Star Princess denied entry to Ushuaia over Falklands dispute

Scrapchick

We had Argentina sourced beef on our recent Star Princess cruise and I for one found it very delicious. I had given up on beef while cruising because it was tougher than shoe leather and hard to get it cooked to my liking since it has to be done in mass cooking. (Beef that starts in the kitchen as medium keeps cooking while it delivered and can go past rare or medium to tooooo done!).

What you are tasting is the taste of beef that is raised and finished on the grass of the plains while the beef you are used to is more grain fed and often supplements in the grain for quick weight gain. Leaner beef also because the cows move around like they are supposed to and not kept in feed lots.

Locally sourced food supplies means fresher food with less preservatives and at a cheaper cost which all is good. Traveling often means temporarily adjusting your taste buds but I consider that some of the fun and adventure.

FYI. Beef usually continues to cook after taken off the heat source. This is well known by cooks, maybe not considered on all occasions. If you find it overcooked to your liking, just ask for it to be cooked at a level slightly less "cooked" than you like.

Thanks, Scrapchick, for this good information! This is a cruise I've wanted to take but will now rethink. I sailed on Star Princess to Alaska in 2003 and had a wonderful experience, but since British Sovereignty of the Falklands is not a new issue I can't help wonder how the cruise line did not know in advance of this potential problem. It seems they could and should have been able to foresee this and reverse the order of the ports, if that was the issue, or plan accordingly. After the recent Costa debacle and now reading this, I have to question the reliability of all the Carnival owned companies.

I've been most satisfied with Celebrity as a cruise line and am about to sail on Azamara for the first time in Asia. Don't know if I'll give Princess another shot, but would love to hear if you find out any further information about this situation and why the cruise line was not aware in advance. Princess has some wonderful itineraries but I'd like a bit more reassurance that the cruise line does all it can to ensure a good experience!

Many thanks and Happy Sailing!!!!

The problems with the Falklands/Malvinas have reared up recently primarily due to two things, first it is the anniversary of the war (30th I think) and second Prince William is deployed there for 3 months. So unless you are leaving soo, the season is ending and he will be long gone when the next season begins.

Thanks, Scrapchick, for this good information! This is a cruise I've wanted to take but will now rethink. I sailed on Star Princess to Alaska in 2003 and had a wonderful experience, but since British Sovereignty of the Falklands is not a new issue I can't help wonder how the cruise line did not know in advance of this potential problem. It seems they could and should have been able to foresee this and reverse the order of the ports, if that was the issue, or plan accordingly. After the recent Costa debacle and now reading this, I have to question the reliability of all the Carnival owned companies.

I've been most satisfied with Celebrity as a cruise line and am about to sail on Azamara for the first time in Asia. Don't know if I'll give Princess another shot, but would love to hear if you find out any further information about this situation and why the cruise line was not aware in advance. Princess has some wonderful itineraries but I'd like a bit more reassurance that the cruise line does all it can to ensure a good experience!

Many thanks and Happy Sailing!!!!

Changing the order of the ports would have been very difficult. To do so, they would have certainly needed to add more days on the BA to Santiago route. And please remember, these itineraries are made literally years in advance. Princess ships have doing this itinerary for many years with no problem ('cept for earthquakes and such...).

I find your remark, "After the recent Costa debacle and now reading this, I have to question the reliability of all the Carnival owned companies" to be fatuous.

Take it easy with Spinchik. This is his/her first CC post. I do think, though, that if they look at a map, they will be able to understand why it is not possible to change the order of ports.

As far as knowing in advance, that is impossible to know when it comes to protests. They can materialize within hours. Just ask Italians why they keep getting caught in the midst of railroad strikes.:p

Take it easy with Spinchik. This is his/her first CC post. I do think, though, that if they look at a map, they will be able to understand why it is not possible to change the order of ports.

As far as knowing in advance, that is impossible to know when it comes to protests. They can materialize within hours. Just ask Italians why they keep getting caught in the midst of railroad strikes.:p

I'm sorry... I didn't mean to beat up on a newbie... it is just that I find blanket statements like that to be irritating. ;) :rolleyes:

Here's the itinerary...

TI9264.gif

Archived