Dock in Grand Cayman?

pinkrosesdeb

http://www.compasscayman.com/caycompass/2012/02/28/Cruise-group-pleads-for-berthing-facility/

Today's headline from the Caymanian Compass: Cruise Group Pleads for Berthing Facility

There is a LOT of support for building a berthing dock but the devil is in the details. The where and how of it have held up the project for years. Government has changed the chosen developer a couple times and nothing has even started yet.

Meanwhile the new Oasis class ships are bypassing Cayman as the cruise lines do not want to tender such large ships. Local businesses are feeling the pinch with fewer cruise ship arrivals and fewer guests. There are several prime retail spaces sitting vacant in George Town as a result of this drop off in business.

Thanks, I thought they had already started...you're right, I WON'T hold my breath. We are cruising Oasis so won't have a chance to get to Grand Cayman which is one of our favorited islands. Oh well, we enjoy just being onboard so no pressure to book a tour! Deb

While this island lives of foreign banking, those people fly in, not tender in. All crusiers do, is eat lunch(maybe) book a day tour(maybe) and sit on the beach. The islanders really do not need the ships. So why bother with a dock?

Archived