NCL comfort policy

EuropeNow

Hello to all,

What would be NCL policy on my level of comfort if after spending one night in a cabin due to noise I would like to be changed?

If there are other cabins for the same price available would they make the change?

If the available cabins are more expensive,,, I would be charge... I assume but what if the cabin available is cheaper.... would an OBC be issued?

Thanks

EN

every cruise line plans to sail with every single cabin full. Most likely there will be no where for you to move. so, if you are a light sleeper, pick your cabin carefully. Earplugs are also a good suggestion. Do not plan to be able to switch cabins...plan to like the one you select .

Or you can buy a White Noise Machine at Brookstone. Well worth the money. We take it everywhere along with an extension cord.:)

I have always wondered about that. So they do work, huh? I'll have to look into it. Which model did you buy? the $129 model?

Too bad they aren't CruiseCritic compatible...hehehehe...:eek:

Hello to all,

What would be NCL policy on my level of comfort if after spending one night in a cabin due to noise I would like to be changed?

If there are other cabins for the same price available would they make the change?

If the available cabins are more expensive,,, I would be charge... I assume but what if the cabin available is cheaper.... would an OBC be issued?

Thanks

EN

Most ships sail full. I doubt they would be able to accommodate you. Once, the bathtub leaked all over our cabin floor and our family of four could only be switched to two different inside cabins on two different decks and at opposite ends of the ship. There was nothing else available. We were in a mini suite. I second the ear plugs.

Doesnt ncl try to upgrade all higher class room.. so if any rooms are left its the lower class inside rooms? Changes are there wont be any room to move to.. plus even if you downgraded rooms i doubt ncl or any cruiseline would offer you any kind of OBC

I have a combination clock, alarm, white noise machine that in addition to plugging in, runs for many nights on just two batteries. However, now that I have an iPhone, I've downloaded a white noise app that works just as well. And....I do take some good ear plugs, same type I use on a motorcycle. The few noisy rooms we've experienced, the noise was isolated to specific times for the most part. Best bet is to research carefully what rooms are most affected by noise. Usually, a deck of cabins between two other decks of cabins is going to be quite.

I have always wondered about that. So they do work, huh? I'll have to look into it. Which model did you buy? the $129 model?

Too bad they aren't CruiseCritic compatible...hehehehe...:eek:

Yes it is somewhere between 129 and 135 ..it has about 15 choices. Just the white noise though is ample. I'd go to a store and test it out. Make sure it has a volume. Same as sleeping in a balcony with the door open :)

I have a combination clock, alarm, white noise machine that in addition to plugging in, runs for many nights on just two batteries. However, now that I have an iPhone, I've downloaded a white noise app that works just as well. And....I do take some good ear plugs, same type I use on a motorcycle. The few noisy rooms we've experienced, the noise was isolated to specific times for the most part. Best bet is to research carefully what rooms are most affected by noise. Usually, a deck of cabins between two other decks of cabins is going to be quite.

These work great with any smartphone, Android or Iphone. I used to travel a lot and I have an app on my phone that has lots of different masking sounds. I brought along some little collapsible speakers that charge over usb and last about 3 nights per charge. This setup got me through many nights of noisy hotel rooms.

Those darn honeymooners! :D

We had this problem on our honeymoon - we were next to a room of teenagers, whose parents were somewhere else on the ship. About 2/3 am every morning, presumably when the club closed, it got INCREDIBLY noisy. Apparently every other teen on the ship was hanging out in this room till 4 AM or later.

One time we called the front desk and said it sounds like there are 10 people over there... and security came up and confirmed it was actually 12. We never asked to be moved. However, partly through the cruise a family disembarked due to being seasick. They offered to let us move rooms (I think we must have had to call the front desk a few different nights). We did take them up on it.

I think typically the ship is pretty full but they'd move you if you had a legitimate gripe. Something like, being below the galley or hearing pool chairs move, or being below/above the nightclub, I'd doubt they'd let you move. Those types of rooms you can predict the noise prior to selecting the room. Ours, not so much...

Hello to all,

Thanks EN

Are you telling us that by looking at the deck plans right now you believe your cabin will be loud? If so, make the switch now.

Ear plugs do not work for me. White noise is better. I'm a light sleeper, and thumps and chairs dragged across the pool or buffet area at 4 a.m. have me up!

The only cabins with noise that we've had have been deck 11 mini suites on the Pearl. We had two different locations and both had their own type of noise from deck 12 activities above. I've "scientifically" selected yet another location for our next decl 11 mini, this time on the Jewel. I think I'm zeroing in on the best "under deck 12" spot finally. Our balcony cabins on the various ships have never been noisy...but always on a floor with just other cabins above and below us.

I have a slightly different view from everyone who posted and a frankly different experience. While the ship may be defined as full there are almost always a few empty cabins from no shows or upgrades or cabins that haven't sold. The chances however that they will move you because of a slightly noisy cabin is very small. They hold the rooms for much more emergency reasons(a leak a flood a non working bathroom etc). I was moved once bu NCL after we complained that the person next door was smoking cigars in the room and it seeped into our room and it made our cabin unlivable(verified by our steward)...and they upgraded us and moved everything.

We had a room on the POA that had a horrible high pitched mechanical whine or squeal. It is hard to describe how loud it was, we could hardly hear each other speak. I ended up in the middle of the night at the front desk, in my pajamas begging to be moved to another room. I was told the ship was full and given some ear plugs. We tried to make the best of it.

The next night the same guy from the front desk called and said someone had become ill and left the ship. They moved us to that room. Ahhhh, silence! I was very nice when I first complained, ( or as nice as I could be in the middle of the night, in my pajamas and my glasses). Not sure if that is why they were willing to help us when that room opened up.

My impression is that was an ongoing problem for that particular room so they knew exactly what I was talking about.

All you can do is ask, but I plan on being prepared with ear plugs next time!

Hello to all,

Reminds me of our first cruise on NCL in 1992. We were on our honeymoon and they had a reception for all the honeymooners on the ship. They jokingly made a comment about how "did y'all notice you were all in the center of the ship on different decks"? This is so the noise and rocking are confined to one area.......what a way to start a cruise. As for the noise? They told us that the gift shop sold ear plugs if we needed them.

I'm not sure if the gift shop / toiletries area still sells them or not, but worth looking into.

The only cabins with noise that we've had have been deck 11 mini suites on the Pearl. We had two different locations and both had their own type of noise from deck 12 activities above. I've "scientifically" selected yet another location for our next decl 11 mini, this time on the Jewel. I think I'm zeroing in on the best "under deck 12" spot finally. Our balcony cabins on the various ships have never been noisy...but always on a floor with just other cabins above and below us.

Just curious ...where do you think the issue on deck 11 is? I have a deck 11 mini suite on the Jewel. We are midship cabin 11014. Hope its not too noisy ...

Archived