Any Advice For Divorced Folks?

Rottweiler Puppy

I am talking my kids (15 and 17) on a cruise in June. They live with their mom but we have shared parental responsibility. Meaning we wave equal rights but they live with her.

Some folks said I would need to get a waiver and have her sign it. I don't know why. Do they ask if my kids are actually my own or something? How would they even know if I am divorced and such? Do they ask? Me thinks this person is paranoid.

my first cruise was at 16 and my mother didnt need a waver but i had a passport and got that with my birth certificate and my father isnt listed there. not sure what id you would need. but on my passport it doesnt say anything about my fathers permission. also me and my mom have different names.

Minors traveling with only one parent or without parents should carry a written consent letter from the non-traveling parent(s) authorizing their international travel, authorities may ask to see such a document at any time. The letter should contain the minor’s name and date of birth, the relationship to the minor, the statement of consent, the parent(s) names and signatures, and a copy of the non-traveling parent’s photo ID.

In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated special procedures at entry/exit points. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child’s travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian, if not present. Having such documentation on hand, even if not legally required, may facilitate entry/departure. For further information, please see the Department of State’s webpage regarding the prevention of international child abduction.

Because I'm getting ready to take my nephew on a cruise and I'd heard the same things you have, I've started doing research. The blurb above is something that I picked up somewhere - possibly Carnival site or a government travel site. I'll try to find the link, but definitely check further into the issue.

edited to add:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

I hope that link will work. It's from the US Customs and Border Protection website and gives an overview.

Minors traveling with only one parent or without parents should carry a written consent letter from the non-traveling parent(s) authorizing their international travel, authorities may ask to see such a document at any time. The letter should contain the minor’s name and date of birth, the relationship to the minor, the statement of consent, the parent(s) names and signatures, and a copy of the non-traveling parent’s photo ID.

In an effort to prevent international child abduction, many governments have initiated special procedures at entry/exit points. These often include requiring documentary evidence of relationship and permission for the child’s travel from the parent(s) or legal guardian, if not present. Having such documentation on hand, even if not legally required, may facilitate entry/departure. For further information, please see the Department of State’s webpage regarding the prevention of international child abduction.

Because I'm getting ready to take my nephew on a cruise and I'd heard the same things you have, I've started doing research. The blurb above is something that I picked up somewhere - possibly Carnival site or a government travel site. I'll try to find the link, but definitely check further into the issue.

It's to remove liability from Carnival if you're trying to skip the country with the kids against the parent's will. Because once you're out of the country with them it 's extremely hard to get them back from some countries. It's just Carnival covering their butt from lawsuit. I believe every cruise line has similar policy.

I have traveled internationally with my daughter, without my husband, three times now (Driving to Mexico, a cruise to Mexico, and a flight to Europe). I have had notarized consent letters with me each time (this IS a requirement that the Mexican Government has, certainly if you are flying there). I will also say, that I have never been asked to show that letter.

I will add, hoever, that on the occasion when I drove to Mexico, I accidentally grabbed my husband's passport instead of my daughter's:eek:. Having that notarized letter (along with a color photocopy of my daughter's passport) really helped coming back into the US! The border agent said to me that he wished all parents would have those letters. He also talked briefly to the kids (my daughter and my friend's two girls), and sent us on our way.

I think with kids as old as the OP's not having a letter shouldn't be a problem, as a border patrol agent can ask the kids, "Hey, are you being kidnapped?" However, if you are at all on amicable terms with your ex, it's better to have the letter, just in case.

It was a requirment to have all documents to enter USA from Australia traveling with kids where only one parent was traveling with the Kids.

Letter of consent is required and should always be kept with you when traveling. You never know when you will need it.

How would they even know if I am divorced and such? Do they ask? Me thinks this person is paranoid.

just wanted to point out that the consent form is recommended whether you are divorced or not. If a child is travelling with only one parent, they *should* have the letter

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or

the exact wording is "strongly recommended" and they "suggest" the letter be notarized.

My DH, traveling out of the country with our oldest son, was asked for the letter - and didn't have it. They could have turned them away, but instead they took son aside to question him about the trip and why I wasn't with them (answer: "she's at home with my younger brothers.") That, and the fact that DH could show round-trip plane reservations, saved the trip for them.

My understanding is that the letter is more often required on flights rather than cruises, but I'd rather be safe than sorry and bring the letter. If you go over to the "Family Cruises" board, several members have posted samples.

Divorce has nothing to do with it. A minor needs to have permission from both parents to leave the country. Obviously if one parent is taking a child out of the country written permission is required from the other parent. It is recommended that this letter be notarized. Customs and immigration at any border can reject entry .

I just went through this to take my son's friend on a cruise. I contacted many agencies about it. It comes down to this-they may or may not ask for the notarized letter but if they do ask and you do not have it you could be denied entery. They do not refund your cruise fare if you fail to have the proper documentaiton.

I am talking my kids (15 and 17) on a cruise in June. They live with their mom but we have shared parental responsibility. Meaning we wave equal rights but they live with her.

Some folks said I would need to get a waiver and have her sign it. I don't know why. Do they ask if my kids are actually my own or something? How would they even know if I am divorced and such? Do they ask? Me thinks this person is paranoid.

Whenever children travel outside the country with only one parent, ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) requires that the missing parent provide authorization for the children to leave the country. The rule is the same whether the parents are divorced or married. it is designed to prevent kidnapping and leaving the jurisdiction by one parent.

It is not really a waiver, it is a permission slip.

You should bring a notarized letter from the absent parent. This is specifically required for visiting Mexico, not sure about other ports.

It is not required for Mexico, it is only required if you fly or drive into Mexico and go through Mexican immigration. Since you do not do that on a cruise it is not a requirement.

It's to remove liability from Carnival if you're trying to skip the country with the kids against the parent's will. Because once you're out of the country with them it 's extremely hard to get them back from some countries. It's just Carnival covering their butt from lawsuit. I believe every cruise line has similar policy.

It has nothing to do with Carnival and liability, it is a government requirement.

In all reality you will probably be fine, but it is probably worth any hassle or delay and then having to get your former spouse to drop everything and fax a letter.

If you really have apprehension to this, you may want to look in any divorce agreement, there may be something in there that allows you to take your children out of the country. That may work as well.

What do they do if you don't have the letter??? My daughters father hasn't seen her or been part of her life since she was 1. I have no idea where to even find him to have him sign a letter.

I'm assuming your Ex-husband who has not seen her since age one is NOT your childs legal guardian. If you have sole custody, you probably have legal papers that state that. Bring a copy of those papers. Also you were required to submit papers of that sort to get the childs passport. Those same requirements would apply to international travel.

For the 15 year old, you will need his mom's consent when applying for his passport, if he does not have one already.

The 17 year old can apply for a passport on his own.

Just to be on the "safe-side," get a noterized letter from their mother. It might save you from many boarding problems.

Agree with all who posted. If you are on amicable terms, just prepare a letter, have her sign it and have it notarized. I just did this for my April trip with my boys without their father (we are still married but in the middle of divorce proceedings). But I have done this for every trip we take without him. Simple letter, outlines travel plans, allows for changes if needed, and acknowledges that he knows I'm taking them and approves.

Was asked for it on a road trip across the Canadian border. Don't recall if we were asked on either of the 2 cruises, but I have it and would rather have and not need, then need and not have.

And while you need both parents to be present for a minor passport application, that does not mean that in the next 5 years, something is not going to dramatically change that would result in one parent not wanting the other to take the kids out of the country.

I would get the letter. I have provided my children's mother with one each time they have cruised and they have been asked for it on a few occasions. I also saw on TV (can't recall the name of the show) a program on the Oasis and they actually had a segment where they did not allow a family to embark because they did not have a letter from the non-traveling parent. Better to be safe than sorry!

Even though my kids have passports, I will always bring for my 2 older kids their fathers death certificate, and my younger child a notarized letter from her dad saying it is ok to travel if he is not with us. I have NEVER been asked for this information, but better to be safe than sorry.

My boss went to Alaska with her daughter.. had her passport and everything. She could not even get on the ship without a notarized letter saying it was ok from her husband to take her daughter.

Better get one, just to be safe

You should bring a notarized letter from the absent parent. This is specifically required for visiting Mexico, not sure about other ports.

I took my 14 year old daughter last year on the Liberty. Hubby stayed home. I prepared and had the letter notarized letter. Guess what? I left it in the car when he dropped us off at the airport.

I called and told him that I may, at the last last minute, need him to fax it to the Port in Miami.

The agents never blinked an eye when we presented our passports -- never did need that notarized letter.

I would get the letter. I have provided my children's mother with one each time they have cruised and they have been asked for it on a few occasions. I also saw on TV (can't recall the name of the show) a program on the Oasis and they actually had a segment where they did not allow a family to embark because they did not have a letter from the non-traveling parent. Better to be safe than sorry!

I saw that episode too. They did eventually let the family on, the father faxed a notarized letter to the port. I think they were "red flagged" because the boyfriend/second husband and mother had the same last name (recently married) but the kids still had their dad's (at home) last name. So, technically, this woman and man could have been ANYONE taking someone's kid on board.

The people who didn't make it on grabbed an expired passport at home, instead of the new one. So they were trying to board with an expired passport. The agent offered to let the rest of the family cruise, have this woman stay behind and have someone Fed Ex it to her the next day and meet up with the ship. The family decided not to cruise at all, probably went to DisneyWorld instead.

I have never been asked and have traveled with my kids (adopted and looking nothing at all like me) all around the world. But I always carried the letter from my husband. I agree better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I have been told I need letters for the kids I bringing with me this time even thought they are 18 and legally adults. And I have talked with 3 different people at Carnival and gotten exactly the same reply. So, meaningless though they are, I will have notarized letters from their parents. :confused:

Thanks for the info. I will get one signed just in case.

Has anyone here been asked by Carnival if their kids were truly theirs? I am bringing their birth certs as they don't have passports. We have the same last name.

When I cruised on Carnival with my friend, her husband, and their daughters, the girls (5 and 7 at the time) were traveling on birth certificates. They weren't asked if the kids were actually theirs. Mind you both parents were present, and their last names are all the same.

On that same trip I was also not asked about whether my daughter was truly mine when I was traveling alone with her, nor was I asked for the consent letter (which I did have). DD and I both have passports, and we are both past passengers on Carnival. I have no idea if that makes any difference.

I really think with 15 and 17 year olds, you are not going to have a problem. :)

Archived