Solstice Class ships- FV cabin question

Tina0922

Thinking of booking this cabin so the family can be all together instead of 2 separate cabins & have some questions.

First, is the walk to the front of the ship that bad? I hear/read about the aft cabins & the long walk and wondering if it is the same in the other direction. (motion of ship does not bother us) Second, what ammenities does that cabin have? Is it your basic cabin or something extra like the CC class offers? Third, looking at the cabin layout it seems only one bathroom, is that true? Is there tvs in the bedrooms as well as in the 'living' area? How many tv total in the cabin? Will there be 'enough room for 3 adults and two boys 7 & 9 to be comfortable? Any other info or advise would be wonderful. Thanks for all you help.

Tina

Thinking of booking this cabin so the family can be all together instead of 2 separate cabins & have some questions.

First, is the walk to the front of the ship that bad? I hear/read about the aft cabins & the long walk and wondering if it is the same in the other direction. (motion of ship does not bother us) Second, what ammenities does that cabin have? Is it your basic cabin or something extra like the CC class offers? Third, looking at the cabin layout it seems only one bathroom, is that true? Is there tvs in the bedrooms as well as in the 'living' area? How many tv total in the cabin? Will there be 'enough room for 3 adults and two boys 7 & 9 to be comfortable? Any other info or advise would be wonderful. Thanks for all you help.

Tina

The walk to the aft staterooms from the nearest stairs is a bit further than the walk to the forward staterooms - but if you are in a venue at aft of the ship it will be a long walk. There are no extra amenities for the FV's - they are classified below Concierge Class. The FV's on S-Class ships are huge (about the size of a Royal Suite), so plenty of space for five, but it is a pain there is only one bathroom for five. Not sure if the bedroom has a tv, Celebrity's website only mentions one tv, so I would not count on it unless someone posts first hand information stating otherwise. While connecting staterooms might be a bit less total square footage, they may be more practical and will afford you a second bathroom.

Tina

Yes, it is a LONG walk to the cabin, especially from anything beyond midship. At least 15 minutes to go get a cup of coffee from the buffet. But it does help you get some exercise. No extra amenities, just like a regular cabin. Yes only one bathroom. One TV in living room only. There is a king size bed in the huge master bedroom, two bunks in the tiny 2nd bedroom, plus room for someone on the couch (not fold out). Plenty of living space. Try TRy TRY to get one on Deck 8, larger cabin and much larger balcony. Steward brought us extra deck chairs, four total, you may need to ask for a 5th. Happy to answer any other questions.

I came across a video on YouTube the other day of a solstice class FV cabin. The cruiser is trying to sell vitamin supplements for the first 90 seconds, but if you can get past that bit of tackiness, they have some video of the cabin and balcony. I think if you search for Celebrity family veranda cabin, it will come up as one of the first ones. I can't remember which ship the video is from, maybe Solstice.

Just make sure you are looking at one from a solstice class ship, as they are very different from the FVs on M class ships.

Hi Tina0922,

On the S-Class Ships, the Family View Cabins are at the very front of the ship… or aprox 1041 to 1063 Feet from the back end of the ship (or close to the length of 3 football fields from fore to aft)

Fortunately, there is both a Staircase & Elevator Bank at the front of these ships… so not quite as bad as being at the back end… where you have to walk to the mid-ship Elevators to get anywhere.

If you consult the Deck Plans though, there isn’t a whole lot of stuff that goes on at the front of the ship… Theatres on Deck 4 – Spa on Deck 12 – and Sky Lounge on Deck 14.

Just about everything else onboard happens Mid-Ship or Aft… so yes you will do a lot of walking (god forbid you forget anything in your cabin and have to go back for it !!)

On the otherhand, Mr Sloop and I did some ship exploring on our recent sailing (our first Celebrity Cruise) and I would say that for the most part the front of the ship was really quiet… with just not as much traffic there. Would also say though, that in rough seas, that it was also the worst place to be. Definitely see us as Midship or Aft folks now.

Hope this is (somewhat) helpful,

Cheers!

Having actually been in the FV on Solstice on a 12 day cruise, let me also mention that although they work great for a group such as yours, there is a LOT of noise in the early AM when docking. This often occurred as early as 5:00 AM. There was also a lot of vibration. Mind you, if I had 4-5 in my party I would book it again, but I would not book it if it was just me and DH.

We have stayed in 7108 on Solstice, it was great for us, it had one master bedroom (no TV in here) a huge lounge area with sofa bed, and a tiny bedroom with a bunk bed. The plus points - SPACE! it was like a mini apartment, as said previously rivalled in size by only the Royal Suite. Also liked that our kids were in a seperate bedroom to us.

We liked the long walk to our cabin it was quiet once there in terms of other passengers - no one is passing this cabin to get to theirs. We like to walk especially when consuming our own body weight in food daily.

Downsides - basic amenities (but it was fine for us) one bathroom, with shower only - but again this was fine. Noise in the morning - yes, we woke early! I grew to love this, and was excited to see us docking in a new place each morning. Our balcony was small ish but I believe deck 8 balcony is great.

For 3 adults and 2 kids - one adult has to take the sofa bed, not sure they will enjoy that. I would stay in one again in a heartbeat if I could get it!

WOW, thanks for all the responses. Just really debating if we should get 2 cabins for the extra bathroom but money wise the one cabin is better...So many decisions to make. Will have to talk it over and see what the family wants. Thanks again. Anybody else can think of anything please add.

Tina

Well, even with one bathroom, you will have so much more living area in the FV that I think it's worth it. If an extra toilet is needed, there are public bathrooms all over the ship. Right at the forward elevator lobby on deck 14 is a very nice set of little used restrooms. If its shower facilities you need, there are nice showers in the gym. We had 4 adults in our FV and never had a problem. We quickly got into a showering routine that worked well for us. Obviously we dressed and did hair and makeup outside of the bathroom

We had 4 of us in a solstice class FV cabin and I really loved it. There was just so much room, it was worth the other trade offs like being far from the buffet area.

It is close to the fun factory which is at the front of the ship and the sky lounge which my husband really loves, but yes it is a journey to get the cup of joe.

One of the things we really liked about it was the three separate rooms: master bedroom, bunk room, and living area. With a boy and a girl, they both wanted their privacy so the three rooms really helped. We also liked being able to go to bed while others watched TV in the living area.

If you know that you'll have to walk a bit to get to the back of the ship, you'll be fine. The 525 sq ft make for a wonderful cabin.

I thought I made up my mind earlier but you guys are making think about it more....Maybe I should check one of these cabins out when on the Solstice March 11 that way I can see first hand. Mom will be with me then and she would be going on this added cruises with the family so that might be a big help. Is there a way to actually go & look around the cabin without being rude or snooping? Dont want to get cabin attendants in trouble letting us look around.

Thanks again for all your help.

Tina

I think that's a great idea. Here's what I would do. Get on the Roll Call for yur 3/11 cruise and ask if anyone has that cabin and would be willing to let you look at it. If not, you can go to Guest Relations onboard and tell them that you are thinking of booking and would like a quick peek, could they check with the occupants and see if it's okay. If not, I would just hang out in the 8th floor forward corridor til the stewards are cleaning and take a glance!

Cathy,

That is what I was thinking about doing, 'sneaking a look' but if its as big as people are explaining I don't know if peaking from the door would allow us to see the whole room. There is luck though, someone just got upgraded to a FV for their family on my sailing, so hopefully they will let me peak. Waiting for their response. Thanks again.

Tina

One time on board we wanted to see what a suite looked like prior to booking a future cruise. Guest relations told us to go to the suite on the morning of disembarkation, and we could take a look inside once the occupants had departed. That way we were not potentially disturbing anyone, and cabin stwerards wouldn't get in trouble. It gave us a chance to take a really good look around and check out storage space, etc., which we could not have done if people's things were in there.

Archived