Back from Sojourn Valparaso to Fort Lauderdale

stray

Just had to write a quick note about our second Seabourn cruise. It was fabulous. The ship was immaculate, our balcony suite spacious and comfortable, and the service was the outstanding Seabourn product. Everyone was lovely; they make you feel so welcome and really part of their cruise family.

The food was the best imaginable. We live in a city where we could not buy such wonderful food in any restaurant. Everything is fresh and from scratch. Portions are controlled, but ample, and just perfectly prepared. I went on the galley tour and to both cooking classes, and decided that the chefs go to so much trouble, that it would be impossible to replicate at home. We dined at the Restaurant, Colonade, and Patio, and each was wonderful in its own way.

Our favorite shore excursion was to the Ballestas Islands. There we saw millions of sea birds, thousands of sea lions, and hundreds of Humbolt penguins. It was an experience not to be missed, like being in the middle of a National Geographic special.

As to be expected, our fellow guests were in their 50's to 80's, and mostly retired and very well traveled. Everyone we met was friendly, and we usually chose to share a table with folks we did not know, all of whom were welcoming.

All in all, a fabulous cruise.I will happily answer any questions.

stray, I am not sure if I met you on the ship but did meet Pinetop and had a lovely dinner with them. I could not agree with you more especially about the food, crew and the Ballestas Islands excursion. It was wonderful! Welcome home!

Stray,

Thanks so much for posting. We are seriously considering the reverse itinerary in Nov. It's between that & the Amazon in March ...... decisions, decisions! But at least we have Dubai to Venice to look forward to for now :-)

Please post a full trip report .....

We did the Amazon last year on the Odyssey. There is no comparison. We felt Amazon was somewhat boring. You just see a lot of water and trees, almost no animals or birds, they hide during the day. We felt Manaus was the worst port city...and no really nice place to stay. This cruise along the Pacific of South America had great variety, lots of ruins, if you are into that sort of thing, two large very different cities, and some wonderful shore excursions. This most recent cruise would win, hands down.

Stray,

Thanks so much for posting. We are seriously considering the reverse itinerary in Nov. It's between that & the Amazon in March ...... decisions, decisions! But at least we have Dubai to Venice to look forward to for now :-)

Please post a full trip report .....

We are also thinking of doing the March Amazon...Buenos Aires to Manaus. It's always been on my husband's bucket list and I was so glad that Seabourn put this itinerary back on for next year. Many of the Amazon cruises on other lines become Caribbean intensive and although we adore the Caribbean, we really don't want to cruise there again (we wouldn't do the Manaus to Ft. Lauderdale). So nice to investigate yet another Seabourn cruise while preparing for the one we're on in 5 weeks!

Frankly, a cruise up the amazon should not be done on any cruise ship. They are all too large to get into the narrow and indigenous areas of the river where most of the wildlife is. You need to be on a very small vessel in order to do that.

Frankly, a cruise up the amazon should not be done on any cruise ship. They are all too large to get into the narrow and indigenous areas of the river where most of the wildlife is. You need to be on a very small vessel in order to do that.

No doubt you are correct about this. We looked at some of the other companies that do the small boats. However, we decided that if it's going to be done, Seabourn is the way we're going to go.

Stray,

Did you stay over in Valparaiso or Santiago? How did you tranfer from ship to airport? I have read that the transfer is c100$.

We would be doing the reverse itinerary and wonder if a stopover is worthwhile?

Did you visit the Ballestas Islands on a Seabourn excursion or independently? Did you go to Machu Pichu?

Sorry .... but you did say you'd take questions ;-)

From your comments and others, it looks like the Peru to Ft Lauderdale is coming out on top!

Thank you!

Ailmarsh

We stayed in Santiago for three days, which was a decent amount of time after the trip on Avianca to South America. We stayed at the Aubrey Boutique Hotel, which was pleasant, but not in the best neighborhood for exploring. One excursion we loved, which we booked through our hotel, was the white wine valley tour. The wineries we visited were each different, and thoroughly enjoyable and lovely.

We transferred from the hotel to the ship by private van and driver. The cost was $250, which we split with another couple, also going on the cruise.

We did the Ballestas on a ship's tour, and loved every minute of it. Do not miss it!!

We did not go to Machu Pichu. It is a rough trip, and since we were paying for those three days on the Sojourn.....well, we wanted to enjoy them. I heard one woman, who went on the trip, say a very funny thing.

After all the travel (trains, planes, etc.), and they finally got there, they were surrounded by souvenier huts, just like everywhere else. Some people did it on there own, for less than $9,000, but probably not as upscale.

I am still delighted to answer questions. Doing so, brings back great memories.

We stayed in Santiago for three days, which was a decent amount of time after the trip on Avianca to South America. We stayed at the Aubrey Boutique Hotel, which was pleasant, but not in the best neighborhood for exploring. One excursion we loved, which we booked through our hotel, was the white wine valley tour. The wineries we visited were each different, and thoroughly enjoyable and lovely.

We transferred from the hotel to the ship by private van and driver. The cost was $250, which we split with another couple, also going on the cruise.

We did the Ballestas on a ship's tour, and loved every minute of it. Do not miss it!!

We did not go to Machu Pichu. It is a rough trip, and since we were paying for those three days on the Sojourn.....well, we wanted to enjoy them. I heard one woman, who went on the trip, say a very funny thing.

After all the travel (trains, planes, etc.), and they finally got there, they were surrounded by souvenier huts, just like everywhere else. Some people did it on there own, for less than $9,000, but probably not as upscale.

I am still delighted to answer questions. Doing so, brings back great memories.

Sorry but Machu Picchu is not to be missed. As you say, it is not worth it doing as part of the cruise since you are already paying for your suite on the ship and I don't see the sense in paying double so we have always done these type of excursions on our own, either pre, or post cruise.

It sounds like your fellow guest never left the train station because there are a lot of tourist orientated stalls around it. Once you get up to Machu Picchu itself however there are no stalls whatsoever; it is a peaceful, magical experience that you will remember forever.

Orient Express has a great package including a night at the Sanctuary Lodge and their staff are right up there with the three luxury lines, maybe even a tad better, but they do expect gratuities.

Thanks Stray!

We are thinking of stopping over in both Valparaiso & Santiago before flying home so appreciate your comments on the Aubrey.

Also, altho' I understand that Machu Pichu is awesome, we would not visit from a Seabourn cruise.

Really hoping you will write a detailed trip report :-)

Archived