When do tenders typically get canceled?

kaa12740

We will be in Grand Cayman next Tuesday and I am looking at the extended forecast. I have heard that it is easy for the port to be missed due to high winds/weather. So far the wind are estimated to be 15-20 mph. I know it is still far out but does anyone know or remember what the weather was like if you had to miss your stop in Grand Cayman? Love this port so I don't want to miss it so I am already starting to worry!

The decision to move to an alternate tendering location or to skip the island entirely is made only a few hours before scheduled arrival.

The wind direction is more important than the wind speed when deciding whether tendering is safe. Winds of 15-20mph are quite normal.

1. Concur that wind direction is at least as important as wind strength. Since Cayman's port is "open roadstead" seas from the south & west hit the ship's from open ocean while wind and seas out of the east and northeast get blocked by the land and often 'knocked down' - then the anchorage is "in the lee" of the island

2. Most times I've had a ship's excursion cancelled it simply showed up as a credit on my onboard account. I always spent more than that so never had to worry about a credit back; and everything was always on one card anyway.

3. I have had Cayman cancelled 2 days out. This can happen when Cayman has had unfavorable conditions for days in a row and there is no forcast change. While this upset some cruisers on our particular trip - the early cancelation allowed the line to schedule an alternate port rather than having it simply end up a sea day. Changing the port can not happen if the ship waits until they arrive in Cayman to see what the weather is like.

Last time we were there it was really windy! I mean, we couldn't even be on the beach because of the sand whipping around and all water excursions were cancelled. Fortunately, our ship with one other was taken over to Spotts and we tendered from there. We watched as 3 others sailed off for a day at sea. Not sure who can tender from Spotts or if only a few ships are allowed. maybe someone can enlighten us. It was really windy that day and we still made it in!

We are scheduled to stop in Grand Cayman next Wednesday. Weather is calling for windy conditions. Can I expect not to make this port?

Forecast I see says 19kph (=15mph) winds from ENE. This is entirely normal conditions for Cayman and the wind is a favorable direction. No reason to expect it would be a problem.

Last time we were there it was really windy! I mean, we couldn't even be on the beach because of the sand whipping around and all water excursions were cancelled. Fortunately, our ship with one other was taken over to Spotts and we tendered from there. We watched as 3 others sailed off for a day at sea. Not sure who can tender from Spotts or if only a few ships are allowed. maybe someone can enlighten us. It was really windy that day and we still made it in!

We ended up at Spotts on Inspiration once. While I was glad that we didn't miss the port entirely, due to the wind/water conditions our private tour of Stingray City was cancelled. Our tour operator did offer to drive us to Seven Mile Beach so we had something to do after having tendered in to the island to find out that we couldn't do our planned excursion.

Archived