Any Advice For Divorced Folks?

Rottweiler Puppy

I have always had a letter but never been asked to show it when boarding the ship. At the age of 14, you can get a passport for a child with only one parent present (did this 3 days after my daughter's 14th birthday). Unfortunately getting a passport for a child 16 or under means you will have to renew in 5 years instead of 10.

Thanks for the info. I will get one signed just in case.

Has anyone here been asked by Carnival if their kids were truly theirs? I am bringing their birth certs as they don't have passports. We have the same last name.

ABSOLUTELY bring the letter. I was coming back from Canada with my boys last summer and got slammed coming back in for not having the letter. They ended up taking the boys and questioning them separately about whether I was their father (my name is on the birth certificate, which I had) and whether they were supposed to be with me. Never again. I'll always have the letter now.

MUCH better safe than sorry. You don't want to be stuck trying to check in because that is the day Carnival decides to follow the rules exactly.

As far as the birth certificates and you having the same last name, that will not be a problem.

I am talking my kids (15 and 17) on a cruise in June. They live with their mom but we have shared parental responsibility. Meaning we wave equal rights but they live with her.

Some folks said I would need to get a waiver and have her sign it. I don't know why. Do they ask if my kids are actually my own or something? How would they even know if I am divorced and such? Do they ask? Me thinks this person is paranoid.

You should not have any problems. I am divorced, have the same situation as you and have taken my minor son on one Royal Caribbean and one Carnival cruise with no problems.

The only documentation needed was the required passport.

I can see a problem if a child has a different last name than the parent.

So, what if you are a widow or widower? Can't get consent in that case.

I am a widow and have been asked to show the father's death certificate a few times (though not always), even though my girls have passports. My children have also been asked where their father is. I never mind - I think there should be more attention paid to this so a parent can't remove kids from the country without the other's permission.

Just because some people have not been asked, does not mean that you won't be. I'd rather have it than risk delay or cancelled travel.

Best,

Mia

In addition to the permission for travel, the notarized letter that you get from the other parent should include this line:

"In addition, I (we) authorize:______________________________to consent to any necessary routine or emergency medical treatment during the aforementioned trip."

I am a widow and have been asked to show the father's death certificate a few times (though not always)' date=' even though my girls have passports. My children have also been asked where their father is. I never mind - I think there should be more attention paid to this so a parent can't remove kids from the country without the other's permission.

Just because some people have not been asked, does not mean that you won't be. I'd rather have it than risk delay or cancelled travel.

Best,

Mia

EXACTLY. How much would it suck to be denied boarding because you happen to be the 1 out of 100 they ask for the document for?

After my Canada border experience (1st time that ever happened in several crossings) I will always have a note.

Rottweiler,

My sister and her son travel all the time and have no issues with documents ever when traveling.

Their last names aren't the same but because her name is on his birth certificate as the "mother" there has never been an issue and no one has ever peered more than 3 seconds to confirm the names matched the documents and moved on.

I've never known Carnival to have enough time to sift through loads of paperwork to confirm who is divorced, married, widowed, as long as you have the documents. I've been on these message boards for quite some time and 6 cruises later, not one incident of someone being turned away with documentation. If your children were minors (under 10) than I could see there being concern. You have those that feel the need to stress about every detail, you'll be fine.

Enjoy your cruise....

I'm assuming your Ex-husband who has not seen her since age one is NOT your childs legal guardian. If you have sole custody, you probably have legal papers that state that. Bring a copy of those papers. Also you were required to submit papers of that sort to get the childs passport. Those same requirements would apply to international travel.

she said her daughter's father...she did not say her ex-husband.....

but that poster poses an interesting question...what about the baby daddy? If he is out of the pix for years...but his name is on the BC...then what? How does she prove she has sole custody? Of course she is raising the child..but does she need to get legal papers to prove that she is raisng her own child? Gets ridiculous at some point.

Another query...what if there is no father listed on the BC? Would the mother need anything at all? What happens when a woman has a baby on her own with donor sperm? so..a 35 year old has a baby by AI...and then has to get a lawyer in order to get a PP for the child? In that case shouldn't just a BC suffice..I guess it would as no father's name is there? Imagine having to walk around for 18 years with papers saying that there is no legal father? Ouch!!!

Actually...all interesting questions......probably better to not name a father on the BC if he is just a baby daddy or if the mom wants him out of her life.....can the hospital force you to put a name on the BC if they know who the father is?

of course if the father is deceased and listed on the BC...then I guess the Death Cert. works.

just askin' that's all...

I am talking my kids (15 and 17) on a cruise in June. They live with their mom but we have shared parental responsibility. Meaning we wave equal rights but they live with her.

Some folks said I would need to get a waiver and have her sign it. I don't know why. Do they ask if my kids are actually my own or something? How would they even know if I am divorced and such? Do they ask? Me thinks this person is paranoid.

I have joint custody with my son's father, and I am taking him on a cruise in October. Even though I will have his passport, as a precaution I am typing up a letter just saying that his father gives me permission to fly with him and take him on the cruise and having him sign it. He doesn't mind signing it, so just in case the cruise line says anything, which is doubtful, I just want to be prepared.

So I'm divorced with a now 15yr old and if I want to travel internationally I have to have a letter signed/notarized by my ex-husband that says he knows I'm travelling out of country.. and Yes I have been asked for it, as had her Dad when he travelled to Hawaii with her.. anytime one parent is travelling especially internationally they should have one.. I actually have married friends who have been asked at the border for a letter.. My letter also states that I can make medical decisions if need be.. Better to have it than not.. small fee to pay.. Now that my daughter is almost 16 we got a letter that spans from now until she is 18, don't know why we didn't do it sooner..

It doesn't need to be complicated.. but I don't leave home without it

Sample

I, ______, the father of the aforementioned child, do hereby consent to the aforesaid child traveling with her mother, _______, and her step-father, _______, outside of Canada anytime between the dates of February 15, 2012 until May 10, 2014. Further consent is grantedto make any and all medical decisions on behalf of the aforesaid child.

EXACTLY. How much would it suck to be denied boarding because you happen to be the 1 out of 100 they ask for the document for?

After my Canada border experience (1st time that ever happened in several crossings) I will always have a note.

I travel with my daughter a lot (twice a year), been divorced since she was three (she's now 15), and I have been asked once :eek:.. But boy was I glad I had the letter..

Rottweiler,

My sister and her son travel all the time and have no issues with documents ever when traveling.

---

If your children were minors (under 10) than I could see there being concern. You have those that feel the need to stress about every detail, you'll be fine.

Enjoy your cruise....

Just because people don't have problems doesn't mean OP won't. What if that is the cruise they are being extra careful because they are being audited or because something happens elsewhere?

I don't see the harm in having the other parent sign something if they are willing to do it. If they can't be found or are being exceedingly difficult, then maybe reassess the risk.

What country do you live in that the age of majority is 10? A minor is under 18 in every state that I am aware of.

So I'm divorced with a now 15yr old and if I want to travel internationally I have to have a letter signed/notarized by my ex-husband that says he knows I'm travelling out of country.. and Yes I have been asked for it, as had her Dad when he travelled to Hawaii with her.. anytime one parent is travelling especially internationally they should have one.. I actually have married friends who have been asked at the border for a letter.. My letter also states that I can make medical decisions if need be.. Better to have it than not.. small fee to pay.. Now that my daughter is almost 16 we got a letter that spans from now until she is 18, don't know why we didn't do it sooner..

It doesn't need to be complicated.. but I don't leave home without it

Sample

I, ______, the father of the aforementioned child, do hereby consent to the aforesaid child traveling with her mother, _______, and her step-father, _______, outside of Canada anytime between the dates of February 15, 2012 until May 10, 2014. Further consent is grantedto make any and all medical decisions on behalf of the aforesaid child.

Brilliant idea!!!

My stepson is an only child, so he brings a friend. We have two notorized letters.....one for my stepson signed by his father saying that it ok fr his mother to take him out of the country and one for his friend allowing the same and that we are responsible for medical care if needed.

Regardless of your relationship with your ex it's more than worth it. We sailed on RC, and they had a standard letter on the website. Not sure about CCL.

I am divorced and have been travelling with my 13 year old son since he was 3. I always have a letter from his father with the dates we will be out of the country incase they ask me at the airport.He signs and puts his phone number on the bottom. They have looked at the letter maybe a couple time. They have questioned him a couple times as well, asking him where his father was etc. Recently I found out that the letter is suppose to be notarized, but I have never had the letter notarized.

Don't recall if we were asked on either of the 2 cruises, but I have it and would rather have and not need, then need and not have.

BINGO!!! I think what we should take from this topic is this: chances are that you will not be asked for it- but it isn't worth the risk.

Just get the letter (if legally/physically possible) and move on to other more pressing issues-like if a Guy Fieri burger is really worth all the hype or if the shrimp cocktail is being offered on that evening's menu in the MDR! ;)

Enjoy your cruise!

I took my daughter (who I have sole custody of) with me a year or so ago. She was fourteen then and I had no letter from her father - granted, she did have her own passport; but her name is different than mine. No questions asked; but better safe than sorry - especially if you are on good terms with her Mom.

yes,you will need a signed (& notarized ) letter stating that you the fathert & have permission of the custoidal custody and that you have persmission to take Full names of kids, on name & dates of cruise. Be sure that names match their passports.

The rule is due to issue with non custoidal parents kidnapping their own childrem

Carole

I have never been asked and have traveled with my kids (adopted and looking nothing at all like me) all around the world. But I always carried the letter from my husband. I agree better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I have been told I need letters for the kids I bringing with me this time even thought they are 18 and legally adults. And I have talked with 3 different people at Carnival and gotten exactly the same reply. So, meaningless though they are, I will have notarized letters from their parents. :confused:

18 year olds are lege adults and do NOT need the letter:)

Your kids are old enough that it won't be an issue. Do you have passports? My son is 16 and we've been on 9 cruises since he was 9. Only once did a boarding agent ask "where's your dad" and I gave her a weird look and said "At home" My friend, Kim, is a widow so she was prepared to answer the question if asked when we cruised with our boys. Your Ex has to go with you to get the passport and again, your kids are old enough to say something if they felt threatened. (Like you were taking them unwillingly out of the country on a cruise :p)

Enjoy the cruise with your kids. It gets sticky when Exs won't consent to passports, etc. Encourage your kids to check out the free teen club O2. They have activities at night just for teens. You have to preregister. They have music, free video games, games, good chance to meet other teens. Not all the activities will be Awesome, but my son enjoys most of them. Even the build your own pizza at 11 pm or the free smoothie tasting. But they have to have the sticker on their card to go.

Archived