Costa Maya Explore by Car

TPFilm

Has anyone rented a car in this port? If so, what company? Was it easy to get to the ruins from the town? I like to do things on my own and not be rushed. It seems that id the taxi drivers are charging 10-15PP and if you are two or more people the cheaper option would be renting a car and driving to the ruins.

By the way... Don't you think it is funny that all of the cruise lines insist on calling and referring to Costa Maya as an actual city!?! If you do a little bit of research, you will discover that the entire west coast of Mexico from Cancun to the border is actually called Costa Maya, just like the east coast is called Mayan Riviera. It's just like the way the cruise lines refer to Calica as a city when it is just a dock!

Moral of the story... Do your research. There is more to the ports that the cruise ships stop in than what they tell you about. The cruise lines get a kick-back for their "Bargain Stores" and everyone knows you can get shore tours (excursions are such a cruise ship term... and a joke!) cheaper through reputable companies in each port. Most importantly... you won't be rushed or treated like cattle. Having said that, I have to admit that we have never used an independant. We have always gone on our own (rented a car at Calica/Playa Del Carmen and went to Tulum and explored the area from Tulum to Playa; rented a Geo Tracker in Cozumel and explored the entire island; explored Key West on our own twice - 2nd time rented an electric car - took a taxi to Paradise Island on one trip to Nassau, rented a moped on the 2nd trip.) We have only done one cruise line excursion on five cruises. More fun on your own... Won't be typical cruise ship passenger/tourist who thinks that the only good thing about where the ship docks at are the "bargains" that can be had in the stalls next to the ship!

We were at Costa Maya for two days before we flew home. There's really nothing in the area other then the small fishing village. We took Ivan's tour of the ruins and drove over an hour in the "jungle". Also went to the airport two hours away and still saw nothing more then jungle and an occasional very small town, if you want to call it that. There weren't any places to rent cars that we saw and even if you did there's no place to go without going a very long way. I did my research too. My advice is to relax in town on the small beach area or take a tour with David and Ivan or one of the ships tours if that's your thing. Costa Maya is a very isolated small fishing village.

Archived