recent robbery in puerto vallarta

LADYBIRD

we have an excursion planned for the ruins in cozumel in march should we be concerned?:confused: should we stay at cozumel and not venture inland??? thanks!!

Which ruins? Tulum? or San Gervasio? San Gervasio, is on the island of Cozumel. No thugs here. Tulum is in a well travelled coastal area which tons of tourists flocking there, heavy traffic along the road, etc. No reports of drug gangs along that section of the Yucatan.

In PV, the excursion that got stopped when to an somewhat isolated jungle area for a trek through the nature park settings and was stopped on a less travelled road coming out of the park.

Go do your tour.

I agree with the posters before me. Puerto Vallarta and Cozumel are thousands of miles apart from each other, as well as separated by sea. It would be similar to worrying about traveling to Orlando when a robbery occured in Houston. Go enjoy your tour. Cancun and Riveiera Maya regions are also safe. The State Dept. travel warnings for Mexico only apply to regions along the US border and parts of the Pacific coast.

Here is the link to the US State Departments Travel Warning for Mexico: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_5665.html

This was toward the bottom of the warning:

Quintana Roo: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Riviera Maya and Tulum are the major cities/travel destinations in Quintana Roo -see map (PDF, 286 kb) to identify their exact locations: No advisory is in effect.

My only worry in Cozumel is buying gold that I'm allergic to (turns my skin green) and magnetic silver.

I spent a week on this island in January and we ventured out in town everyday, even after dark, without any issues whatsoever. Cozumel is known to be a very safe island. Of course I wouldn't veer off the beaten path at night but that's just common sense. If you are there during the day on a cruise stop, do yourself a favor and get off the boat and explore the island. It is very safe, almost everyone speaks english and US money is widely accepted. Cozumel is one of my favorite places on earth!

Archived