Mariner vs. Jewel

I need all of your expert help. My family is looking at a Jan.2,2006 6 night Western Carib. sailing on each of these ships. The prices are pretty comparable. Which ship would you choose and why? The group would consist of me, husband, two daughters (3 and 6) and my parents. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Right now its a toss up.

I could help you out with alot better information after my Sept. cruise.

I sailed on the Jewel in February on the 6 day sailing. We loved it. The ship is especially beautiful. Our group (of 58) ranged in age from 11 months to 84 years, and no one was at a loss for things to do. There was really something for everyone. We loved the size of the ship -- easy to navigate but still tons of features. The staff was exceptional, especially our dining room waiters. The ship was fully booked and yet we never felt crowded or rushed. I don't think you'd be disappointed.

That being said, we are sailing on the Mariner in Sept and are very anxious to experience a Voyager class ship that's chock full of amenities. We'll have three at-sea days (as opposed to only on of the Jewel) so we hope to have time to explore the whole ship.

I expect that either choice will be a good one for your family.

Both classes of ships are fabulous. We loved the Mariner and the Radiance. We've heard that Jewel is even nicer than Radiance.

As far as what you and your family will like, it truly depends on what you like and what your preferences are. Mariner has the Promenade and ice skating and inline skating. Radiance (Jewel too I assume) has self-leveling pool tables--totally fun. OTOH, the Radiance class is a great size, big with amenities, but not overwhelming. There will be plenty to do on either ship. Both are beautiful and fun. We thought the Mariner might be too big for us, but we loved it. Bottom line? Either one would be great. Just decide which amenities/size you prefer and consider which itinerary will suit you. Price may also be a factor; honestly, if one was several hundred dollars lower than the other, I'd go with the less expensive one.

beachchick

Check back after May 1...we sailed Mariner in May 2004 and will board Jewel in 2 days so will have a great comparison then.... I plan on doing a review.

Emmy

I have been on Jewel and Voyager (sister ship to Mairner). Voyager class ships are the best ships of RCCL in my opinion. Here are the best things from each ship that are cool!

Jewel

Indoor Pool was beautiful. Also, they served fresh crepes at the pool. You just tell them what you want and it was made on the spot.

Pool Tables were very cool and a fun place to go. However, only two so very busy.

Spa-Very nice and the Thermal suite looked cool but never used it.

Very cool rotating bar in nightclub

Voyager

Ice Skating was a blast. Something to do then Bingo

Johnny Rockets. Had this all the time while on the ship.

Promenade-fun place to go and hang out.

Roller Blading was fun but small

In a tie I always look at the ports. Some are just better routes. When I was on the Jewel we only had one sea day. It was find it was smaller ship since we were gone during the day.

My vote would be Mairner

I have done Voyager and Adventure, both Radiance class. Also Serenade.

For me, Voyager class is not my cup of tea. Too big, too many families, do not care for Promenade vs. beautiful glass atriums on Radiance Class. I felt overcrowded and overwhelmed. Not again.

Oops, too soon with the Submit key! Sorry!

I have done Voyager and Adventure, both Voyager class. Also Serenade.

For me, Voyager class is not my cup of tea. Too big, too many families, do not care for Promenade vs. beautiful glass atriums on Radiance Class. I felt overcrowded and overwhelmed. Not again.

I really enjoyed the Solarium spaces on Radiance and Vision class shios and felt that there were more intimate areas aboard.

I also found food in the main dining room better on Serenade. I dined in the alternative restaurants pretty often on Voyager and Adventure because of the food quality and service.

I had a suite on Adventure and ended up often having lunch on my balcony. The Windjammer was just too packed and too noisy and the lines long.

Just my thoughts.

Not sure how much help I can be. We sailed the Mariner on its Inaugural in November, 2004 and the Jewel on a repositioning cruise last October out of Boston. Next month we are again sailing on the Mariner and in August and October we have booked the Jewel (transatlantic and a Boston-Bermuda-Caribbean roundtrip). Clearly we enjoy both classes of ship and I don't think you will be disappointed whichever you choose. They do offer different cruise experiences, however. Voyager class ships are, IMHO, designed to draw passengers inward, There are many lounges and activities which focus your attention inside the ship. Even the concierge lounge is an interior room with no views of the ocean. The Ice Show is spectacular as is the Royal Promenade, especially the great parades. Radiance class ships lack those features but, again IMHO, compensate by offering great seaviews from throughout the ship. On neither ship did I ever feel overwhelmed by crowds and both seemed to offer plenty of activities to occupy our time. Solarium on Jewel is spectacular and the crepes were wonderful (as were the scones with whipped cream and strawberries which were available in the Windjammer in the afternoon) :)

Adventure Ocean programs seem to suit the kids very well, as we rarely encountered youngsters during our time onboard, even though there were hundreds sailing with us. Whatever your final decision (and I think I might let the itinerary or price be the deciding factors) enjoy. :)

Archived